Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #1
fordman

Default '40 door locks - new springs - ??

I am servicing the door lock mechanism. they "look good" but extremely dirty. I want to replace the springs in this coupe; what is the procedure for replacing the springs?

thanks for the help,

fordman
fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
Fred A

Default Re: '40 door locks - new springs - ??

Are you talking about the door lock cylinders or the rest of the latch mechanism? I had latches with broken springs. Took a look at them and decided to go shopping at the swap meets, as if I wasn't already there. Pleasantly surprised how much original stuff is out there for '40s. Seems to be a large survivorship for those favored cars. Last year I assembled two project '40s to sell and did. Two project cars left and the parts keep showing up. It's hard to imagine rebuilding the latch mechanism. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #3
john worden

Could you post a photo. I forgot what they look like. I have replaced the springs.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
OLD...BILL

Hey fordman: I am in the act of doing that right now I ground the end of the pin that holds the main slide/latch, and was able to slide it back and up so I could get the broken spring out, I thing I have a new spring ( SOMEWHERE) in my shop ?? I see Drake has spring page 281 his cataloge, so if I order one I'll find the ones I have here later.
Grind just enough so you can see the differance in the metal, and set it on 3/4 inch socket over the pin, and the little stop thing,,, on the other side, to support the slide... center punch the pin out,.. there will be enough of the pin left to set back in place when the spring is in place, and tig weld the pin back in, the pin is a stand off type so it a has clearance, to slide back on the spring pressure I am sure I/we can make it work .... mine is a fordor ..close to the same as yours ....OLD....BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
fordman

I was talking about the latch.....when I cleaned them with good flush and lubing....twice, they work wonderful! at least I think they work wonderful, we'll see.

basically low mileage.

thanks for the info,

fordman
fordman is offline   Reply With Quote