Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2022, 02:45 PM   #1
Mart

Default bleeding brakes. What worked for me.

Hello. I just had to bleed the brakes on my Sedan. I had a friend helping and tried all the usual old fashioned techniques. We pressed the pedal while the bleed nipple was open, pumped up pressure while then opening the nipple, we even used a vacuum pump to try and draw fluid through.

It was an exercise in futility.

Finally I stopped and took the time to make an adaptor for a pressure reservoir type system. It was a 30 year old Gunson's Eezi Bleed.

It worked first time, moving enough volume of fluid at a steady enough rate to finally flush all the air out.

The pedal was high up and rock solid. (I had adjusted the brakes up tight).

We couldn't believe how well it worked after struggling for so long using all the other tried and tested methods.

I don't have speed bleeders before anyone asks.

Just thought I'd mention what worked for me.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 05:41 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: bleeding brakes. What worked for me.

Mart, I made an adapter for my pressure bleeder perhaps 20, maybe 25 years ago.
SO very nice
With all of the fresh restorations I have done, I found this is the only way to quickly and positively fill all the new lines, cylinders, etc.
No fuss, no muss.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:24 PM   #3
oldford2

Please explain your exercise in futility comment. I always bled my brakes with 2 people. My wife and I. Always worked fine. Then I installed speed bleeders and they work great. I push a hose on the bleeder to a collection bottle and get in and pump away. Again never a problem. I stop often so my cylinder does not empty.
Now I have the dreaded DOT3 so bleed every other year.
So Mart, where are you having a problem?
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:58 PM   #4
VeryTangled

Ezeibleed manufacturer video: https://youtu.be/Lz8t6ZkVSQM Skip the first 30 seconds to miss awful intro.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:12 PM   #5
paul2748

Has any one run across a bleeder cap for a dual bowl/reservoir master cylinder (disc/drum)
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 11:23 PM   #6
cas3

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I am surprised that an expert like Mart was having trouble with such a simple thing. Glad you got it done, and you will use your new tool again, so not a waste of time. I have always been able to bleed brakes by myself. If a bare chassis, I pump up some pressure and hold the pedal down with a bungi cord. If a complete car, I cut the proper size piece of wood to wedge between the edge of the seat and the pedal. Its always worked, never need help.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 01:52 AM   #7
Mart

No time to answer. Getting ready to set off for Pendine. Catch you guys after the weekend.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 06:32 AM   #8
Terry,OH

I have yet to find a steel, screw on, cap for the 1940 style of master cylinder. Typically they are die cast and not suitable for modification for a pressure bleeder. I have seen a flat plate that fits over the master cylinder and is held on with straps around the master cylinder body that can do dual cylinders.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:54 AM   #9
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
Has any one run across a bleeder cap for a dual bowl/reservoir master cylinder (disc/drum)
These are "stock" items for both cast cylinders as well as plastic (reservoir) cylinders.
Ask a guy at Napa over the age of fifty
Old 05-13-2022, 09:15 AM   #10
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
Depending on the master you have, you could use the cap from a dual master remote fill kit.

Or make your own.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/28411857030...MAAOSwRh9e4BXS
Old 05-13-2022, 11:24 AM   #11
done4

Send a message via Yahoo to done4

Safe trip Mart and good luck at Pendine!
Old 05-13-2022, 12:16 PM   #12
solidaxle

I just bought one for my modern car with ABS, that has a soft peddle. It's a Motive Products pressure bleeder. Fairly well built. Trying it out this weekend.
solidaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:32 PM   #13
JayChicago

I have used the little Motive Products unit for years. I like it. Lots of adaptors available for various cars/master cylinders, including our old Fords and dual reservoirs. Go to motiveproducts.com.
The basic unit is not expensive, sold by many vendors. But like so many marketers, they get you when you need to buy a different adaptor. The adaptor may cost as much as the original unit.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:55 PM   #14
drolston

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayChicago View Post
I have used the little Motive Products unit for years. I like it. Lots of adaptors available for various cars/master cylinders, including our old Fords and dual reservoirs. Go to motiveproducts.com.
The basic unit is not expensive, sold by many vendors. But like so many marketers, they get you when you need to buy a different adaptor. The adaptor may cost as much as the original unit.
Is the Motive Products 0102 CLASSIC CAR/BOAT TRAILER POWER BLEEDER with 1 3/16 master cylinder inside threaded opening the right one for the early Ford?
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 01:32 PM   #15
JayChicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolston View Post
Is the Motive Products 0102 CLASSIC CAR/BOAT TRAILER POWER BLEEDER with 1 3/16 master cylinder inside threaded opening the right one for the early Ford?
Yes

Edit: BTW, the Motive Products unit is designed to be filled with brake fluid. I never did that....too messy for a one-time job. And then the unit would get stored with fluid in it. I put the brake fluid in the master reservoir, and just used the unit to provide the air pressure. Of course this then requires checking and refilling the reservoir several times.

Last edited by JayChicago; 05-13-2022 at 02:02 PM.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 01:38 PM   #16
bobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
I am surprised that an expert like Mart was having trouble with such a simple thing. Glad you got it done, and you will use your new tool again, so not a waste of time. I have always been able to bleed brakes by myself. If a bare chassis, I pump up some pressure and hold the pedal down with a bungi cord. If a complete car, I cut the proper size piece of wood to wedge between the edge of the seat and the pedal. Its always worked, never need help.
I'm with cas3.... never a problem. 'Course, I stack the procedure in my favor. Working on the old do-do that I do, I thoroughly go through the system, before attempting to bleed. So, I know in advance that all the lines and hoses are open, secure, and safe, and all cylinders are fresh, and have open orifices, and the master cylinder is fresh. If all is 'right', then bleeding is a non-issue. (For the record, the last four brake systems I've worked on, were all vehicles that spent decades out in a field, exposed to weather. They each needed 'everything' in the brake department. By the time I was ready to bleed, the system was all fresh, and bleeding was quick and easy.)
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 02:05 PM   #17
Terry,OH

I believe the 39-41 Ford master cylinder has 1-1/4" internal thread. The 1102 adapter is listed as 1-3/16 does the 1102 adapter tighten down and not leak or strip threads??

Last edited by Terry,OH; 05-14-2022 at 06:28 AM.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 04:04 PM   #18
1948F-1Pickup

There's a few different techniques I've had to occasionally employ while doing the tried and true two-person bleeding procedure. Rubber mallet use to dislodge bubbles is one of them. The other is how the brake pedal is stroked... having to use a staccato tapping on the pedal...... that's been necessary a couple of times. (My suspicion is that it was latent air hiding out in the system)

Having bled various systems since the 70's, I'm always amazed at using speedbleeders. There's something magical about them. Never a problem.
Don't care for Earl's Solobleed design though. Those are junk.
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote