Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
Brother Hesekiel

Default California Y.O.M. license plates

My '31 Roadster is licensed to those ugly white California plates. I can't possibly tell you how much that bothers me. I'm therefore desperately trying to get a decent set of 1931 California Y.O.M. plates, but the few that are on the market are either extremely crappy or silly expensive.

I am working for weeks on a set that's offered for $375.00 by a commercial seller. I offered $300, and he said "no, Pedro." I offered $325 a couple weeks later and he responded with "$350 and not a penny less."

My question to you: what did you guys pay lately for a nice set of your Y.O.M. license plates?
Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
Vern

Default Re: California Y.O.M. license plates

It has been a while since I got mine, but that seems to be the range for a DMV approved set. You need to keep looking.
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
Ross/Kzoo

It's a matter of supply and demand. He's got the supply and you've got the demand. Think about this, the population growth in Ca has skyrocketed since 1931 and the percentage of people wanting that YOM plate is probably higher than any other state while the available initial stock is probably lower.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
zzlegend

That seems like the going price but maybe shop around a little more. Make darn sure they are DMV clear first.
2 years ago, 150.00. Now on my beater.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

$350 sounds really high to me. I was really stupid 6 years ago and passed on 2 NOS 1955 Minnesota plates still in the wrapper for $10. I think I paid about $15 to $25 for my good used match pairs of 28, 29, and 31 plates. That was about 6 years ago.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
joe plumber

Two weeks ago I picked up a set of 1951 Calif.plates for $25.00 at an antique machinery show .I couldn't believe the price and I told the lady she could get more out of them .She said she was getting tired of toting them around ,so I purchased them .I always wanted a pair of them ,but wasn't going to pay a crazy price for them .
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:14 PM   #7
P.S.

I had a nice pair of 1931 plates given to me by a friend of a friend who had them in his garage. The trick is to put the word out that you want some, then be extremely patient!

Next step, assuming they are clear, is to take them to DMV and register with them. DMV looks at them as "vanity" plates, so will charge an extra vanity plate fee every year you renew your registration.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #8
Fordors

California, like Illinois, does not allow repainting of plates so I would be certain that they have not been redone before handing over any cash. That is another factor that will drive up the price; Ross/Kzoo said it best, supply and demand. How many sets of 1931 plates, factory painted, in nice shape, with a valid number are out there?
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:34 PM   #9
SeaSlugs

They dont? ive known several people repaint il plates...they kept the same color combination and meticulously redid them tho...

in IL we cant register the YOM plates so i got my set for $30... we can run them on the car but must have the true antique IL legal plates in the car with up to date registration and all that fun stuff...
Old 08-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #10
TerryH

California definitely allows old plates to be painted and restored, they just need to be done in the correct color for that year and not otherwise altered. I bought a set of restored 1930 plates about 6 years ago, for something like $200, and the looked like new. I took them to our local DMV where they carefully looked at them, then referred to some booklet or manual that showed the original colors, then checked to be sure the numbers were still valid. The reputable plate restorers should guarantee that the plates are good and will pass DMV.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:06 AM   #11
Brother Hesekiel

Yes,
they are unrestored, which I like, in nicely preserved condition, with a low number combination, and the seller guarantees that they are DMV clear which is about 75% of the price. Not DMV clear plates are cheap.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:24 AM   #12
Brendan

a guy gave me a set for my 36 pickup and when I bought my A the seller through in a set!

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:46 AM   #13
Fordors

OK, I stand corrected. My information came from this website,
http://www.turnerplates.com/YOM%20La...tml#california

In looking further on the 'net some in Illinois are even saying there is a loophole in the IL law whereby one can display a '32 Colorado plate for example. I think the best way for me will be to get it in writing from our Secretary of State's office. I do have a nice '32 IL set I'd like to repaint if legal.
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:10 AM   #14
al's28/33

just buy them otherwise you could hee and haw for the next six months, woulda shoulda coulda.............or..............wait till the swap meet in Turlock in January and you should have a pickers paradise to find and compare multiple plates.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #15
Skeezixx

I picked up a 1958 Louisiana plate in nice shape from eBay for $38.00 to put on my MGA about 2 years ago.

A friend of mine who has a shop in which he is working on 7 Model As which are visible from the street had a complete stranger walk in and hand him a stack of La Plates. In it were front and rear sets for 1930 and 1929.
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #16
Jim Brierley

I'm not positive about this but I've been told that you can use plates that are one year newer or older than the car you are wanting to use them on. Check it out before jumping in, but having a larger group to choose from may help.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:45 AM   #17
Patrick L.

Hmm, and I thought I paid too much 25-30 yrs ago for the last set I bought. $30
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #18
Brother Hesekiel

Not in California.
California issued new license plates every year from 1920 'til 1950. Then came 1951 'til 1955 plates, then 1956 'til 1962 plates. Finally, in 1963, California ordered every motorist to turn in their plates in exchange for the new, smaller, now famous California "black" plates which have the '63 embossed in the metal.

So no matter how old an original California car is, even one that was sold new in California in 1928, it would have 1963 California black plates on them. Any California car with older then 1963 plates carries Y.O.M. plates, and since this could be a rusty hulk from Alaska that was "imported to California" recently, California black plates are cherished cars as they prove that the car is a "real" California car. Now, however, even cars up to 1969 are eligible for Y.O.M. plates, so some California black plates cars are Y.O.M. plate cars. I could explain how to identify them, but it's not part of this discussion).

I am going to the Pomona Swap quite frequently. I know that any decent set of Y.O.M. plates costs at least $250. Naturally, supply and demand control the price. A set of 1932 plates is extremely expensive, as all those rodders with their plastic bodies, aftermarket framed Deuces want one.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #19
PO51

From what I've seen good DMV cleared plates California for a matched pair are around $300- $350 He is asking top price. The last few times I've been to Pomona (latest few weeks ago) no plates were available for my 1928. The Model A swap meet in San Bernardino sept/oct may have some.
PO51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #20
Charlie Stephens

Does anyone know of a good price guide for plates? Garage cleaning time is coming up.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote