Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-22-2016, 01:06 PM   #1
nor6304

Default Paint code for dash garnish 1950 Merc

Asking for a friend Dark Grey Metallic paint code for a 1950 Mercury coupe Dash & garnish molding if anyone can help Thank you
nor6304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:48 PM   #2
Rand

Default Re: Paint code for dash garnish 1950 Merc

Anxious to see what you come up with cuz I've been after that paint code too. Along with the ivory paint code for my accessorie wheel
Good luck! Randy
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:55 AM   #3
rotorwrench

The FoMoCo code was M14357 for Dark Blue Metallic. It looks kind of gray but it is actually considered a blue color. The PPG Ditzler codes are more complex, DAL-10690 dark blue poly or DL-10679 for blue poly. These come from the old chip sets. The problem is that they don't give you an actual color formula and when they do, it's using colors that aren't numbered and are equally unknown to the modern world. Plus they are metallics which have to have the correct amount of metallic additive to get the shade and consistency right. I'm fortunate enough to have at least one paint distributor that can perform a decent match for modern paints. TCP Global claims they can match the colors but I've heard both positive and negative reports about their color matches here on the Barn.

As for the accessory steering wheels, they were just an ivory shade of plastic. They have a tendency to yellow with age too so that doesn't help you much. They also came in a dark smoky metallic color but it is a rare thing to see them in this color. If a person wants to PC7 repair the cracks in an old plastic wheel and paint it as a repair job then you might try Wimbledon White or something of that nature to give it an ivory look. It's either that or have it professionally recast with the modern plastics. It's pricey but the molding and the tempering processes take a lot of time. I don't know to many people that give away their time for these type of restorations.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:43 PM   #4
nor6304

Thank you for responding Ron
nor6304 is offline   Reply With Quote