Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-29-2018, 11:18 AM   #121
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Model A cross-country migration

Check out their Facebook again, has been updated. Has video of their initial drive/checkout in Oregon, and a hilarious on the road workout video.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:33 PM   #122
wmws
BANNED

I hope they follow up and let us know what happened with the toe in.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:35 PM   #123
StockyM

Thank you all for your support! We made it home safe. Sadly will have to wait for my car to be shipped home. Very exited to tear into it and figure out what went wrong with the toe in. Speedo cable looks like an easy fix. Got in the rental car to come home and was already disappointed in it. We loved the feel of the Model A! I am hooked!!! Cant wait to use it as a daily driver next summer. Im sure I will be hitting you up soon as I do a good once over on the car and repairing. First addressing the toe in and a new seal on the radiator. As you saw rather than going through the overflow it would leak out the top. Motometer was broken will put a new one on. Not sure how the brakes should feel being they were switched to juice brakes but they were real mushy. Not sure if that's an bleeding issue or just the way they are. Also will look into adjusting the steering box if you can. As was commented the steering wheel had tons of play. Unfortunately, I forgot all the books in the car and will have to wait to read up on how to repair. A bit disappointed on the trip ending on what should have been a simple fix. I know we could have made it if we could have fixed the toe in, but was happy with the progress we made and all the great people we met along the way. I took lots of spare tubes and never thought tires would have been an issue. I guess that's the way it works. Will let you know when the car shows up and I get tearing into it. Im sure I will need your help. Also wanted to apologize to those who were willing to help and we never reached out. It was a lot to juggle to keep videos and posting updates and stay at the wheel. We missed some of the contact info and didn't see it until later. It was nice to see that there are an overwhelming amount of good people out there still. It was very encouraging! After this 1100 mile shake down and the ensuing repairs I will gladly take on another adventure and will be much better prepared.
StockyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:23 AM   #124
Tom Wesenberg

Should have rented a U Haul truck and brought the Model A home with yourself.

Mushy juice brakes is usually air in the line, but it could also be a poorly mounted master cylinder that flexes when the pedal is pushed. Either way, I'd go back to stock brakes.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:09 AM   #125
Dick Steinkamp

Thanks for letting us ride along on your adventure!
Old 10-30-2018, 09:08 PM   #126
StockyM

We looked into a U-Haul but I couldn't justify $2700. Would have been different if someone would rent a truck with a hitch but none do.
StockyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:56 PM   #127
Brentwood Bob

What you did is known as experience. If you didn't bleed the hydraulic system that should be done annually. Good to learn you made it back and the car is in route.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:30 PM   #128
wduprez

My grandfather, Charles Duprez was the NY Times Photographer for the 1908 NY to Paris Race. He was assigned to the Thomas Flyer. The photos of the race you see, from Ny to San Francisco were taken by Charles. The 6 teams left New York City in February and traveled west. They dealt with heavy snow, no roads, no maps, no gas stations, mud and more. If they could travel to Paris with those conditions, YOU can make it easily. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
wduprez is offline   Reply With Quote