Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2014, 07:07 AM   #1
HarryK

Default radiator question

Has anyone tried this radiator. Mines seen better days and I can't justify $800 for one from mikes afordable and haven't found a used one locally. I understand it's not an original looking reproduction.
HarryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:17 AM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: radiator question

Harry,
here is a recent thread about a aluminum radiator that may help out your decision. i am not sure if it is the same part / manufacturer you posted.
http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread...light=radiator
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:17 AM   #3
5window

Nice picture. One has to wonder, though, about the differences. The one you have selected is only 25% of the price from Mike's, the E-bay store's located in China and there's no contact number. They've have a largely positive rating, but no real existence behind the electronic face. If you figure out what it might cost to ship this radiator to you (their free shipping being part of the price and thereby reducing their profit) this is really a pretty cheap product.

Maybe it's great. I think, to a large degree, you get what you pay for and Mike's would stand behind the product they sell, if you had any issues. I appreciate the expense, but I suspect you'd get the same results, with fewer hassles, if you just sent the E-bay store a gift $243 and then ordered from Mikes.

I will be interested in what others with experience with "Winner Racing" might say.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:26 AM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

If something is not right who do you call?
Old 10-18-2014, 07:46 AM   #5
HarryK

True but if it's not right you can call ebay if it's within a month. I don't need it for a while so I'll keep looking for a stock or reproduction.

I bought a part for an rc helicopter once...they sent me a letter opener. I got my money back.
HarryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:44 AM   #6
ericr

I would be concerned about issues getting the shell to attach correctly. That seems to be a problem even with quality US-repros or rebuilds of originals.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
I would be concerned about issues getting the shell to attach correctly. That seems to be a problem even with quality US-repros or rebuilds of originals.
Never had a problem with one from Bergs Radiator with original tanks, And did not pay $800.00 either..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
eagle

Sure looks like a nice heavy duty radiator for a very reasonable price. I am not in a position right now to gamble on it but would be interesting to hear if anyone else has bought and used this radiator.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #9
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Never had a problem with one from Bergs Radiator with original tanks, And did not pay $800.00 either..
no denying Bergs gets an A-OK from every post here. But we don't know if he or you have an original radiator shell. I had continual repro shell fit issues until I finally found an original shell.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryK View Post
True but if it's not right you can call ebay if it's within a month. I don't need it for a while so I'll keep looking for a stock or reproduction.

I bought a part for an rc helicopter once...they sent me a letter opener. I got my money back.
I bought some LED instrument panel bulbs advertised as working on my 6 volt positive ground Studebaker. It was a lie, because they only work on negative ground cars. I never got satisfaction from ebay because they wanted me to pay return shipping and tracking. Why should I have to loose money on something that was purposely advertised wrongly.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:59 AM   #11
BILL WILLIAMSON

Aluminum radiators are EVERYWHERE AT THE CAR SHOWS, on ALL kinds of cars! I don't know if they work well, or how expensive they are, but they sure look nice to dress up an engine room.
Bill W.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:16 PM   #12
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
no denying Bergs gets an A-OK from every post here. But we don't know if he or you have an original radiator shell. I had continual repro shell fit issues until I finally found an original shell.
When he does his re-builds he uses an Original Shell on every one for fit tests on a jig.. I would NOT own a reproduction shell !!..
Old 10-18-2014, 12:33 PM   #13
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryK View Post
Has anyone tried this radiator. Mines seen better days and I can't justify $800 for one from mikes afordable and haven't found a used one locally. I understand it's not an original looking reproduction.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121219422072

This would be a item that John LaVoy and the Model a Times could do a product evaluation on. I have sent him an email with a link to this post.

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:50 AM   #14
5window

Quote:
When he does his re-builds he uses an Original Shell on every one for fit tests on a jig.. I would NOT own a reproduction shell !!..
Not everybody can afford to get an original shell. What if someone is fixing up their car a bit at a time, but wants to drive it while that's happening. Would you deny them that pleasure until they eventually had all the correct parts? Forget a radiator until you've got the right sheet metal? Seems kind of mean. And snooty. I'd say run and enjoy what you've got, fix it as you can. Not every A on the road has to be a 100 point car.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:18 AM   #15
Patrick L.

Not sure what you mean by 'seen better days' .

Is a local radiator shop near you ? I realize they are becoming a thing of the past, but, there are some still around.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:16 AM   #16
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post
Not everybody can afford to get an original shell. What if someone is fixing up their car a bit at a time, but wants to drive it while that's happening. Would you deny them that pleasure until they eventually had all the correct parts? Forget a radiator until you've got the right sheet metal? Seems kind of mean. And snooty. I'd say run and enjoy what you've got, fix it as you can. Not every A on the road has to be a 100 point car.
Yup, Buy a correctly done radiator & try to put a Re-pop shell on it, and it does not fit.. Then we blame the radiator man.. In doing any car that way, IT will not be a 100 ?? point car anyway..
Old 10-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #17
5window

Quote:
Yup, Buy a correctly done radiator & try to put a Re-pop shell on it, and it does not fit.. Then we blame the radiator man.. In doing any car that way, IT will not be a 100 ?? point car anyway..
Ah, but you could run a car without a radiator shell, you can't run it without a radiator. So, which would you rather have it you could only afford one thing? Driving your car, or having a car with a perfect shell sitting in the garage because there's no radiator? Is there a better chance a professionally done radiator will fit in a perfectly done orginal shell-sure. But, that does not preclude that an aftermarket radiator won't fit in a repro shell.

Now, would you buy a repro radiator from a reasonable supplier with real contact numbers, or an NOS shell on Ebay if the price was the same?
Old 10-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #18
JohnLaVoy

I have contacted the company and asked to see a sample of the product. I asked them it they will be attending the up coming SEMA show to see if they will have one there for me to look at. But the one thing I noticed was that it appears the bottom of the radiator does not allow for the crank to come through. If you look at the original radiators the lower pipe is well below the bottom of the radiator. If I get a response I will let you know here as well as doing an article on the company.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #19
700rpm

To my eye nothing about that radiator looks like it would fit a 29 Model A.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:39 AM   #20
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post
Ah, but you could run a car without a radiator shell, you can't run it without a radiator. So, which would you rather have it you could only afford one thing? Driving your car, or having a car with a perfect shell sitting in the garage because there's no radiator? Is there a better chance a professionally done radiator will fit in a perfectly done orginal shell-sure. But, that does not preclude that an aftermarket radiator won't fit in a repro shell.

Now, would you buy a repro radiator from a reasonable supplier with real contact numbers, or an NOS shell on Ebay if the price was the same?
Twist it anyway you want !! P.S. Dumb Question !!