Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2016, 02:35 PM   #1
Randy1944

Default Removing front windshield

I am planning to remove front windshield tomorrow on my 39 pickup and wondered if someone might offer words of warning? I sprayed PB Blaster around the rubber seal and have cranked it out about an inch. I have not tried to crank it further. I have a man that is coming tomorrow to remove old glass and later install new glass. What should I look for or expect in the way of problems?
Thanks
Randy1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:20 PM   #2
john worden

Default Re: Removing front windshield

Rusty screws at windshield frame/hinges and windshield frame/crank mechanism. Rust in the bottom of the frame visible after removing glass.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:48 PM   #3
SofaKing

Ford warned about correct alignment , torque and length of screws in the frame or the glass may crack. Here is my old cracked glass. Let us know how it goes, about to tackle all the glass in my 39 also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (52.0 KB, 36 views)
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:07 PM   #4
Tom/SC

Removing the complete windshield from the truck will make it much easier to work on.
Tom/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:37 PM   #5
39 STD

I agree with Tom. Remove the frame from truck. The frame screws are a pain to get out. Some may even have to be drilled out, to split the frame.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:52 PM   #6
TJ

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Are you just taking the frame out for the glass man or are you expected to have it all apart before he gets there? If you are expected to take it all apart you might want to put your glass man's appointment on hold. Most of these do not come apart easy and require a lot of soaking with PB Blaster and even some heat. If your glass man is taking it apart and charges by the hour it could get real expensive.
Don't want to be discouraging, but this job can be and is usually very difficult and time consuming..
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:55 PM   #7
V12Bill

I soaked mine with ATF and acetone for days. In the end, I still broke a few screws that had to be drilled out. In the end, the glass was thoroughly broken and the frame was rusted and needed to be patched up. I agree with the above, reschedule your appointment or pay through the nose to have your glass man do the job. When you get it apart you will find rust. How much rust is up to how much luck do you have?
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:31 PM   #8
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

Also you may have to take out the dash and send the wind out mechanism away with the windscreen to be worked on.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:12 PM   #9
Randy1944

Thanks for all of the great information. It does sound as if tomorrow will turn out to be an "assessment". He told me by phone that he would remove the frame and furnish the glass. He either really knows what he is doing or doesn't realize what he is getting into. I will report tomorrow on what happens. Thanks again and "How about those Broncos" and "(Peyton". We love him here in Tennessee - he really knows how to handle himself.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:07 AM   #10
oldandtired

Randy...If you end up having to use heat to loosen the screws holding the frame together or even if you do not, the windshield rubber seal can be an issue as well. It is not unusual for old ones to be cracked and in need of replacement. I have used bad words trying to remove pieces of old seal from the channel it goes into.
Seems like on the 39 pickups the header panel unscrews allowing access to the upper windshield hinges. The two pins attaching the bottom of the windshield to the windshield regulator arms should not be too hard to get to in order to remove the windshield.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:39 AM   #11
Talkwrench

[QUOTE=39 STD;1237598]I agree with Tom. Remove the frame from truck. The frame screws are a pain to get out. Some may even have to be drilled out, to split the frame.[/QUOTE

Amen!
Old 02-08-2016, 09:30 AM   #12
325w

A friend loaned me his Kroil penetrating oil. Best stuff ever for rusted screws are bolts.
325w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:34 PM   #13
Randy1944

Update: The windshield man never showed up or even call. Just as well. I did very well removing items. I did manage to get the knob on top of dash to work - I cannot remove the knob yet- still stuck. I got both top hinges loose and the only thing holding the windshield is the two bottom arms connected to scissor arms. I put a bunch of PB Blaster on each screw and left it to soak. Tomorrow, I intend to get the two screws loose and then remove glass and rubber seal from windshield ring. I am anxious to see the condition of the windshield ring. Things never seem to work out as we expect.
Stay Tuned for more suspense.
Randy
Old 02-12-2016, 08:07 AM   #14
Randy1944

Update! Once again, patience and penetrating oil did the job. I was able to remove the entire frame and glass from the truck. I have now started soaking the screws(on each end of the frame) with penetrating oil. The frame looks pretty good - I will find out more when glass and rubber seal comes out.
SUCCESS ONCE AGAIN. Patience and penetrating oil win out.
Randy
Old 02-12-2016, 09:34 PM   #15
Lawson Cox

I have been soaking my windshield screws with all sorts of penetrating oil for about 3 or 4 years off and on and still l haven't managed to get them loose. I have tried heat as well to no avail. I am about ready to take it to my machine shop buddy and have him drill them out. I know two will HAVE to be drilled out because the head is broken off. Almost mint frame so I don't want to screw it up.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote