Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2015, 10:29 AM   #1
PKS

Default AA Maintenance

Looking at an AA truck. Starts, runs and drives. Not familiar with mechanical brakes but they seem to work. It is a greasy oily mess under the truck. Some under pan and transmission. An 85 year old is going to have leaks. My question is how difficult is the process of discovery sort to speak. Will I be opening a can of worms only leading to a point of no return? The owner purchased only as part of a "package" and does not know its history.
PKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:43 AM   #2
Farrell In Vancouver

Default Re: AA Maintenance

It will all depends on what your plans are for the truck. If it is just going to be a driver the a quick bath and some degreaser should help locate the leaks, and once found each will determine the type of repair. (Simple gasket change- re-shim main bearings etc.) If you want a show truck then knock it down, clean, inspect, repair, paint, and install. These trucks were not exactly oil/lube tight. probably why the running gear survived as it was all covered in oil and grease. Biggest issue is to make her safe and drivable. Good luck!
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:55 AM   #3
1930artdeco

Hi PKS,

Coming from the car side of things here but they are basically the same. Mechanical brakes are relatively easy to work on. That being said, you must have perfectly tight parts on it. there can be NO slop in any of the parts. Remember that is a heavy truck you will be trying to stop. And stopping is a good thing. Plan on spending at least $1500 to rebuild the brakes system-that is new drums, shoes, tracks etc.

As far as the leaks go, Farrell is right in that each leak will require its own fix. Some will be easy others will require a rebuild of a part. All the parts on these cars be rebuilt so throw nothing away. I don't know where you are from but you may want to look up a local club and take someone with you to look at the truck. Depending on the year they may or may not go very fast (relatively speaking). But, they haul anything you put in the bed.

Mike
Old 05-12-2015, 12:33 PM   #4
PKS

No plans to restore the truck. This is for my kids and I. Have to convince my wife and permission to have it in the driveway. No barn or garage to put it in. Not sure what the brakes should feel like but it stops. Going down a hill, you have to ride them well. Investing much $$ at this point is not possible but certainly down the road. I figured these were not built leak tight so I can always put a pan under the truck when not in use. Check fluid levels regularly and when I have a chance, begin to clean underneath. Investigation will come in time and as extra dollars allow, I can begin making various repairs. When the kids get a little older, this would be fun to work on for all of us. Perhaps a full restoration but I am a novice and have a lot to learn.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:39 PM   #5
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKS View Post
No plans to restore the truck. This is for my kids and I. Have to convince my wife and permission to have it in the driveway. No barn or garage to put it in. Not sure what the brakes should feel like but it stops. Going down a hill, you have to ride them well. Investing much $$ at this point is not possible but certainly down the road. I figured these were not built leak tight so I can always put a pan under the truck when not in use. Check fluid levels regularly and when I have a chance, begin to clean underneath. Investigation will come in time and as extra dollars allow, I can begin making various repairs. When the kids get a little older, this would be fun to work on for all of us. Perhaps a full restoration but I am a novice and have a lot to learn.
Why not just shift to a lower gear and let the engine slow you down?

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:54 PM   #6
PKS

Hi Bob;

I am not accustomed to driving these rigs so that is also something I will need to learn. No speedometer so just going by sound. Gear 1 feels like I need to shift immediately. Not sure of the speeds but I am not moving very fast before reaching 4th. Just feels like the truck is working too hard at 2nd and a bit better in 3rd but I still feel like it wants to be in 4th.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:07 PM   #7
Farrell In Vancouver

PKS your experience is just like mine was. You soon realize that first is a bull-low and rarely required unless you dragging your home to a new spot in the yard.LOL
My AA will start out fine in second and will cruze around town in third and fourth.
You vision of a family project is cool. Everyone will soon treat it as a member of the family, and repairs will happen soon as long as they are involved. I think you'll have a blast with it. I know we are with ours. Good luck!
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:19 PM   #8
CarlG

First gear = use only when pulling stumps
Second gear = from stop to up to about 5mph
Third gear = 10-15mph
4th gear = Cruise

Look at it like you should be in 4th gear by the time you get across the intersection from a stop light. Just pretend that first gear doesn't exist.

