Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
Old Henry

Default Ever wish you knew more precisely what your engine temperature is?

I have too many times. So, I decided to install a mechanical temperature gauge on the left side of the engine so it would read that side more precisely and left the dashboard gauge to read the right side as it has always done. Can you find my second gauge in my dashboard?

Here it is:

I didn't want it distracting from the authenticity of my dash board so I put it in the glove box to be able to check it when I want to or just leave the glove box open if it's at a critical temperature and I want to watch it. Otherwise, it's out of site.

Installation was less than 30 minutes. Only hole I needed to cut was in the back of the glove box. Sensor passed through my steering column hole with ease.

And ran right up to the left side sender port. I know, it's distracting from my authentic engine compartment. I'm going to cover the tube with black friction/cloth tape so it won't stand out so much.

Gauge cost $17.95 at AutoZone. I tested it's accuracy in heating water on the stove with its sensor and my wife's candy thermometer in the water. It read about 5-7 degrees higher than the candy thermometer which is good for it being in the left side of the engine that's usually about that much cooler than the right side so that I really do get a pretty accurate reading of the hotter right side.

Just thought someone might like to know.

Last edited by Old Henry; 05-03-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote