Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
Vic Piano

Default '39 Zephyr Good News-Bad News...

The bad news is; after 72 years the ’39 Lincoln Zephyr’s transmission is getting tired and starting to complain. The good news is; we have the technology to make her young again and even give her more vitality by installing the Columbia Overdrive rear axle when we rebuild the transmission.
Back to the bad news, in order to perform this operation, first we have to remove the rear and the transmission. This will tie up the lift for some time and I still can’t get to the Columbia because it is on the bottom shelf in the garage behind all the kitchen appliances that are going into the new house which is not ready for their installation yet. To say nothing of how long it will take to rebuild the transmission (we won’t know just what is wrong until we open it up and we can’t do that until we get it out of the car.
This should make for an interesting project. I hope we can get everything fixed and back together in time for the “Barner’s Bash” in March. Vic
Old 12-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
Henry/Kokomo

Default Re: '39 Zephyr Good News-Bad News...

Sounds like a worthy project. Should be great with a rebuilt tranny AND a Columbia. My projects tend to drag on and on - hope yours goes smoothly. Good luck!
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
Vic Piano

Thanks Henry, I've got eleven projects sitting in the garage... I hadn’t planed on moving the Zephyr up in the order but, I want to try and get her ready for a trip up the east coast next October. I've got my work cut out for me because after the transmission & Columbia are done I've got paint, interior and top to get done as well... Hoping to win LOTTO! Vic
Old 12-11-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
Vic Piano

How’s this for luck…
A few years ago a bunch of us Flathead guys helped a friend of ours clean out his shop and move a bunch of Flathead related parts ( from complete cars down to nuts and bolts)as he was closing his business for health related reasons. While going through myriad boxes of parts I came across some Lincoln Zephyr parts and asked if I could buy them. He told me that I could have them for helping with the cleanup. On subsequent occasions I did purchase a bunch of other parts from him, but the parts he gave me included a complete NOS HV-12 plug wire loom, a mint '39 LZ horn button and an NOS rear transmission mount (see photos).

I had almost forgotten about the transmission mount but found it stashed away with other as yet not needed to be put to use Zephyr parts. Now if I could only find an NOS transmission… Do ya hear me Santa???
Old 12-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
2831AV8

Vic,
If you tie up the lift that long half of the local flathead car group will get nothing done on their cars !!!
Happy Holidays,
Hal
2831AV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
Vic Piano

Hal, I know, that's not a good thing... Hoping you'll come over to lend a hand when we decide to get started on the dismantling of the Zephyr. Vic
Old 12-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #7
Dee

Vic, you really lucked out on with that rear mount. The tranny should be no problem as it has all Ford gears and parts in it... the only thing special is the side cover shifter. The Columbia will make a real cruiser out it.
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:10 PM   #8
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Removing rear is necessary, but putting it back in to move car off of lift need not be much of a job. Typically the rear is just rolled back after all is disconnected. Since car is obviously inop with trans out, and the hard parts of the reinstall are the trans hookup and the brakes, just roll it back in there and connect with only the U-bolts to crossmember. Car can be rolled away, time used would be minimal.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:26 AM   #9
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
Removing rear is necessary, but putting it back in to move car off of lift need not be much of a job. Typically the rear is just rolled back after all is disconnected. Since car is obviously inop with trans out, and the hard parts of the reinstall are the trans hookup and the brakes, just roll it back in there and connect with only the U-bolts to crossmember. Car can be rolled away, time used would be minimal.
Bruce, that is the plan we were going to use if we needed the lift for another car. I'd really like to get the transmission fixed and install the Columbia at the same time so; hopefully we won't need to use the lift for anything else while we do the transmission work.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:28 AM   #10
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Vic, you really lucked out on with that rear mount. The tranny should be no problem as it has all Ford gears and parts in it... the only thing special is the side cover shifter. The Columbia will make a real cruiser out it.
Thanks Dee, now that it has to be done, I'm looking forward to it...
Old 12-12-2011, 08:38 AM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

Vic, when you get that transmission out consult with Mac VP and Charlie, NY on parts and procedures to make it as good as new. Also, GM knows a lot about those Columbia's. Where all are you planning to go on your east coast trip? I had a great time touring this year in my '35 fordor. Hoping to do more in 2012!

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:52 AM   #12
Vic Piano

Hi John, I've already talked with Mac and Charlie as well as GM re the Columbia. I wasn't planning on doing the swap so soon but I guess the Zephyr had other plans. We've been planning the east coast trip for a while (I was thinking about driving the '39 Ford CS) as we have friends that live in Maine and Sherrie has never been up through the North East in the Fall. We're planning on taking the auto train from just north of Orlando, Fl. to just south of Washington DC and driving from DC up to Long Island to visit my sister and brother-in-law for a few days. After that we'll drive out east on LI to Orient Point and take the ferry across Long Island Sound to New London, Ct. From there we'll cruise on up to Maine. We'll most likely take the same rout home but first I've got to get either the Zephyr or the Ford ready for the trip.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #13
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2831AV8 View Post
Vic,
If you tie up the lift that long half of the local flathead car group will get nothing done on their cars !!!
Happy Holidays,
Hal
Hal, as soon as I saw your name I remembered that I had an email/pm message from you that I have not responded to. Hope to see you in March at the Barners Bash in Ocala.

Vic, that sounds like the plans for a great trip up and down the East Coast. Maybe you can stop in my place if you plan to drive through Maryland.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 12-12-2011 at 09:47 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #14
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Hal, as soon as I saw your name I remembered that I had an email/pm message from you that I have not responded to. Hope to see you in March at the Barners Bash in Ocala.

Vic, that sounds like the plans for a great trip up and down the East Coast. Maybe you can stop in my place if you plan to drive through Maryland.
John, that sounds like a plan. See you at the "Barner's Bash".