Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-14-2022, 11:44 PM   #1
jeepguy1948

Default Pictures of ‘28 RPU Stanchion/Cowl Joint

I need to find out what the stanchions base where they attach to the cowl should look like, I don’t think mine is correct. Some pictures would be appreciated.
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 06:47 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Pictures of ‘28 RPU Stanchion/Cowl Joint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy1948;2181491[COLOR="Red"
]I need to find out what the stanchions base where they attach to the cowl should look like[/COLOR], I don’t think mine is correct. Some pictures would be appreciated.
Does this help??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stanchion Base.jpg (31.0 KB, 109 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 09:40 AM   #3
rotorwrench

The A-pillar cowl posts for open car bodies are pretty much the same for 28/29 and 30/31 respectively with exception to the subcontracted Cabriolet cars. It's not uncommon to find them patched up or missing metal due to cracks or breakage. If the windshield stanchions came loose or the dash rail end brackets were damaged then things would eventually fall apart. Shade tree fixes can be interesting if they don't try to repair them properly.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 11:06 AM   #4
wrndln

There is a thick forged plate with 2 threaded holes behind the heavy sheetmetal of the cowl post to accept the 2 oval headed mounting screws. It was kind of riveted to the heavy sheetmetal. I have one that came loose from the heavy sheetmetal on my 29 phaeton. If you need a picture of it, let me know.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 01:01 PM   #5
jeepguy1948

All this is very helpful, thanks guys. So it appears to me that for whatever reason some previous owner chose to fill in the seams and screw heads I have no idea why. So I now know that they were originally removable however mine are one piece from the bottom where it attached to the cowl up to where the top of the windshield attaches to it (in other words the windshield does not fold down). Any thoughts? Are mine different because it’s a open truck rather tan an open car? What I am trying to do is lower the windshield down about 2” just like the 30-31 Deluxe Roadsters had. Those parts and pieces (as I’m sure you all know) will not fit my ‘28. I would assume that somebody, somewhere is making the pieces I need
Old 11-16-2022, 01:22 PM   #6
Keith True

The 28-29's were not folding like the 30-31's.There were aftermarket ones made,and come up for sale now and then,but they are EXTREMELY pricey.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 01:42 PM   #7
Keith True

How about a picture of what you do have?
Old 11-16-2022, 11:24 PM   #8
jeepguy1948

Sadly Keith, I am severely technology challenged (when it comes to either figuring out some tech stuff or working on the Model A the A wins every time)and do not know how to post pictures on here. If you PM me with a email address or a cell phone number I would love to send you some pictures. Maybe you could post them.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:36 PM   #9
jeepguy1948

I thought I had a vague recollection of having seen something on the HAMB so I went and looked back. Sure enough I found the post, there is a gentleman that sell chrome 28-29 2” chop stanchions ($275 shipped) and speedway motors sells a windshield frame to match (polished chrome $406) I’m not sure if that would be considered pricey or not but that is an amount I could live with. All I need to know now is how to get the existing stanchions off without damaging anything.
Old 11-17-2022, 11:57 AM   #10
rotorwrench

Below the posting window a person has to choose "Go Advanced" to be able to upload photo files from their computer. Once the go advanced window is open, a person will see the options below the posting window. The second option is for attaching files to the post so a person clicks "Manage Attachments". This opens the upload window where you can select the first block for a single file upload and it will redirect to your computer to find the file in your documents. There are further blocks for more photo files as needed. This site has a limit in the size of the file's bit count or MB size. A lot of standard jpg. files will upload as is but a person will receive an oversize warning when clicking to upload if its too big. Photo files can be resized in a number of ways to lower the bit count depending on what programs or apps a person has to work with photo files on their phone or computer. The MB can be lowered and still have the same aspect ratio if done correctly. This is usually the stumbling block for computer challenged folks that don't yet know the ropes.

Every web site owner/operator has to have limits on file sizes or they can run into memory space problems with their server system.

This is a link to a post about repair pieces for the upper cowl post.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...car+cowl+posts

The post is riveted to the bar and the reinforcement bracket. If someone welded the stanchions to the cowl post, you may need a repair piece or two. The rectangular piece that the stanchion bolts thread into also has to be attached to the inside of the cowl post in proper alignment to fit all the stuff back together.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-17-2022 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-17-2022, 03:17 PM   #11
Keith True

The ones I was referring to as pricey are the aftermarket folding ones.I am a complete computer idiot,and it has gotten to be too much work to post pictures here.Any process that takes a paragraph that long to tell how to do it correctly is beyond anything I am going to do.I don't have a phone that does anything like that either.I pick it up,and answer it,just like a landline.No pictures,no internet,and no texting on it.
Old 11-17-2022, 07:24 PM   #12
rotorwrench

I didn't know how to do it either till I started tinkering with the process. It took me a while to get it right. Someone might volunteer to post it if they can get the file.