Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2012, 07:29 AM   #21
Don/WI

Default Re: Leakless Water Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aok View Post
Lubriplate 115 is one recommended (at least by the company) water pump grease.
2nd link is mds sheet
http://www.lubriplate.com/PDFs/PDS/3_13-100-Series.aspx

http://www.lubriplate.com/PDFs/MSDS/115.aspx

Thanks for the reply, but the description states "The LUBRIPLATE "100" Series Products are excellent water-resistant lubricants". I want to find a "water soluable" grease and I can't seem to get any info on that although many advocate using suc ha product without giving useful details such as product name and identifying numbers/letters. Can anyone out there help? Thanks. Don/WI
Don/WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #22
SLPreston53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbriggs View Post
While everyone is talking about water pumps here,I have a question-- I just added some packing to my stock water pump and noticed that there is about 1/4 inch (in and out) play in the shaft. Suggestions? Can the water pump be removed with out removing the radiator? (standard 2 blade fan).
Thanks

BAB
There is a boss in the head that is a "stop" for the shaft. What happens is that the shaft/boss gets worn thus creating the movement you mention. An easy and reliable fix is to buy a "collar" that all the suppliers sell. About $10 if memory serves and comes with complete/easy instructions to fix the problem.
SLPreston53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #23
[email protected]

image.jpg

If you don't want to remove the water pump to add the steel collar to fix the shaft in place there is another temporary "Farmer fix". Buy one of those cheap Chinese plastic replacement ends for a garden hose sold at all of the big box stores. They have a two piece plastic collar that captures the garden hose around the hose end that is inserted into the hose. It is fastened together with two screws. For the $1.50 cost it should last you until you are ready to go through the work of removing everything to remove the water pump. You can even use a leather water pump cover so no one will see it.

Last edited by [email protected]; 10-05-2012 at 09:23 AM.
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #24
Tom Wesenberg

Be sure the thrust washer is in place, or this can happen.
It doesn't take much extra end play for the thrust washer to come out of the impellor pockets and start wearing the shaft.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #25
bbriggs

Thanks all for the information, suggestions and 'heads up' as to what can happen. Will probably use the cheap garden hose thingy till order out the 'collar'. I was thinking of turning one on the lathe using delrin-very durable slick plastic.
Burton
bbriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #26
pat in Santa Cruz

Quote:
While everyone is talking about water pumps here,I have a question-- I just added some packing to my stock water pump and noticed that there is about 1/4 inch (in and out) play in the shaft. Suggestions? Can the water pump be removed with out removing the radiator? (standard 2 blade fan).
Thanks

BAB
the water pump can be removed without removing the radiator if the fan is a 2 blade. You will have to unbolt the radiator rods and pull the core forward for clearance. Place some cardboard over the core to prevent poking the core with the fan nut. Place protection over the front of the core to prevent poking it with license plate nuts. The play can be reduced by building up the end of the shaft with brass, or more commonly and easily with a collar that slips over the shaft between the fan hub and the front bearing retainer. The collar is locked by a set screw to adjust the play. .010 is the desired amount
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #27
DaveB

The water pump can also be removed even with a four blade fan ... without removing the radiator !! Just remove the 14 nuts holding the head down and remove them both at the same time !!!
DaveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #28
pat in Santa Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
The water pump can also be removed even with a four blade fan ... without removing the radiator !! Just remove the 14 nuts holding the head down and remove them both at the same time !!!
y'know, you're right about that. LOL
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #29
ericr

this might have been answered hereinabove but it is not clear to me: how does one tell by looking if one has a leakless pump or not, and whether or not it requires lubrication. Some of us bought the pump years ago and can't remember. Some of us can't remember what happened yesterday.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #30
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
this might have been answered hereinabove but it is not clear to me: how does one tell by looking if one has a leakless pump or not, and whether or not it requires lubrication. Some of us bought the pump years ago and can't remember. Some of us can't remember what happened yesterday.
Well, IMO there is not a 'textbook' answer to this because there have been several manufacturers of these. I guess to start with, if it ain't leaking and never has, in all likelihood it is already a leakless.

The front grease fitting is the one that generally needs it the worst, so a light shot of grease won't hurt it. Some seals can be displaced shooting grease into the rear fitting so my suggestion is leave it alone until there is a noise.

Also, sometimes the gland nut packing has been replaced with a seal and you can see it when you unscrew the nut. On some though, it is sealed and should not be disturbed. I guess this is one of those times when let sleeping dogs lie until they start growling, ...then add grease.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #31
Brentwood Bob

Any maintenance you do on the water pump is a good thing. A neglected part of the motor in my limited experience. Starting with lubrication, loosen the fan belt, remove it, give the fan a spin, inspect for travel forward, and back. This should tell you if you to proceed with the work of removing the pump assembly and reworking it. I believe, based on the times I have pulled a waterpump, that you need to pull the radiator first. Yeah, you will find more things to fix, but that comes with owning the car and keeping it maintained. No free lunch.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #32
rusted

I just took my water pump off today because there was 1/4 inch of forward travel of the fan. What I found was that the impeller was not pegged to the shaft and it had moved back . Moved it back into place and drilled and pegged it. Hopefully no more problems. Mine is not a leakless pump but has not leaked a drop in 2 years!
rusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #33
Dick So. Cal.

When I check the oil, I put the drop of oil on the end of the dipstick on the waterpump shaft where it goes into the bushings. I have done this for quite a while and have never had a waterpump problem.

Try it. You'll like it! And it's free.

Dick
Dick So. Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:25 AM   #34
Skeezixx

Quote:
While everyone is talking about water pumps here,I have a question-- Can the water pump be removed with out removing the radiator? (standard 2 blade fan).
Thanks

BAB
Yes.
With the earlier four blade fans though it's a different story.
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote