Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
Ken Lauderback

Default Halogen headlight bulbs

I remember reading that most people who use the halogen bulbs in original headlights have also updated the charging system to an alternator. I very rarely drive my Model A at night, but when I have had to do so I really don't like the original headlight bulbs. I have a hard time seeing with the light they provide. (I admit that the reproduction reflectors may have some effect on the amount of light as well.) My question is this: since the only time I would ordinarily drive at night would be coming home from our monthly Model A club meeting, which is about a half-hour drive, would I have any trouble using the halogen bulbs with the original generator and 6-volt system? I don't plan any all-night drives but would like some more light on the road!
Thanks
Ken
Ken Lauderback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
Jordan

Default Re: Halogen headlight bulbs

Shouldn't be a problem, but make sure your reflectors are polished. And if you're generator isn't putting out enough electricity, your lights would still be dull. check your grounds too. If your reflectors are polished and you have good grounds, there is no need for halogen bulbs. My car has the stock 6v 50 candle light bulbs, and they are just as bright as halogen lights with good reflectors.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
Ken Lauderback

The reflectors are polished, however they are the reproduction ones and it is my understanding that they are not silver plated like the originals were. I have good grounds; each light has an additional ground wire added to make sure. Just not liking the light output here.
Thanks for the reply.
Ken Lauderback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lauderback View Post
The reflectors are polished, however they are the reproduction ones and it is my understanding that they are not silver plated like the originals were. I have good grounds; each light has an additional ground wire added to make sure. Just not liking the light output here.
Thanks for the reply.
It's not the polish, it's the shape and focus of the light.

If you take a "mag light" and turn it on it gives off a lot of light but it is better to see something specific when you focus the beam.

Brighter lights without focus will only increase it's usefulness, and piss off on coming drivers, a little as compared to the same bulb with a reflector of a proper shape and the light focused.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
Kevin in NJ

The 35w halogen light bulbs you buy from Classic and Vintage bulbs (in Australia) works GREAT with your Generator!!!!

Companies the sell these bulbs would love to get more money from you by selling you an alternator.

The catch is you need to increase the charge rate by moving the third brush if you plan on driving for extended periods of time. A half hour is probably fine.

Couple of other catches. You need to be sure you have a good ground path and that you have good clean connections. You should also look close at where your wire go into the connectors. Make sure there are good connections and you have not lost a few strands. You also need to make sure the bulbs are focused properly. Improperly focused and you loose light energy from where you need it.

My brother has been running the CVB bulbs for a number of years now. Bright light to let you run 55 on back roads even with is original reflectors that have poor silver.

A word of caution. You can also get bulbs made in India. They are not set up with the filament in the correct position making them hard to focus. These bulbs may also be of lower quality. Bill Hirsch seems to be the importer as we were discussing these issues with their buyer at Hershey. They had a CVB bulb next to their bulb and you can see the quality difference, even down to the plating on the bulb base.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
John/CT

I do a lot of touring, even at night. I found the stock filament bulbs and the halogen replacement bulbs that fit the stock Model A sockets to be inadequate. The halogen headlight kit that replaces the light socket with a modern 3 prong receptacle and modern bulb to be significantly brighter and just as easy to aim as the stock headlights.

Walt Bratton recommends a 60 amp alternator to power their halogen headlight kit Part #17820.

John
John/CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
2manycars

I have completely original lights in my tudor, and the original reflectors still have the factory silver, which I have polished twice in 35 years. The lights are great. I have them properly focused, and aimed, and I can see just fine. Modern is not always better.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:13 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
I have completely original lights in my tudor, and the original reflectors still have the factory silver, which I have polished twice in 35 years. The lights are great. I have them properly focused, and aimed, and I can see just fine. Modern is not always better.
DITTO! I have the same and driving at night is just fine.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote