Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-28-2014, 06:39 AM   #1
Big_Guys_baby

Default Profound Thank you to everyone who has helped me get my car on the road

Hey Barners,

I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone (this entire community) for helping me get my 1946 Business Coupe on the road. She is far from finished but a major milestone has been reached and I don't think I could have done it without the help of this community.

My dad bought the car when he was 16 in 1966. He drove it a bit as a teenager and then it sat at my grandfathers house until 1990. I was 11 years old and my dad and I started restoring it. We worked on it off and on over the years, never in a hurry. My dad loved the car and nicknamed her "baby". My grandfather (WWII Vet) had a strong affinity for the car and the flathead V8 as well. His wealth of knowledge about these old cars faded with his Alzheimer's and he passed away last year.

Three years ago my dad was diagnosed with cancer and died. My world was crushed and my grief was hard to even express. Working on the car and getting it driving was the only way I could in a healthy way channel my grief into something positive and still feel close to my dad. I miss him every day, but working on the car...and driving her is an amazing feeling.

I learned a lot about cars growing up, but with my Dad and my Grandpa passing away I lost a connection to a lot of knowledge about these cars. This community has filled that gap and helped me push through a really tough time in my life.

Thanks to you all.

Jeff
Big_Guys_baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:22 AM   #2
jrhaelig

Default Re: Profound Thank you to everyone who has helped me get my car on the road

Hey, Jeff -

So glad that you are able to keep up with the hobby and keep an ongoing connection with your Dad & Grandfather. There are a bunch of us who got involved and stay involved for similar reasons.

That's a great looking car that you can keep on using and improving as far as you want to go - which for me would be driving it all the time as-is.

It is nice to get the help here, too. Lord knows I've gotten plenty!

John
1963 Lincoln Continental
1939 Buick
jrhaelig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:33 AM   #3
motordr

Default Re: Profound Thank you to everyone who has helped me get my car on the road

Good on you Jeff!
motordr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:38 AM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

Jeff, that's such a nice thing to do....coming back to thank everyone here and sharing some of the personal side of the family history involving this car. I hope you have many good times and memories as you drive that nice looking coupe.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
Mart

I had a 46 short door coupe myself, great looking car. I'm glad you found the help you needed. Getting your Dad's old coupe out and running about is probably the best thing you could have done. It's a very positive step and part of the healing.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
Seth Swoboda

Congratulations! Enjoy your coupe and all the memories that it has brought you. Keep visiting the "barn" and update us on your adventures as you move forward. We are glad to have you here. Oh and we like pictures, thanks for posting them.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:37 AM   #7
B-O-B

Now that is what I'm talking about!!! FEEDBACK & letting the guys know how you did!!
Congratulations Jeff & thanks for the feedback & pictures. Wishing you many more miles of smiles & memories.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #8
Bolts

Really great Jeff. Glad you found everything you needed.
My own father passed away from cancer a few years ago. He was an electrician with these big tough hands. One day when I was putting his tools in order, I felt his hands on the big old pocket knife he carried in his tool pouch. I know you can appreciate that car more than people really know.
Good luck and enjoy it.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:16 AM   #9
tubman

Good for you Jeff. It must have been great to have a supportive father and grandfather in this hobby. My own dad was a mechanic when he was young, and changed careers later on and became quite successful. I think this was the reason he always tried to discourage any interest I had in mechanics. Notice I said tried. I have always been envious of those who can have family relationships based on these old cars; they are very lucky.

BTW, the car looks great!
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:59 AM   #10
FL&WVMIKE

JEFF ....................
What a nice story ! I hope that you have a son (or daughter), that you can pass your knowledge and the car onto.
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:41 PM   #11
41panelmark

congratulations.
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #12
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Good on you big guy ,reminds me of my Dad

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #13
37coop

I lost my dad almost 20 years ago ,he was a soldier,boxer and one of eleven kids from north london ,a real tough guy with a massive heart,i sometimes get choked up talking about him even now ,I,v lost my dad but I will never lose the memories and his principles are still with me ,I hope I as a dad lives up to his greatness in my kids eyes ,he was a car man ,he had a 30s S.S jaguar at one time ,I can remember his cars like yesterday,most were worth little then but pricewise well out of my reach now,i wish he could enjoy with me my small collection . A lovely car Jeff,enjoy it for your dad , cheers Jim.
37coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:12 PM   #14
mhsprecher

Congrats, as well. The car looks good. Sometimes there is no other way to get through something than to channel that grief in a positive direction. One hears so many BAD stories these days that it brings joy to hear a wonderful, heart-felt story like yours.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:49 PM   #15
waterboychuck

Every time you drive your car your grandfather and father will be sitting next to you. Keep it forever.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #16
KiWinUS

WOW !!!!!! Way to go !!!
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:20 PM   #17
Steves46

Thank you for sharing that wonderful story about your father. I too lost mine to cancer 7 years ago and since he helped work on my car and rode in it many times, it's like he is always with me whenever I'm cruising. Enjoy your terrific looking coupe and cherish the great memories of your father.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:32 AM   #18
1942deluxe

My Mom passed this past Thursday. My therapy this weekend was to drive my 1948 business coupe and forget about things for a moment. Always loved the "short door coupes". Had several of the club (sedan) coupes thru the years but always wanted a
business coupe. Now in my middle age I have a 1942 Deluxe business coupe (project) and the 1948 (driver).
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #19
akivaus

Hi,
dos anyone know of a good mechanic in brooklyn ny?
I have a 1930 mod A roadster.
Thanks
akivaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:36 PM   #20
Ricardo39

Hey, akivaus, have you ever talked to your wife for a while in a mall and suddenly noticed that she's not there anymore, and the person next to you is staring at you funny?. Well, it seems that happened again. ( just kidding, sorry ). Jeff, great car and great story
Ricardo39 is offline   Reply With Quote