Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2014, 01:08 PM   #21
Mike51Merc

Default Re: Another $2000 V-8 Gas cap. for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
Makes me wonder what to do with my collection
A goldmine! It's a goldmine, I tell ya!

Just like pet rocks, Cabbage Patch Kids, Beanie Babies, and the like, these gas caps are enjoying their 15 minutes of fame. Perhaps you should cash in while the getting is good.

Then again, the mere existence of more caps is going to dilute the market terribly.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #22
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51Merc View Post
Yes I know that. I think you missed my point. On the first page it tells you how many bids were made. Click on that to see who the bidders are.

The bidders have their true names disguised by ebay, but if you click on their name it shows you a 30 day history. If their history says that all of their bids have been made with this same seller, then something stinks in Denmark.

It especially stinks if they are a newbie with little/no feedback history. Chances are their identity was fabricated just to shill for this particular auction.
The numbers get skewed on bidders that use 3rd party software/services like r***t (22) does because of the number of bids that get put in on a single item. When you've made 200 total bid, but 40 of them were automated bids on a single item, that skews the percentage with a single seller. Doesn't make them a shill bidder.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #23
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51Merc View Post
Yes I know that. I think you missed my point. On the first page it tells you how many bids were made. Click on that to see who the bidders are.

The bidders have their true names disguised by ebay, but if you click on their name it shows you a 30 day history. If their history says that all of their bids have been made with this same seller, then something stinks in Denmark.

It especially stinks if they are a newbie with little/no feedback history. Chances are their identity was fabricated just to shill for this particular auction.
If you check further you will see that one of the same bidders who made multiple bids, bid on the one that was sold and the current one that is for sale. Both auctions connected? I doubt it.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:32 PM   #24
37 Coupe

Mayby they(the same bidders you note) just like Mike's totally Early V8 stuff. On a note of people paying high prices on auction items live auctions are no different then Ebay.I attended a local auction last summer of Model A and T cars and parts , estate of the longtime collector and restorer. A 1929 "roadster" very nice looking went for $34,000,way more than average,and to top it off the title was for the chassis a tudor sedan. The body was Brookville and not disclosed by auctioneer. On another item a Model T part ,I think, was bid and sold for a couple hundred,no one seemed to know what the part was actually for including the auctioneer and the buyer. Someone asked him if he didn't know what it was for why did he bid it up ? He opened his wallet and said " I have a lot of these",showing about a 3/4" thick bunch of hundred dollar bills, " I don't have one of those",showing the part or tool or whatever it was.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:21 PM   #25
Mike51Merc

Quote:
If you check further you will see that one of the same bidders who made multiple bids, bid on the one that was sold and the current one that is for sale. Both auctions connected? I doubt it.
I didn't say THIS auction was shilled. I just said it happens and gave some clues to look for.

Buyer beware, that's all.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:50 PM   #26
35fordtn

If I may chime in on this, then I'll leave this never ending topic alone. On ebay there are a lot of buyers that buy strictly from me. I allow them to hold their shipments here or pay over the phone or even pick up once monthly in person. These conveniences that they like and therefore they usually only bid on their favorite sellers stuff. If they need something and I have it, I list it. I am the same way, I collect old Ford lietrature and will only buy from one literature seller on ebay.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:33 PM   #27
trainguy

Holy Cow,There is another one,Buy it Now ,$1000,WOW
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:59 AM   #28
34PKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 merc-ct View Post
makes me wonder what to do with my collection
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8coopman View Post
a "package deal" at $7,500 ought to be fair to buyer and seller! Dd

holy cow !
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #29
Terranova

There's three now.
Terranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #30
41panelmark

Quote:
Makes me wonder what to do with my collection

Don't know that I could afford $1000 but do any of those fit the 40-41 series trucks or big trucks?
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote