Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #1
Randall Hornback

Smile 1941 Ford Flat Head Oil Filter Canister

Needing help on a 1941 Ford Flat Head V/8 oil folter canister. I have the oil filter canister, it is like new with fitting on it but no hoses. I need to know what size, how long they are, and where do they go on the engine. Would appreciate photos and all the information you can help me with.

A BIG THANK YOU
Randall Hornback
Randall Hornback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
Lawrie

Default Re: 1941 Ford Flat Head Oil Filter Canister

The ones I have seen have steel lines ,not hoses,if you look in the green parts book it may show the layout, but the feed comes from the left rear of the engine where the oil pressure sender is and the return goes into the oilcan down on the left side towards the front.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:24 PM   #3
Randall Hornback

Hi Lawrie, and a big thank you for the information you sent my way. I have spent a lot of time on the internet looking for photos of oil canister, found some but not anything that helps me. What is the green parts book?, i have the Ford & Mercury parts and all the information on cars and trucks but i did not find nothing on the oil canister. I will keep looking, and again thanks for your help.

Randall
Old 06-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #4
Lawrie

If you want some pics of the fitting into the oilcan and some of the old pipework let me know.
I will be away from tomorrow for a week.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:07 PM   #5
oldskool

the steel lines are 1/4 tubing ,I use brake line,also you need a restrictor fitting at the filter housing ,you can make one by soldering up a brass fitting and drilling a .60 thousand hole in it.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #6
MMB

As long as you have the female threaded return on the dipstick boss you can use this as the return port. I must have a fairly early 41 as it came with hoses rather than hard line and the return was through a banjo fitting secured by a hollow bolt in the timing cover. However you plumb the filter don't forget the restrictor fitting at the inlet of the cannister.
MMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:26 PM   #7
flatjack9

The boss on the dipstick fitting wasn't used in 41. The hollow bolt was the return.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:27 PM   #8
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
The boss on the dipstick fitting wasn't used in 41. The hollow bolt was the return.
Correct.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:47 AM   #9
Randall Hornback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
If you want some pics of the fitting into the oilcan and some of the old pipework let me know.
I will be away from tomorrow for a week.
Lawrie

Hi Lawrie, yes i would like all the pics you have, i am still learning about these flat-heads ok.Thanks alot for your help.

Randall
Old 06-04-2014, 08:31 AM   #10
Kube

Early 1941 Fords did in fact have the oil returned to the engine through a flexible hose. that hose ended at the distributor housing in a specail "hollow" bolt.
Late in '41 a fitting was installed in the side of the oil pan. About 6" forward of the oil dip stick tube boss, it was used through 1942 for the return line.
In '46 filters were standard equipment. At that time a redesigned boss had included a threaded hole to accept the return line.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:45 AM   #11
Randall Hornback

Good morning Kube, i have a question for you. I have a early 1941 Ford that i am putting back on the oil filter canister. It has the flexible rubber hose that went to the distributor, where at on the distributor does it go?. And where does the other tubeing go that comes off of the side of canister go?. This one only has the two lines coming off of it, the rubber hose comes from the bottom, and the tubeing fron the side of it.I will appreciate all help, information, and pics. you can share with me. A big thank you.

Randall
Old 06-05-2014, 03:05 PM   #12
Big_Guys_baby

Just to chime in here, why do you need the restrictor fitting? I ended up putting an oil filter back on the '46 after it had been missing from the prior owner. Fabricated brake line with no problems, but I definitely don't have a restrictor fitting on it?

What does it do specifically?
Big_Guys_baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:09 PM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Without the restrictor you will drop the oil pressure. What is your oil pressure running? Also, it greatly decreases the oil flow to the engine, it acts like a short circuit allowing oil coming out of the pump to go through the filter and right back into the oil pan. It is not an inline filter system, it is a bypass filter.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #14
Randall Hornback

Hi JSEERY, in regards to my oil filter on my 41 Ford here is where i am at. i have had the Ford about 10 years, and when i got it it was not running and the oil filter was not hook-up. I have had it running about 10 years as i said with out a filter hook up. The oil pressure gauge shows when cold and running about 50 pounds of pressure, when warm about 25 to 30 pounds. I am just wanted to get the oil filter hooked back up. I just want to hook it back up like it was when Henry built it in 41. All help appreciated.
Randall
Old 06-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #15
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Hornback View Post
Good morning Kube, i have a question for you. I have a early 1941 Ford that i am putting back on the oil filter canister. It has the flexible rubber hose that went to the distributor, where at on the distributor does it go?. And where does the other tubeing go that comes off of the side of canister go?. This one only has the two lines coming off of it, the rubber hose comes from the bottom, and the tubeing fron the side of it.I will appreciate all help, information, and pics. you can share with me. A big thank you.

Randall
Hi Randall,
Do you have the correct line for the return oil? It has what many call a "banjo" fitting on the distributor end. Along with a special "hollow" bolt and a pair of brass washers, a guy would replace the upper bolt on the right side of the distributor. Same bolt that holds the ground strap of the condenser.
That .060" restricted fitting is necessary in the pressure side of the line. Without there WILL be a drop in oil pressure.
I can post a picture of the return line an early '41 requires if you so desire.
The supply line goes between the side of the filter and the threaded hole next to the oil pressure sending unit. In '41 the horizontal hole was to be used.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:04 PM   #16
Randall Hornback

Hi again Kube to answer your question i do not have the correct line for the return oil. I had what was still on the bottom of oil filter canister, but it had been broken off from the canister. The fitting was still on the bottom of canister with part of the hose. There is a fitting on the side of canister where the input comes in but no hose or tubeing. I would appreciate a picture of the return line if you would, and any others pictures you have would help.

Randall
Old 06-05-2014, 09:24 PM   #17
Big_Guys_baby

That probably explains my oil pressure drop when the engine gets warmed up! Thanks guys. Not sure my best method to make/obtain one. The solder technique sounds pretty interesting, need to fine a .060 drill bit.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #18
Big_Guys_baby

Just looked up a .060 drill bit. Thats tiny! I can definitely see how it will affect the oil pressure.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:40 AM   #19
Mart

A 1/16" or 1.5mm drill bit should be easier to find and will do the trick. A lot of drill sets have the sizes above as the smallest size in the set.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:42 AM   #20
Kube

Randall,
You need the items to the right of the photo. The stuff on the left is early 1940.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oilfilter fittings&hosesMK.jpg (42.1 KB, 223 views)