Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-13-2011, 10:50 PM   #61
Bruce Adams

Default Re: Marvelous Mystery Oil? Say What ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip View Post
OK MikeK; you win.

But why do we need MMO? Wouldn't perfect combustion be a combustion that left nothing behind? So for MMO to UNstick things than MMO needs to be left behind after combustion leading to 'things' being gummed up with unburned [whatever I called it. That's not important] stuff?

Oh forgive me...I was just funnin with you.
Better question is why has WD-40 now become inflammable? And would that be WD-41? Being yet another variant of the formula that displaced water on the electrics used on the Army's Red Stone Missile Project in the 50's? And why has Brake Clean now become inflammable as well? Will it work as well?

skid~steer.

----
"INFLAMABLE"???
SInce that is the same thing as "FLAMMABLE" what ARE you speaking about, Skip ?
We were using WD 40 as a propellant in "Potato Guns" maybe thirty years ago, which meant it was "Flammable" then, and I guess even somewhat explosive, and it still is listed as "Flammable."
While I do recall it was safe for shipboard use, that didn't mean it wasn't flammable.

WHEN was in NON FLAMMABLE??
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:08 PM   #62
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Marvelous Mystery Oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdscouple View Post
snake oil
The stuff must work......i've never heard a snake squeek!
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:26 AM   #63
TerryH

After watching posts on MMO for the past few years, it is quite evident that this is about as controversial as engine oil......those that have tried and like it, and those that think it is useless.....don't think any of them are changing no matter what is said either way!
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #64
Terry, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
I had the same experience in our '36 Ford pickup. Started using MMO and the problem went away.

A mechanic told me that today's ethanol gasoline is too 'dry' for the old cars and will eventually cause the valves to stick. The older gasoline formulas lubricated the upper cylinders and valves. Not so today.

Does it actually work? Well, for me it seems to so what the heck, 4oz. per ten gallons and I'm good to go. Half a quart in your motor oil at oil change time is supposed to help too, but I shy away from adding anything to motor oil I guess MMO is OK.
I believe that half a quart is just before the oil change. I believe MMO contains solvents that will clean some of the sludge out of the engine. I used it since my Ford 8N days and in the diesel fuel of my case backhoe. It's a good product. I would not put it into new oil either.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #65
Glenn C.

Some of the guys up here use two cycle outboard motor oil in their gasoline. I still use the Marvel at 4oz to the tank, each time I top up.
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:20 PM   #66
Tom Foster

I had a buddy, a retired gentleman who was a B-17 pilot back in the day, who used to swear he put a quart of ATF in the gas tank of all his cars every so often. I think MMO is the same deal. I know ATF is a great penetrating oil so it couldn't hurt -- too much -- could it? His cars always ran well. He's been gone from us a while now, but I know he had cars with fuel injection and catalytic converters. Probably not OBD-III though, or whatever it's called now. My '03 GMC popped a Check Engine light the first time I had to fillup with 10%, and had to be "recalibrated." Has somebody else tried MMO or ATF in a modern?
Fearless

Last edited by Tom Foster; 02-14-2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: incorrect word
Tom Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #67
A bones

I have used MMO in the crankcase (1qt) of all (eight) new motors since 1970, for the break-in change: no adverse effect. I have run it as a winter additive in dire weather, no prob. Also I have u sed it in the gas tank in both old motors and new.
One particular case was a 351 Windsor in a E250, I bought it with a hundred and eight thousand on it. It would back fire, diesel, etc when turned off. The symptoms left and power on hills improved with about seven fill ups. My first experience was a '49 Dodge I had in 1965 it was a smoker I used MMO in the crankcase, the problem was decreased though not eliminated.
A bones is offline   Reply With Quote