Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-29-2014, 07:40 AM   #1
Fibber Mcgee

Default Willow Run being demolished

Apparently Willow Run is almost gone, the story says they need 1 million by Thursday to save part if the plant. http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268743/con...tguid=UH3OUs8p
Old 05-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
FL&WVMIKE

Default Re: Willow Run being demolished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibber Mcgee View Post
Apparently Willow Run is almost gone, the story says they need 1 million by Thursday to save part if the plant. http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268743/con...tguid=UH3OUs8p
Fibber McGee .............
I heard on the news, this morning, that the Willow Run Plant, is being saved.
It will, eventually, become an aircraft museum.
Great News !
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
bobpo1

I also read about the Willow Run being saved. I would also love to see a bomber set up in there as a reminder to what our young gals at the time did for our troops. Rosie is a Legend. But then so was Tokyo Rose. As a toddler, we used to hear her on the radio talking about certain soldiers as if she knew them well. I also remember being scared to death and hiding under the kitchen table when they did the practice Bomb Raids and the Black-Outs.

Rosie won out after all..........................YEA....!!!
bobpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #4
1963turnerjohn

I live about 25 min from Willow Run and see the Yankee Air Forces B17 flying overhead several times during the spring through fall - the sight of that enormous ship and it's sound of the 4 engines makes you proud!

I donated funds to help preserve a portion of Willow Run to serve as the new museum - for those interested in the history and helping preserve our history, I added the website below
www.savethebomberplant.org

Best
John
1963turnerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:31 PM   #5
Fibber Mcgee

I'm glad to hear they came up with the money to save it. One day I am going to have to get up there.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:17 AM   #6
BILL WZOREK

What would be real neat if they could get some small U.S. Air Plane Manufacturing company to move in and produce there planes and have tours to show THEN & NOW
With how some of the old Manufacturing Ideas are still used along with new Ideas
In both cases there could be a BIG SIGN SAYING ~ AMERICAN MADE & PROUD ~
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:49 AM   #7
39wdy

I'm also delighted that part of Willow Run will be saved in honor of the "Rosies" that pulled off the miracle of saving the world during WWII. My Mom was a "Rosie the Riveter" working second shift at General Electric in Schenectady, N.Y. during her junior and senior years of high school. A group of "girls" from Saratoga Springs H.S. would take a bus the 25 miles to Schenectady every day at the end of classes, work the second shift, complete homework on the bus, sleep a couple of hours, and then begin again the next day. She managed to play sports, played trumpet in the band, attended the dances, and remained close to her high school classmates for the rest of her life. She almost made it to her 70th H.S. reunion passing away just a few weeks before this event. Although she had dementia the last ten years of her life, when my wife and I would take her to her reunions it would not be long before she was right in the swing of things. Her most important book was "The CLASS of 43 Yearbook". She served two years in the SPARS (Women's Division of the Coast Guard), played trumpet in the night clubs of Havana on weekend passes (as she was stationed in Florida), after the war she raised 5 children (mostly on her own), she was a champion swimmer, great softball player, and taught all of her sons how to box. She was the second youngest of 12 kids; all 3 brothers served in WWII, 3 sisters were nurses, one was a teacher, another sister served in the SPARS, and 3 sisters lost their husbands as casualties of war. I'm so glad that something will be saved at Willow Run to honor the sacrifices that these women made. Sorry, I was so long winded, my Mom was my hero and losing her last year was both a blessing and a great loss. Toby
39wdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #8
koates

39wdy, A great story about your Mother, thanks for posting it. My mum and dad both passed away in the last year, mum at 90 and dad at 93 years. They both worked in the war industries here in Melbourne and were married in 1944 only 6 months after they met whilst working. They are my heros too. Long may we remember all those men and women who worked behind the scenes during wartime. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #9
1963turnerjohn

My Grandpa ( who owned and started hopping the 41 -I now have ) jumped into Normandy late evening on June 5 - had a heck of an adventure till the end in Germany. In late 46/47 he completed the hop up work on the 41 he started.

Great men and women that supported the effort.

The neat thing about going to the Yankee AF is that veterans come out and you can hear stories and day thanks.
1963turnerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:54 PM   #10
Bob NH

39wdy, what an incredible story. Your mom was such an accomplished woman. I can't imagine any woman with such strength and fortitude doing so many things. Soooo glad you shared the story with us all. Thank you much
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:49 PM   #11
fordy_nine

What a lady! That just goes to show that they were the better half of the Great Generation.....Bob L
fordy_nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:50 PM   #12
FL&WVMIKE

It is no mystery, as to why, they were called the "Greatest Generation" ! They were kids, at the time, too !
Just think what would have happened, if the kids of today, were called upon, to do something like these men and women did.
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote