Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-17-2015, 10:47 PM   #1
Doctor's Ford

Default 33 clutch & brake pedal/pads

Would like to know what is correct in reference to the clutch and brake pedals on my 33 Tudor. I bought 2 replacement pads, believe made by Drake, but only the brake fits, not the clutch. My clutch pedal has no thread (Photo 1). My original worn-out pad has a central threaded stud that is secured in place with a nut. This stud is smaller in diameter than the one on the brake pad (photo 2). My old brake pedal is threaded (photo 3) and the brake pad stud screws directly into the pedal without need for a nut, as is the case with the clutch. The stud in all replacement pedal pads is the larger one, 1/2 inch diameter, and won't fit into the clutch pedal.

My only surviving pad has concentric circles on the rubber. The replacement offered for 33 has pyramid design (photo 4).

I can not find clear answers regarding these questions:

1) Are my pedals correct?
2) Do both clutch and brake pedals use nuts to secure the pads?
3) Which is the correct design for the pads for 1933, the pyramid type or the concentric circles?

I don't think it matters, but just in case, this is a RHD car. Thanks to all for your input. Manuel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clutch pedal, original.jpg (31.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Clutch & brake pedal pads, original.jpg (75.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg brake pedal, original 2.jpg (34.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Brake pads, original & reproduction.jpg (73.5 KB, 32 views)
Doctor's Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:00 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 33 clutch & brake pedal/pads

On the 33 and 34s I have seen both the clutch and brake pedals are threaded for the pads to screw directly into and they are interchangeable. The pedal in the first photo looks like it is setup to allow the pad to be placed in different positions. Was this to adjust the distance between the pedals or up and down by rotating the pad to different positions?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:17 PM   #3
Doctor's Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
...The pedal in the first photo looks like it is setup to allow the pad to be placed in different positions. Was this to adjust the distance between the pedals or up and down by rotating the pad to different positions?
I think is something much simpler. This is a photo of the reverse side of the clutch pad. It has an X-shape design that fits exactly into the X-shape channels in the clutch pedal. I think is just to lock the pad in place and prevent rotation. But again, why is the brake pedal different, as shown in my initial photos?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutch pedal pad reverse, original.jpg (43.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 05-17-2015, 11:23 PM   #4
Andy

The clutch pad/arm is the 1932 design. The brake parts are the supperceding style. No idea how they are both on one car. Using up stock or production problems most likely.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:03 AM   #5
DavidG

Manuel,

As Andy indicates, you have a mixture of pedals, namely the first version of the '33 clutch pedal which uses the same pedal pad as a '32 and the second version of the '33 brake pad with the revised pedal pad attachment. Functionally, they are equal and the motive for the change was likely a cost savings. While the LHD and RHD pedals are quite different from one another, the pedal pads were the same in both applications whether early '33 or late '33.

The pyramid pattern in the face of the pad is original. Bob Drake offers both types of pads.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:03 AM   #6
Doctor's Ford

Thanks for the replies. What I will do then is machine the larger pad stud to make it fit into the clutch pedal and secure it with a nut, which is the way this car was originally built.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:00 AM   #7
larry/Texas

I ordered pads from MAC'S for my '33 and they were the large bolt. They did not work and tried to return but MAC'S would not give me credit. Further looking at them and catalog pictures, I ordered from someone else the '32 pads and they worked. My serial number says it is an April car so as David G says above my '33 fits the early model year.
larry/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:48 PM   #8
Doctor's Ford

Yeah, that explains it, and you are right. I checked in Drake's catalog and others and the 32 pad is different than 33 in the rear. My sedan however is August 33 number, a little late in the year. But car was for export to South America, so may be it used whatever was left over for a less demanding market. Now I know what I need. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:06 PM   #9
bobH

I had a similar situation with my late 33 / early 34. Mac's gave me the runaround - my fault, nobody every complained before, etc. The Mac's pads I got, came with 1/2-20 studs, which as near as I can tell, is incorrect for 'anything'. My fault.I found some nos pads from someone here on the barn, which are correct, and fit on with no problems. So, I don't know how to solve your situation, and I do sympathize...
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote