Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2014, 09:43 AM   #21
Fred A

Default Re: Is Authentic Really Worth It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Bob View Post
My understanding of 1940 chassis numbers is your '40 was 60 hp powered, (but could have been a deluxe if it was a sedan delivery), because...
1-All '40 60 hp cars were standard.
2-All '40 sedan deliveries were deluxe (and could have 60, 85 and 90 hp V8s)
3-The 1940 chassis numbers show only whether the vehicle was a Ford 60hp or 85 hp, Mercury or Lincoln/Zephyr, not body style or model.
My point is, to restore your car correctly, it has to be a standard 60 hp.
Correct
Sorry about the confusion Bob. The serial number stated in my post is of the 18 series prefix, not the 52 or the 022 for the 60hp passenger cars. It was undoubtedly an 85hp car from the factory. I also thought that a 60 could be had in the deluxe, although perhaps uncommon like the factory leather interior. I do however get your point, also that of Mike B which puts additional argument against authentic restoration in any configuration on my part. The alternative for me may just be to get it into service without doing any damage to the core automobile. Sort of a survivor.
I sold two '40 coupes in the last year in order to keep this candidate car for myself. Should have been well thought out until the early-late issue began to come into play as the replacement trunk lid was bolted on and differences began to show. Also in my stable of projects is a pretty nice 67A, having couple of rough spots on the body, but no rot and a good chassis and fenders. A bit more locked in as a Ford V8 model on that one as the title body type reads: BSCPST, which decodes as Business Coupe Standard. This code designation seems to be common as the coupe that I sold in February had the same body type. This car may be called upon to finance the primary project.
That some guys can conduct their projects to please themselves is a luxury that I don't enjoy. I am however not having a bad time and car projects remain very interesting. In the case of the '40 Fords I feel that we are in good company. Thanks for your thoughts: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:48 AM   #22
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34PKUP View Post
Will the next time your electric fuel pump is used be when your illusion is destroyed and you are brought back to the present?
(so much for authenticity )
Yeah. Or, tap the control on my iPad that's playing Glen Miller on the radio speaker. Those send me right back to the present. Fortunately, my memory's so short I quickly forget those momentary distractions and am back in the '40's again. Ah, the bliss of an occasional attack of Partzheimer's Disease. And then, of course, there is what thespians (which I are one) rely on so heavily to work their magic - the "Temporary Voluntary Suspension of Unbelief".

Last edited by Old Henry; 06-30-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-30-2014, 09:54 AM   #23
Mike51Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
The above quote pretty well sums up the 'truth" surrounding most old cars, especially in the "investment" category..
Most old car people like to delude themselves that an "authentic restoration" has more value that a modified car.. The fact of the matter is, that in mainstream vehicles, i.e., Chevy, Ford, etc., a well built modified car will sell quicker and for more money than any authentic vehicle..
I'm not sure I agree. Authentic cars seem to do pretty well at the auctions.
I think restored original cars sell for more than modified vehicles, but at the same time I think it costs more to restore them to pristine original condition than to modify.

Unless we're talking about a major resto-mod with a lot of expensive components.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:40 AM   #24
B-O-B

I'd settle for a 40 std coupe with a plain ol stock engine & accessories. Brings back the memories of the really dark blue & pristine one I had as a stupid teenager & rolled it 3 times. The sucka was flat as pancake. I got it home & backed into the barn & when the ole man opened the barn door in the AM to get his car this thing was staring him in the face. Someday I'll post the whole story & sorry about the hi-jack on this thread.
I had two 40 standards & wouldn't mind another ,
maybe.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote