Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
luckyal

Question Maximum dimensions for a Model A Ford battery please ?

Are all group one batteries the same dimension or what is the maximum size I can go to for a 6 volt positive group 1 battery. The battery shop tells me that my TSC Tractor supply battery is crap and trhat is why there is a dead cell after 10 months. They say I should upgrade to a 650 to 700 cold cranking power battery.
What say ye men of wisdom ??
Thanks, Al
luckyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
MikeK

Default Re: Maximum dimensions for a Model A Ford battery please ?

"Group one" is a dimensional category and also defines the relative location of the terminals. The original A battery was slightly larger, no longer available other than as a $$$ specialty battery that will still get some points docked in fine-point judging.

You only need about 250 CCA to make an A spin like crazy. Any standard "group one" will do nicely and you will have to shim the stock battery holder/tray slightly to clamp it. If yours had a single cell poop out after 10 months, thats just bad luck, not the fault of the battery size.

Anyone who says you need to 'upgrade' to a 650-700 CCA battery must have some $ interest in the sale. Most group one 6V's from tractor supply, farm & fleet, etc. go 4-5 years for about $50. Just keep it watered and don't let it go flat during storage.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
Fred
BANNED

Default Re: Maximum dimensions for a Model A Ford battery please ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
"Group one" is a dimensional category and also defines the relative location of the terminals. The original A battery was slightly larger, no longer available other than as a $$$ specialty battery that will still get some points docked in fine-point judging.

You only need about 250 CCA to make an A spin like crazy. Any standard "group one" will do nicely and you will have to shim the stock battery holder/tray slightly to clamp it. If yours had a single cell poop out after 10 months, thats just bad luck, not the fault of the battery size.

Anyone who says you need to 'upgrade' to a 650-700 CCA battery must have some $ interest in the sale. Most group one 6V's from tractor supply, farm & fleet, etc. go 4-5 years for about $50. Just keep it watered and don't let it go flat during storage.
Just bought one from TSC on Friday, $79.99 + Tax..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote