Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-07-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
rich b

Default 35-36 3 window door glass channel question

I have been gathering parts for my '35 3 window for a while; but I have not been able to find one of the channels for the door glass. The channels I find do not match the ones that came with the car as they do not have the guide or ear on the rearmost end that runs in the glass channel. Recently there was a build thread on the HAMB and one of the pictures showed the door glass ready to install. The channel that was used also did not have the guide. It seems to me that without the rear guide the glass would want to flop around when partially rolled down. I guess I was wondering if something was changed in production and the guide is not actually needed. My coupe is an early '35. I did find one a few years ago; but it turned out to be the same side as the
good one I already had. Here are pictures showing my
good channel and the one picture I found on the HAMB.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7060004 - Copy.JPG (19.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg P7060006 - Copy.JPG (21.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4198 - Copy.jpg (11.1 KB, 59 views)
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
1936coupe

Default Re: 35-36 3 window door glass channel question

i changed my glass 36 coupe recently glass cracked because the gears slipped, channell did not have any guide(pic) the window does not wobble.
1936coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
jerry grayson

The aftermarket window channels were short so that they could be sort of "universal". They need to be the same length as the glass.
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
Randy in ca

I'm just in the process of stripping down the doors on my '35 3W, and found the same channels that you did. Mine is also an early version '35. Obviously changes were made on the '36 models - on the picture above (and others I've noticed previously) you can see that the regulator is longer, has 8 mounting holes rather than 6, and also has an extra small gear that the handle drives. Does anyone know when the changes occurred and how much difference there is (if any) in the channel setup attached on the inside door ends?

EDIT NOTE: Could you post the link for the HAMB thread you mentioned? I don't think I've seen it and can't seem to find it doing a search for some reason. Thanks.

Last edited by Randy in ca; 11-10-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
rich b

I do not know how to post a link. The title of the
HAMB thread is: "36 3 Window Going to Paint - photos"
should be able to find it with a search.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
DICK SPADARO

The web track is actually early 1935 only. The later versions all used the window glass as a guide. If you are cutting glass for a stock door it must be cut long enough to act as a guide but not to long to prevent the window from bottoming out when cranked into the smoker position. Later production 35 and 1936 versions modified the regulator from a 6 bolt to the later longer 8 bolt unit, this moved the window crank handle further forward and made the operation more comfortable. Care must be exercised if you are cutting glass for a chop top car to insure that the glass is cut wide enough to remain inside the felt channels during up/down operation. In some cases the smoker position may not be used with a chopped roof due to the constraints of the glass positioning and the window may only be opened up or down but not backward.