First gear is, however, great for trolling along in a parade at a fast idle.

For going down a hill, my dad always taught me that if you took (3rd) going up a hill, you took the same gear going down it. That was your braking mechanism.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:27 PM   #9
PKS

Thanks Farrell. I think it would be great fun so long as I can get my wife on board.

Carl: Thank you. It does not have a speedometer so I just shifted by the sound of the engine. I guess I would just have to get used to shifting at much slower speeds. Lots to learn.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:44 PM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKS View Post
Thanks Farrell. I think it would be great fun so long as I can get my wife on board.

Carl: Thank you. It does not have a speedometer so I just shifted by the sound of the engine. I guess I would just have to get used to shifting at much slower speeds. Lots to learn.
That's the easy part. Just put a couch on the flatbed (like the Beverly Hillbillies) then have a step stool handy to climb on board.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:11 PM   #11
PKS

Great idea Tom but I think a ride in the cab first might do the trick. Or sink the ship……...
Old 05-12-2015, 07:23 PM   #12
glenn in camino

Several years ago I bought an unrestored 31AA flat bead. It was a beater, but it ran pretty well. Had it for about 10 years of fun.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:39 PM   #13
SeaSlugs

fyi a cruise speed is about 35-40mph, the brakes sound worn as an AA with good brakes unloaded should lock up the wheels with little effort. you will not find new drums for these so its up to you to find someone selling a good used set if need be - very heavy which = very expensive to ship.

do you at least have a carport or something to store it under? i hope it doesnt rain/snow much by you...

but yes as long as your aware of the slower speeds and you can tolerate that in your area go for it!
Old 05-13-2015, 12:02 AM   #14
jerry of whidbey

good luck and have fun with it I'v owend mine now for about eleven years it was a barn find and over the years turned it into a nice wrecker
jerry of whidbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:11 AM   #15
Juggler

Hey PKS

Lots of good info here

http://aafords.com/

If you do buy it, membership of the AA club and their excellent Club magazine thoroughly recommended.

We've had ours since 1983. Mechanically restored and lined up for a Budd cab and an express bed which need a little work. We ran it with a wooden body to start with, similar to what it would have had when it first went into service with Smythe (Seed) Drills in Peasenhall (UK) back in the day.

One of the first bought, last one we'd ever sell. Great fun.

AA's need saving before they all lose their metalwork to Pickup projects
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:43 AM   #16
PKS

I cannot imagine going 35-40mph in this rig. Perhaps a fine tuned restored AA but I would think that would be pushing the safety of this 85 year old unrestored survivor of sorts. The brakes may need to be done in the near future but seem ok for slow going. No speedometer but my few trials would guess that the truck seems comfortable around 20-25 in 4th gear.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:26 AM   #17
Tom Wesenberg

PKS, I agree that the AA is very comfortable at 20-25 MPH, just as my 1929 Chevy 1 1/2 ton truck is.
We have a guy in our club that keeps up with all the A's driving 45 to 50 on tour. That poor engine has to be about ready to throw a rod at that speed.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:40 AM   #18
PKS

Tom; My kids and I came across a 1929 Chevy 1.5 ton for sale while looking at this AA Ford. Too much money for our budget but in nice shape. Figured parts would be a little easier with the Ford.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:23 AM   #19
30aadoodlebug

Hey PKS,

So I have an 85 year old barn find that I have recently began driving as well with many of the same issues. regarding the brakes: there 85 years old most likely, and they need to be used and lubed up eventually to work some what properly. Every time I take my 30 Tudor out, the brakes get a little better as they have been sitting for 60 years. I just got in there and cleand them up and re-packed the wheel barrings with grease. I also own a 30 AA forestry truck and understand that the brakes on those are a little more complex/ a lot more heavy. I would just drive the truck the way you are and see what happens.

As for getting your wife involved, good luck. My girlfriend still refuses to touch (let alone ride in) any of my A's because they arn't "pretty"

-Jon
30aadoodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote