Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
Big_Guys_baby

Default Generator Troubleshooting

I know it has been discussed here 1000 times, and I thought that I came across a good thread a while back but I cannot find it through the search function.

I need to know the best practical steps for troubleshooting charging problem. The generator worked and charged well prior to engine removal. After I put the engine (all nice and painted along with firewall and everything else) is has had erractic charging issues. I double checked and cleaned the ground for the battery side and it has one grounding strap on the engine to firewall as well. Re-cleaned those and seems to be good. I know at regular idle speed the generator doesn't charge, but even when i rev her up the ammeter gauge doesn't swing up to "charge" like it used to do. To be fair the belt is not as tight as before, not sure how dramatic a difference that makes.

The engine started up and ran great today but died after idling for about 10 minutes and wouldn't start back up. It showed extremely weak spark with a spark tester. 10 minutes on the battery charger and she fired right back up again.

If someone has advice on the best practical steps or can point me to another thread or article that would be great.

1946 Biz Coupe. 6volt positive ground.

Thanks!
Big_Guys_baby is offline   Reply With Quote