Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-30-2024, 03:03 PM   #1
Tubby

Default Rubber stopper on window channel?

I have a 1939 Tudor Deluxe. I am replacing the rear window. I am about to reinstall the window. Searching the forum I found helpful instructions. One of the threads showed someone installing rubber washers onto the window channel stop: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...w+installation

I have included pictures of the stop on my channel as removed from the car. There is no rubber evident.

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be rubber on this stop? I think you can appreciate that I only want to do this installation once!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Window channel 2 r.jpg (68.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Window channel r.jpg (80.6 KB, 162 views)
Tubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 03:09 PM   #2
Karl Wescott

Default Re: Rubber stopper on window channel?

That is not, repeat NOT a stop. That is the bracket and stud to engage the slide vent action feature of the window. If you have the correct regulator there will be a curved slot which the stud moves into as the window goes up and down. I cannot see how rubber washers would help, only complicate things (with the correct regulator).
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 03:37 PM   #3
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby View Post
I have a 1939 Tudor Deluxe. I am replacing the rear window. I am about to reinstall the window. Searching the forum I found helpful instructions. One of the threads showed someone installing rubber washers onto the window channel stop: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...w+installation

I have included pictures of the stop on my channel as removed from the car. There is no rubber evident.

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be rubber on this stop? I think you can appreciate that I only want to do this installation once!

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 09:38 PM   #4
Tubby

Karl,
I agree your assessment for the front door regulators; but these are for the rear on a Tudor. I don't see any provision for a slide engagement like in the front doors.
Old 05-01-2024, 03:26 PM   #5
Tubby

Anyone have an experience with this installation?
Old 05-02-2024, 07:08 AM   #6
marko39

i believe Karl is correct as i did my 39 tudor rears last year. probaly the most pia job on the car.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 09:06 AM   #7
Seth Swoboda

The rear windows also have a vent feature. Karl is correct.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 01:17 PM   #8
JayChicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby View Post
Anyone have an experience with this installation?
Found this old post on the V8 Club forum in response to someone asking same question. I had posted this after doing my '37 Tudor quarter windows. Your '39 is probably similar but might have some different details:

"This job requires patience. It was probably a simple procedure for the assembly line guys who did it many times a day, but for you and me trying to figure it out for the first time, it's a real PITA!

1. Garnish molding and side wall interior panel removed. Glass channel installed on the glass. Regulator installed, loosely.

2. Crank regulator until the two slide pins are touching each other, and positioned behind the little opening in the side wall. Later you will have to work through this little opening to get the slide pins into glass channel.

3. Drop glass into it's opening, have glass channel rest on top of the regulator's two slide pins.

4. Slide the glass horizontally until the +/- 2" gap in the bottom of the glass channel is over the two slide pins.

5. Slightly crank the regulator and manipulate the glass to get one of the slide pins to go up into the glass channel opening and slide into the channel. This ain't easy! The slide pins have a spring loaded anti-rattle washer that needs to go into the channel. Takes some manipulation and patience.

6. Once one of the slide pins is in, do the same with the other slide pin. Again, ain't easy. If you crank/manipulate a little too much the first slide pin wants to pop out.

7. Crank window to see if rolling OK, but don't let the slide pins get to the opening in the glass channel or they will want to pop out again.

8. The glass channel has a threaded hole near it's opening to receive a short large-head screw that acts as a stop on one slide pin, so it cannot move to the opening and pop out. (when the slide pin hits this screw, it starts pushing the window horizontally for the ventilator feature) But you cannot get on that hole through the side wall opening you have been working through. In order to get that screw in, crank until you can see the hole through another opening in the side wall for that purpose.

9. When window seems to go up-down and fore-aft as it should, tighten down the regulator."
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 04:20 PM   #9
Mrwax11

where are you able to find all these parts?

i have a 67 galaxie 500 convertible.....it is a grind to find stuff
Mrwax11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 11:42 PM   #10
stingywrap

Although they are for the rear of a Tudor, I agree with your judgment of the front door regulators.
stingywrap is offline   Reply With Quote