Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-16-2014, 07:38 AM   #1
mercman from oz

Default 1954 Ford Park Lamps - different?

While having a cleanup today, I came across this pair of NOS Park Lamps for a 1954 Ford. If you look at picture 5857, you can see that they are identical from this side. However, when I turn them upside down, refer to photo 5858 they have completely different mounting tabs. Did Ford change the design sometime during production? The Part Numbers are printed on the respective boxes.
Can both of these Lamps be used on the same car, or will one have to be exchanged so that it fits the 54 Ford?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5860.jpg (116.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5856.jpg (99.8 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5857.jpg (96.1 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5858.jpg (84.0 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5859.jpg (84.1 KB, 25 views)
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
Ole Don

Default Re: 1954 Ford Park Lamps - different?

The lenses are the same, but the housings bolt to the grille so they must be left and right.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
carguy01

I'mpositive they are left and right side
carguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #4
mercman from oz

These Lights are Left & Right, & the Boxes list them as Left & Right, however, they are different.
If you look at the picture 5857, you will see that each light has two Tabs on the inside where they attach to the Grille. However, if you look at picture 5858. you will see that the light on the right has these Tabs, but the one on the left does not?
My question is did Ford alter this part, part way through the model year?
It would appear that one light is early production, & the other late production?
So, they are definitely Right & Left but vary from each other in the Mounting application.
Can anyone help with my question?
Old 06-16-2014, 09:11 PM   #5
mercman from oz

Just to clarify this issue, I have taken two more photos. If you look at the light on the left in both photos, you can see that there are 2 castings where you can attache a bolt into, which are not in the light on the right, which has the mountings on the side. All very confusing? Can anyone shed any light on this issue?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5866.jpg (57.2 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5867.jpg (58.2 KB, 99 views)
Old 06-17-2014, 03:12 AM   #6
JeffB2

Probably these guys: www.1954ford.com
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:25 PM   #7
mercman from oz

I have enlarged these photos of my Mismatched pair of 1954 Ford Parking Lights. If you compare the photos, you will see that they both have a different mounting system. Maybe this Part was updated during production, and I ended up with a mismatched pair? If you look at the top photo, they both look identical in this view, but turn them upside down & the difference becomes apparent. The inside mounts attach in a different way? It is a mystery.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:37 AM   #8
54vicky

I just check 8 pair I have not counting the pair on car.the mounting tabs are all the same on both.one pair of the tabs mount to center grille bar the other pair mount the fender(grille extension)that wrap around the leading edge of fender.from pics it looks as if for some reason the left one in #7 appears that the center grille bar uses a different mounting method.at first glance I thought it was modified by someone.but it does not appear that it would have been done by a person without recasting as it has what looks to have 2 mounting(bolt towers)cast that would attach to center grille bar.I wonder if it was a mod to Aussie built grille it would be interesting to find a center grille bar with that method of attaching.can you find a 1954 Aussie ford body parts manual?I have 2 different one 1 is dated 1954 the other dated 1956 and both show the same as the ones I have.actually I have several of each date.I also have some Canadian manuals I will dig out to check athough I think they will show the same as US.if you can find manuals check for printing date.I know they used some sheet metal for several years after our model changes 54 to 55-56 etc.I wonder if they used that style of grille down there and that possibly they made a production change.it would have with change it would have made it easier to bolt together?I just took another look at pics and noticed the ford-windsor markings on boxes.this will be interesting if any info uncovered

Last edited by 54vicky; 03-30-2015 at 09:56 AM. Reason: addition
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:48 PM   #9
mercman from oz

54vicky, As you correctly stated the original Cartons are stamped Ford Windsor, so they are definitely Canadian/American Origin. Ford Australia never made complicated parts like these, as the cost of making them here would have been out of the question. It is very strange that they have 2 different mounting arrangements. One has to be an updated version. All very strange.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:03 AM   #10
54vicky

I forgot to take my meds today and did not realize you had pics posted under this heading and put a post on canadian ford merc differences people missing this and reading that post will wonder what the h=ll I was saying.so here are pics showing how our(at least the 8 sets I have look as to mounting to grillle center bar)hopefully Alan Freeman as well as others will have some info on the unusual mounting of the left one in Mercmans pics.I do not think canadian parts would be different but most info (parts books etc are american as my vicky is american)this should be interesting in over 40 years gathering parts for my 54 I have never seen this before it looks to neat to be something butchered up as mounting post are cast in them which would mean modify ing originals casting plating etc,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grille 001.jpg (63.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg grille 002.jpg (44.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg grille 003.jpg (65.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 03-31-2015, 11:32 AM   #11
54vicky

I finally found one of my canadian body manual from october 1954 and from assembly pics they show the exact same as american ones I have.the meteor are the same.possibly later production change?
Old 04-07-2015, 08:17 AM   #12
54vicky

bump to top