Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-19-2023, 04:13 PM   #1
37 Coupe

Default 1955 Ford Thunderbird overdrive solenoid install.

So I am installing a new solenoid valve on the Borg Warner overdrive in my '55 Thunderbird and I just want to make sure of something. I know or I think I know the valve is placed with wires down and there is a weep hole on the cover near wires so that tells me I have the right direction .What I want to know before I damage something is the plunger supposed to fit into something or will it resist a little do to spring pressure on it before solenoid flange meets up with trans case? Hope I have made this clear enough.When I put solenoid up to mounting position it is still about 3/4" away from mating but will push in with spring resistance. Thank you all.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:04 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: 1955 Ford Thunderbird overdrive solenoid install.

Here are three links for you.
It seems there may be a 90 degree turn involved for installation, and removal.
https://www.ctci.org/bench-checking-...rive-solenoid/

https://www.ctci.org/gilsgarage/test...n-the-vehicle/

This one is a 19 page Service Manual for the OD transmissions.
http://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/...riveManual.pdf
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 07:23 PM   #3
Late model

You mentioned that the solenoid you are installing is new.
In that case make sure you do the check that is in the links that dmsfrr included in his post. It states that if the punger protrudes more than an inch without power applied it is defective.
That is not always the case. There are three possible retracted solenoid plunger lengths. 1 inch for all standard cars. 1.5 inches for station wagons and convertibles, and 2 inches or longer for some rare applications. Chances are your's is the correct one.
Do you know if this is a T-85 or T-86 transmission? If it's the original trans it should be a T-86.

Don

(busily digging out of 3 to 5 inches of Minnesota snow)
Late model is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 07:48 PM   #4
37 Coupe

It is the original 1955 Ford Thunderbird overdrive trans. I will measure tomorrow but pretty sure the NOS one is the same as the one I removed. I just wish I could find a picture or illustration of what I am attaching the plunger tang to that a 90 degree turn is necessary to install or remove. I also have to replace the little oil seal that plunger enters trans case,I bet that is where all the gear lube ran out over forty years sitting,no seal rubber is left.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:31 PM   #5
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
. . . I also have to replace the little oil seal that plunger enters trans case,I bet that is where all the gear lube ran out over forty years sitting,no seal rubber is left.
To refill use 90W GL-1 mineral gear oil.
https://www.ctci.org/gilsgarage/serv...-transmission/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GL 1 overdrive trans oil c.jpg (32.3 KB, 0 views)
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 08:39 PM   #6
Alaska Jim

There is a procedure to correctly install the solenoid, and it does involve a 90* turn/rotation. it has been awhile since I instlled one, but there are many free on-line copies of the borg-warner overdrive manual, or get a shop service manual which will explain it and also have pictures. Ther may be some one else here , or on the early v8 forum that can explain it better. when it is installed correctly, you will not be able to pull the solenoid back out, it will "hang-up" and only move out about a 1/4 inch and have spring pressure against it. hard to explain, you really need a manual
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 09:15 PM   #7
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Jim View Post
There is a procedure to correctly install the solenoid, and it does involve a 90* turn/rotation. it has been awhile since I instlled one, but there are many free on-line copies of the borg-warner overdrive manual, or get a shop service manual which will explain it and also have pictures. Ther may be some one else here , or on the early v8 forum that can explain it better. when it is installed correctly, you will not be able to pull the solenoid back out, it will "hang-up" and only move out about a 1/4 inch and have spring pressure against it. hard to explain, you really need a manual
Yes ,but you gave me something to try.
Old 01-19-2023, 10:59 PM   #8
miker98038

This is the link to the Borg Warner manual for the overdrive. By the guys that built it. 50 cents, when coffee was a nickel.

IIRC, I used to use a jumper to move it out. Put the end into the slot, turn, remove jumper, pulled it in to bolt up. But many years ago.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 01:06 AM   #9
rjlester

Whenever I reinstall the solenoid I apply power to it so the plunger is "out". Then I push the plunger through the opening (with the unit rotated 90 degrees to the left or CCW), then turn 90 degrees to the right. If the bolt holes are lined up, try pulling the unit out. If it wont pull out, then you inserted it correctly and you can depower the solenoid.

With the plunger out it makes it much easier to install.

Hope this makes sense.
rjlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 09:56 AM   #10
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjlester View Post
Whenever I reinstall the solenoid I apply power to it so the plunger is "out". Then I push the plunger through the opening (with the unit rotated 90 degrees to the left or CCW), then turn 90 degrees to the right. If the bolt holes are lined up, try pulling the unit out. If it wont pull out, then you inserted it correctly and you can depower the solenoid.

With the plunger out it makes it much easier to install.

Hope this makes sense.
Yes thank you will try this.
Old 01-20-2023, 09:58 AM   #11
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post
This is the link to the Borg Warner manual for the overdrive. By the guys that built it. 50 cents, when coffee was a nickel.

IIRC, I used to use a jumper to move it out. Put the end into the slot, turn, remove jumper, pulled it in to bolt up. But many years ago.
I have been trying to access the old willys link you and Dennis posted so I could find the manual and print it off but everytime I try it is blocked as page not avaiable.Thank you for the help.
Old 01-20-2023, 11:13 AM   #12
miker98038

Try Google “Borg Warner overdrive manual”. For me it’s the second one that comes up. Link works for me too, though.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 02:22 PM   #13
Late model

I copied this from a Borg Warner document "Rebuilding an R 10 overdrive" posted by the ClassicTruck.com website. I have a PDF copy in my transmission info file. I tried to post a link of the entire PDF from the Classic Truck website, but it's down for construction. My computer skills are limited and I am not sure how to get the whole PDF to you, so I used a screenshot to send the pics of the solenoid indexed into the pawl.
Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard01.jpg (65.0 KB, 28 views)
Late model is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 04:25 PM   #14
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late model View Post
I copied this from a Borg Warner document "Rebuilding an R 10 overdrive" posted by the ClassicTruck.com website. I have a PDF copy in my transmission info file. I tried to post a link of the entire PDF from the Classic Truck website, but it's down for construction. My computer skills are limited and I am not sure how to get the whole PDF to you, so I used a screenshot to send the pics of the solenoid indexed into the pawl.
Hope this helps.
Yes,this helps tremendously,Thank you very much and thank you all for your help.