Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
39topless

Default Running boards: 2 questions

I recently removed the running boards from my 39' DLX, scraped off the old, dried and broken rubber layer and now I need some help.
1. Referring to the attached photos, are these original boards or re-pops? These appear to have been hand fabricated by a highly skilled fabricator. Was this how they produced the originals in 39'? There is not a groove in the top of the board at the locations of the gross braces. I remember the original boards off of my 40' had this groove.
2. Are there recommendations as to the best supplier(s) of the new rubber covers?
Thank you,
Phil

Last edited by 39topless; 01-23-2016 at 12:01 AM.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Running boards: 2 questions

I'm not expert on these parts, but they look like repros to me. I bought a pair for a 38 sedan several years ago that looked very similar.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
nospartsman
BANNED

The runningboards in your photos are Argentina MFG, sold by JC Witney in the 60's and 70's before the availability of US made covers for factory boards. The giveaway is the V shaped stiffeners. These boards looked OK back then, but were too short in the front and rear. I would not cover these aftermarket boards, the covers are made for genuine boards. Your 39 convertible deserves a set of Drakes repro complete boards.
nospartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:20 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Yep, now that I think about it that is where the ones I had came from!
Old 11-02-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
39topless

Talking Re: Running boards: 2 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospartsman View Post
The runningboards in your photos are Argentina MFG, sold by JC Witney in the 60's and 70's before the availability of US made covers for factory boards. The giveaway is the V shaped stiffeners. These boards looked OK back then, but were too short in the front and rear. I would not cover these aftermarket boards, the covers are made for genuine boards. Your 39 convertible deserves a set of Drakes repro complete boards.
Dang-nab it!!! That explains why the old rubber scraped off a lot easier than I had expected. Thanks for the bad news. Now I know what I have.
Anyone interested in a nice set of genuine, South American made, "muy hermoso" 39' Ford running boards? Realmente barato!.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:54 PM   #6
Kube

Paul is right... Argentina. I recall buying a set of these in maybe 1972 or so. They were okay at best.
Drakes boards are okay as well. Much better than the Argentina boards but not as good as Ford OEM. I still prefer having Hunley vulcanize authentic boards for my projects.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #7
TJ

I've used the Drake boards and the quality and fit is excellent. I've also used the boards that were covered by Hunley Acuff which are also excellent. With Acuff you will have to supply nice set of original boards for him to cover. Buying the Drake boards might be cheaper for you.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:03 PM   #8
Fe26

Just wondering for my own interest; are the repro's made from spring steel as the originals were.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:25 AM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

No, they are not.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #10
TJ

Fe26,I don't recall ever reading that running boards were made from spring steel. Where did you find that info? just curious.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #11
Vic Piano

There was a set of the boards made in Argentina on our '39 CS. I sent them to Huntley Acuff and he told me they would not stand up well under his process. He recommended the Drake boards. I had Drake send the boards to Huntley and he covered them. The fit of the Drake boards, with Huntley's rubber on them, is excellent! I would recommend using Drake's boards and having Huntley Acuff finish them.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #12
FL&WVMIKE

I have a set of original, very straight '39 Deluxe or 1940 any model, boards that I want to sell.
Colorado is a long way to send them though.
I'll run my original Fordbarn ad, back to the top.
Thank you,
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:58 PM   #13
Fe26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Fe26,I don't recall ever reading that running boards were made from spring steel. Where did you find that info? just curious.
I tried straightening a set many years ago, I tried a ballpein hammer and it just bounced back, finally got it straight with a sledge hammer. There was so much resistance it had to be spring steel.

When you think about how running boards were used back in the day it made sense to use spring steel. People used to ride along by standing on the running boards, I think they were used a lot more than we would use them now.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:44 PM   #14
TJ

Running boards are tough to straighten, but they may not necessarily be spring steel. The metal is fairly thick on the running boards, so they are not easy to straighten. I was just wanting to know where I could find the information regarding them being spring steel. I've never heard that before from anyone.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:51 AM   #15
Fe26

Now you've got me thinking...My belief was based on my perception of running board toughness/springiness nearly forty years ago. Now I think about it I am open to the idea a steel other than spring was used. My reasons are: (Although I have never done it I'm sure many people have welded/patched running boards.) Spring steel can't be welded. Also spring steel is more susceptible to corrosion than mild steel or medium carbon steel, and there are a lot of surviver running boards.

So, the options are; half hard medium/high carbon steel or manganese steel. Both of which would account for the higher than usual resistance encountered when straightening running boards.

The data on this will exist somewhere, but in which archive...
Old 11-04-2014, 10:01 AM   #16
TJ

Fe26, I have seen running boards that were repaired by welding.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:57 PM   #17
geoford41

I replaced my originals (that had been recovered but were cut for muffler clearance!) for a set of Drakes New boards, easy to install and will not disapoint he may be having a sale soon
geoford41
geoford41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:22 PM   #18
39topless

OK!!!!!!! I went for the Bob Drake's and they are absolutely beautiful! Got in on the "Free Shipping" deal. Now. They are bare steel underneath. Would a coat of "out of the can" brush on bed liner be a wise choice or should I paint them with some good industrial enamel ?
Thanks,
Phil
Old 01-15-2015, 10:05 AM   #19
TJ

Depending on what you want to do, you can buy the "rattle can" bed liner at Walmart and it gives a nice look underneath,
Old 01-15-2015, 11:04 AM   #20
rotorwrench

I would at least prime them before applying bed liner. Most liner products don't do much to arrest future corrosion. A good quality eching primer would work. Some primers are even black to boot.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote