Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #21
Brentwood Bob

Default Re: Another Take on Pick-up Storage

NCFG Meet in Pleasanton, CA, changed a water pump, a clutch trunion, tightened a loose brake light connection, found a broken horn clip on an aftermarket horn, provided an oversized nut as a spacer for a battery box clamp, a missing screw. All from parts we brought. The water pump came out of Alex Janke's coupe's trunk. Yep, you need stuff.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #22
luckyal

Yes I agree you need stuff but you have to draw the line or you end up taking a new transmission, rear axle, extra rim, 4 extra tires etcetera. As some other member has said " don't let the horsefly spoil the picnic " ! You can't be obsessed that your car or every part of it will break down and take every possible extra part ! ENJOY THE RIDE AND LEAVE STRESS AT HOME !
Al
luckyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #23
Brentwood Bob

Some of these parts are taken along because a breakdown was caused by the part now carried.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #24
Tom Wesenberg

The only spare parts I'd add on a long trip would be an extra spare tire because I'm running on some very old tires. A spare coil and condenser and maybe a fan belt can easily fit uner the seat and should get me home from any trip. Spare light bulbs would also be good. I've never had a coil or conderser fail, but if they did, it would be handy to have the spare right there. The only time I lost a fan belt was about 30 years ago when my 49 Chevy 1 1/2 ton truck broke a belt. I can see no reason to carry a spare water pump or carb. I've seen a couple clutch arms break, so that might be about the only other part to worry about.

Many of the parts that break on trips are due to people not having their car ready for the trip before they left home.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #25
barnstuf

The posts above made me reminisce a bit. In the years 1946 thru 1949 I put almost 100,000 miles on my 1930 Model A. My tool kit was a screw driver and a pair of pliers. My spare parts kit was a condenser. I carried the tool kit and the spare part in the drivers door pocket. Once I replaced the condenser and that was it for repairs on the road. The car was maintained with regular oil changes and lubes, minor repairs at home but nothing on the road except the one condenser failure.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #26
BILL WILLIAMSON

Some nice ladies in our club made everyone a dark blue, canvas like, tote bag with Ford stenciled on it. Just hang it on the choke rod & it's like your own GLOVE BOX!! Bill W.