Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-30-2016, 04:52 PM   #1
rods29sedan2

Default problems adding turn signals

Ok, I'm not the world's greatest auto-electrician but, I can usually make things work. Adding turn signals to a pre-1940 pickup. I want to use a small, discrete lighting unit that I got from speedway. The problem is that the small bulbs don't offer enough resistance to run the flasher. The signals work fine with the 'standard' dual contact or single contact bulb. How do I correct this and use the small bulbs?
rods29sedan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:12 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: problems adding turn signals

Would guess you are using a thermal flasher unit, you need a flasher designed for LED light (electronic type). You could also add resistance to the setup you have, a resistor in parallel to the bulb to ground. Should be able to find the ones they use for LED bulb applications.

Note: according to scooder below (#6) there is a difference in electronic flashers, one that works with LEDs and one that works with filament bulbs. I have no idea on this one, but something to check out for sure!

Last edited by JSeery; 05-01-2016 at 08:49 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:13 PM   #3
chap52

Are those "discrete" bulbs going to be bright enough to be noticed by other drivers?
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:16 PM   #4
rods29sedan2

that's what Speedway advertises them as....turn signals.....I'm sure they'll be visible...if I can just get them to work.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:38 PM   #5
rods29sedan2

Using LED flashers, I get nothing...no activity at all......with using a solid state flasher, same results.....the ONLY thing that works is a thermal flasher and the conventional large 2 or single contact bulb. I think I HAVE to have the in-line resistors to make it work like I want. I'm running out of ideas.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:41 AM   #6
scooder

Is the "solid state" flasher you tested one built for LED bulbs? You need the correct flasher, there are solid state or electronic flashers that are designed to work with normal bulbs, these won't work with LED's.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:21 PM   #7
rods29sedan2

Fast forward.....threw out all the LED flashers, solid state flashers and LED resistor stuff....went back to the only thing that was working.....filament bulbs. Discovered that, altho the small mini-bulb unit I bought from Speedway wouldn't engage the thermal flasher alone, when you linked the front and rear, together they offered enough resistance that they worked just fine. Learned a lot from the trial and error but, it's always nice to get a positive outcome in the end. Thanks for all the input.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:52 AM   #8
fortyfords

Would you please post a picture of the turn signals lights that you bought from Speedway, I'm curious as to the type you bought. Thanks
fortyfords is offline   Reply With Quote