Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2024, 03:42 PM   #1
Greg Robertson

Cool 1940 Deluxe, Fuel pump issue and right side rearview mirror

I am the proud new owner of a 1940 Ford Deluxe Convertible and I need information and knowledge of what I discovered under the back seat. It looks like there was a fuel pump assist that has been bypassed.
Driving the car home after my purchase, I could hear the sound of the pump - the wire is still hooked up - but after a while, it was as though the car ran out of gas, although I just filled it up! I pulled over and allowed it to rest and cool down. Then it ran again, going slow on the freeway, but after about 5 miles it stopped again. My thought is that it will run fine on surface roads when there is not much demand for gas, but on more demanding runs, it needs the disconnected fuel pump assist. I appreciate any help on this!
Also, a common problem on these oldies-but-goodies is the right hand mirror problem -- we can't see out of it! I have found two solutions and would like to know which is the best and where I can get supplies. There is the clamp-on that attaches to the wing window, and there is the model that is attached by replacing the hinge pin.
Also, what is the best supplier for these things and also for replacing the carpeting and trunk liner?
Greg Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 04:10 PM   #2
rockfla

Default Re: 1940 Deluxe, Fuel pump issue and right side rearview mirror

The "running" problem you have described could be a multitude of answers and or a multitude of a combination of issues. 1) Pictures are a deal changer and allows a lot of very knowledgeable guys the ability to "see things. 2) Fuel delivery "could be" the issue? 3) what you have described also "could" be a coil, a condenser, BOTH, a carburetor issue, fuel pump issue, BOTH of those along with both the coil and condenser SO.....you are gonna need some patients and a list of things to check and report back on IF you are up to the task?

Is the car 100% stock (and are you sure what 100% stock is?)?? Has it been converted to 12V?? again pictures and more info!!! You will find plenty of advice and knowledge....with as much info you can supply!!!!!
MY $ .02 worth
First, pull your distributor and send it to CharlieNY or Michael at Third Gen (to name two) and have it professionally set up.
Second, IF you chose CharlieNY, GO ahead and pull your carburetor and send that to him too!!! When you get both, that is two items you will know 100% are not any issue and you will be 100% set to go.
Three, while those two items are at CharlieNY, pull the coil off and send it to Skip Haney in Punta Gorda FL and have him redo your coil. Three Items down and 100% off the list and ready to go.
Four, I would ALSO pull your "Stock" fuel pump off and send that along with the carburetor and distributor to CharlieNY, then you can ditch the electric fuel pump!!!! ANOTHER item 100% off your list and ready to go.
Fifth, get a new "good quality" condensor.
After this, I would be willing to bet you have fixed your problem AND invested in insurance for good reliable quality work done for your new ride. JMO

Last edited by rockfla; 05-08-2024 at 04:16 PM.
rockfla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 04:53 PM   #3
Ggmac

All of the suggestions above and I’ll add , check the fuel cap . It must be vented. If your car dies again , remove your gas cap and listen for release of vacuum and see if your car will start . A lot of us have an electric primer or assist pump . Modern gas evaporates quick so anytime a car sits a few weeks,the electric pump is used to prime the mechanical pump .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 09:52 AM   #4
TJ

In addition to the other suggestions you need to look to see if there is an in line filter attached to the electric pump or somewhere else in the fuel line. filter could be the problem and probably hasn't been changed. I would also check the tank to see if there is "junk" in the tank like rust, etc. You will need to remove the gas gauge sender to look in the tank. Having the fuel pump under the back seat is an unusual place for the pump.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 02:16 PM   #5
glennpm

Regarding the mirror, I have this posted in a couple of threads here.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=21

Glenn
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~---------------
Rumble Seat's Notes
Techno-Source for the 1932 thru 1953 Flathead Ford
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote