Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2014, 06:10 AM   #1
oldford2

Default 52 Mercury engine startup

Continuing saga of my engine startup. Below is the last post on my previous thread that found a chafed wire under the distributor plate. That fixed the sudden shutdown but still starts first turn and idles great but past a very fast idle it stumbles and dies. I watched the timing light and it flashes till the engine stops revolving so it has spark as it dies, I took the teapot carb apart yesterday and everything was clean. I expected to find the main jets dirty but they were clean. Now I am shooting in the dark and will change the condenser this morning. Any ideas?
Thanks
John

"Ross F-1,
You got it. Chafed wire under the plate. Fortunately I had a spare. So that solved the sudden shutdown of the ignition. BUT, now when it is revved up it starts to stumble like not enough fuel. Looks like I have to venture into a teardown and check out the main jets. Thanks all of you for your help but don't go away. I am sure I will be back.
John"
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:34 AM   #2
STEVE1103

Default Re: 52 Mercury engine startup

There is a small vaccum port for the distributor, it was on mine, it gives a very little vaccum to work the distributor, mine was clogged, very hard to know this, I finally put a rochester carb on and it sure ran better!
Old 05-20-2014, 08:47 AM   #3
scooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE1103 View Post
There is a small vaccum port for the distributor, it was on mine, it gives a very little vaccum to work the distributor, mine was clogged, very hard to know this, I finally put a rochester carb on and it sure ran better!
If your using the stock loadamatic ignition, you need that carb with the correct vacuum port for it to advance. There is NO mechanical advance in the dizzy.
If you change the carb as you have done to a Rochester. These don't have the correct port. You must fit a different ignition, modify a sbc one to fit, or such.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:26 PM   #4
38 coupe

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The main jets also supply fuel for the idle circuit. Clear mains and the ability to idle doesn't mean that the rest of the fuel/air regulating portions of the carburetor are in good shape. I tried to explain this in this post: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showpo...48&postcount=4
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote