Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
oldford

Default Will rings stay seated if piston removed

I would like to remove a piston and inspect the rings. If rings are OK, can I put the piston back in, even if the rings turn a bit, and the rings will still be seated.
oldford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
HP Hunter

Default Re: Will rings stay seated if piston removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford View Post
I would like to remove a piston and inspect the rings. If rings are OK, can I put the piston back in, even if the rings turn a bit, and the rings will still be seated.
You will be fine.

Harry
HP Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
Henry/Kokomo

You can remove all the pistons provided you put them back in their original cylinders. If all is well, the rings move while in use. Good luck.
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
Coupe35

That's one thing I've always wonder. Do the rings, while the engine is running, rotate or move. If so, why do they tell you to put them on a piston a certain way when originally installing them.
Coupe35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
oldford2

I hope one of the expert engine machining guys (Ol' Ron or Walt D) chimes in here and explains the action that takes place for the rings to "seat". Do the rings/walls wear a bit? Do they move in the pistons? Always a mystery to me. I know if they don't "seat" properly you can get blow by. Thanks
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #6
Clem Clement

Are you supposed to be sure the gaps don't line up? Also ring squeezers are available to compress the rings. In the junk I drive that is not a problem. I'm lucky if the piston comes up the same hole it went down in.
clem

Last edited by Clem Clement; 10-01-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #7
JWL
Member Emeritus

Yes, both the rings and walls wear slighty to accomplish "seating" Yes the rings rotate on the piston. Positioning the end gaps at specified locations is good for only the first few minutes of engine operation.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
ford1

the rings dont walk around the pistons, in fact some pistons have dowls inbeded in then where the ring gap is so they cant walk, the rings wear to the cylinders because they are easier and cheaper to repair, compared to boring the block, i use hasting steel vent rings because they seem to work good in a tappered cylinder, they can expand and contract a lot in a worn cylinder with out breaking
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:50 PM   #9
Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford1 View Post
the rings dont walk around the pistons, in fact some pistons have dowls inbeded in then where the ring gap is so they cant walk, the rings wear to the cylinders because they are easier and cheaper to repair, compared to boring the block, i use hasting steel vent rings because they seem to work good in a tappered cylinder, they can expand and contract a lot in a worn cylinder with out breaking
The rings do rotate in the bores while the engine is running,much has been tested to prove this.Rings that are pinned to stop rotation are referred to as pin mill rings this is very common in 2 cycle engines that have ported cyl walls.This pin is used to prevent ring rotation to keep the ring points from rotating and snagging in the bore at the port in the cly.Your post says they are pinned to prevent rotation and you also say they don't walk.Then why pin them? Snowmobiles are a common application.

R

Last edited by Ronnie; 10-01-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #10
ford1

a lot of the english engines use the pins, basically to make sure the rings are installed with the right ring gap locations, fail safe for hand built engines and for non trained help,
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:11 PM   #11
oldford2

O K
So I guess this thread is settled

Rings move

Rings don't move
Gaps line up
Gaps don't line up

And Clem still has a problem with pistons going down in one cylinder and coming up in another.
Now, how do rings "seat"?
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #12
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
Are you supposed to be sure the gaps don't line up? Also ring squeezers are available to compress the rings. In the junk I drive that is not a problem. I'm lucky if the piston comes up the same hole it went down in.
clem
That last statement was hilarrious Clem. still laughing on that one. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #13
Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
O K
So I guess this thread is settled

Rings move

Rings don't move
Gaps line up
Gaps don't line up

And Clem still has a problem with pistons going down in one cylinder and coming up in another.
Now, how do rings "seat"?

http://www.hastingsmfg.com/ServiceTi...ng_seating.htm
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #14
Walt Dupont--Me.

Cyl are honed to have a cross hatch, the new rings scrub on that cross hatch and lap them self to make a good fit in the cyl. Most of the rings on later engines have a Moly face on the top ring, that is pretty soft stuff, you have to hone the cyl with a fine stone or you'll wear that moly off before the ring get seated. Cast iron rings will seat on about anything. Chrome rings are hard to seat, you have to drive the s-it out of it to make them seat but after they do seat they last longer. Alot of guys make a big deal about lineing up the ring gap. If you just put one ring 180 degrees from the other they will be fine. I have taken more than one engine apart with the rings all lined up, I'm sure thay the were'nt put together that way. I know the 2 cycle rings are pined for a reason. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #15
36tbird

I think the rings rotate clockwise in the northern hemisphere but CCW down under. Any of our "mates" on here confirm that?
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #16
rotorwrench

Most 4 stroke engines have no pins to hold the rings, at least none that I have ever overhauled. We here in the USA don't always choose words that describe what happen visually but we are what we are. The folks in the Uk use a term called "bedding in" and it refers to the whole engine more than just one specific item. We use break in but nobody wants any thing to break in there. It all boils down to how parts that move against each other wear in a manner that provides the best possible fit for those parts.

If I was taking the time to remove a piston, I wouldn't reinstall worn rings. Now if they are near new, why waste a part that hasn't even bedded in completely yet. It's not a lot more effort to ream the ridge & hone out a bore then install some new rings but thats just my own preference. A lot depends on how much wear has taken place in the bore since the last overhaul. If the wear is minimal then a break of the glaze and some new rings will insure a decent compression. There is some method to the madness if your only doing one slug versus all eight. Ya'll can do however it pleases you if your experience is good with it.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:56 AM   #17
48-710

36tbird,
Greetings from down under. I'm not 100% sure which way the rings rotate around the piston (LOL) but I do know that the end gaps line up after some use. In our shop we have noticed this more after an engine has banged it's self to death by detonation. That's if the land between the top and second ring is still in one piece. Subaru, WRX engines for sure, have pins in the oil rings to stop rotation because of the hole in the bore for the piston pin to be removed from the engine.
48-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:56 AM   #18
lee34

Some engines have pins to keep rings from rotating on pistons to prevent ring end gap from being located on the bottom when not running on horizontal bore engines This was to help prevent oil that was in cylinder from getting into combustion chamber. my 2 cents lee34
lee34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:49 AM   #19
Tom Morookian

My 2 cents worth,

If the ridge around the top is not reamed out you may not even get the piston out.

Whatever you do make sure the pistons 1) go back in the same hole and 2) don't rotate them 180 degrees.
Tom Morookian is offline   Reply With Quote