Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-28-2016, 04:20 PM   #1
Pinesdune

Default How do you move a T with a stuck engine and stuck transmission bands and or brakes

Hi guys, I'm looking at a '27 T touring, it's been in a shed for 50 years, the engine is dry seized. I'm looking to go bring her home next week and it crossed my mind I should have a plan if the transmission bands or a brake is stuck. I was thinking of taking some poly sleds to put under the rear wheels to skid her out but was wondering if there's anything I can easily or at least reasonably disconnect in the field to get her to roll. I've restored a Ford model A, but she's nothing mechanically like a T, that's like comparing a horse to a zebra. Any ideas/suggestions would be great. Or just any specific tools I should tote along to help free things up. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pinesdune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:51 PM   #2
nhusa

Default Re: How do you move a T with a stuck engine and stuck transmission bands and or brake

I assume that you are moving it a few yards.
I would remove the keys from the rear wheels.

It will take a wheel remover (available from various venders).
Then remove the key, grease the taper, and replace the wheels.
Snug the nut but don't tighten.

Or you could take a screwdriver to remove the top of the transmission and a few wrenches to loosen the bands.
Don't drop anything inside the transmission!
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:44 PM   #3
CharlieB

Default Re: How do you move a T with a stuck engine and stuck transmission bands and or brake

The sleds are your best bet for quick action. Beyond that it gets complicated if you've got no T savvy. If all's well (not stuck) putting the emergency brake in the vertical position puts the car in neutral (watch the left pedal move as you move the handle. 1/2 way down on that pedal is neutral) & releases the rear wheel emergency brakes. Full back locks the rear wheels and full forward puts it in high gear. Might move when vertical even if the engines locked. Not sure if I'd try to pull the r. wheel keys. You'll need a puller to get them off anyway. Sleds are a better option.
CharlieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 02:32 AM   #4
big job

We have dragged many with 4 planks and used dish washing soap and the tire will
slip just like on ice. What ever you do is do not tie a rope on the front axle,, one
jerk and ya liable to rip the wishbone out of its socket... hook it to the frame
up where the U bolts are.....
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:59 AM   #5
thom

Some good advice given. Not meaning to hijack this thread , but on the subject of moving a T... after I got my '21 Touring home and moved it around a little, I realized that I was putting a load on the rear spring and rear crossmember. The driveshaft was included , a new one actually, but not installed. The shaft, tube, and radius rods (?) not being on the car means that the rear end is connected to the frame only by the spring. I am now being very gentle with it to avoid doing any damage.
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:42 AM   #6
Pinesdune

Thanks for the help guys, I have a fairly portable 10 ton hydraulic puller set and torch so the keys from the rear wheels wouldn't be hard at all. Thanks for the tip on where to pull from as well, that was going to be my next question. I'm hoping all goes well as she's a fair distance, I'll already be on the road for 5 hours each way, I don't need a fight when I get there, but if there's no plan in place, Murphy will strike lol

Old 10-29-2016, 08:43 AM   #7
Pinesdune

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieB View Post
The sleds are your best bet for quick action. Beyond that it gets complicated if you've got no T savvy. If all's well (not stuck) putting the emergency brake in the vertical position puts the car in neutral (watch the left pedal move as you move the handle. 1/2 way down on that pedal is neutral) & releases the rear wheel emergency brakes. Full back locks the rear wheels and full forward puts it in high gear. Might move when vertical even if the engines locked. Not sure if I'd try to pull the r. wheel keys. You'll need a puller to get them off anyway. Sleds are a better option.

Thanks for the tips, I'll only try the keys as a last resort.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:17 PM   #8
BORN2L8

If you have access to some sheets of plywood and vehicle dollies this works fine. Don't attach the strap centered on the front axle like I did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06219.jpg (95.2 KB, 26 views)
BORN2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:40 PM   #9
jeep44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinesdune View Post
Thanks for the help guys, I have a fairly portable 10 ton hydraulic puller set and torch so the keys from the rear wheels wouldn't be hard at all. Thanks for the tip on where to pull from as well, that was going to be my next question. I'm hoping all goes well as she's a fair distance, I'll already be on the road for 5 hours each way, I don't need a fight when I get there, but if there's no plan in place, Murphy will strike lol

You really NEED the original-type wheel puller when removing the rear wheels. It screws onto the fine threads of the outer surface of the hub, and the center bolt pushes against the axle. With anything else, you run the risk of ruining your wheels. Remember,these wheels are mostly almost 100 year old wood-you certainly don't want to put the legs of a standard puller on them.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:24 PM   #10
Pinesdune

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep44 View Post
You really NEED the original-type wheel puller when removing the rear wheels. It screws onto the fine threads of the outer surface of the hub, and the center bolt pushes against the axle. With anything else, you run the risk of ruining your wheels. Remember,these wheels are mostly almost 100 year old wood-you certainly don't want to put the legs of a standard puller on them.

Crud, I didn't know that T wheels were like that on the rear, I thought they would be similar to an A wheel with the cast collar, I'll google a pic to see what I'm working with, thanks for the heads up .