Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-31-2014, 04:35 PM   #1
dgkipp

Default Water in exhaust

Upon starting my 35 ford flathead I get blackish water out the exhaust on the floor.this happens every time the engine is started additionally I am loosing coolant. I have checked the compression no problem. The spark plugs all look good no sign of water.
The engine does this even if the engine has not totally cooled down.
I suspect I really don't want to know the answer...
dgkipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
G.M.

Default Re: Water in exhaust

A large bottle of Bars aluminum heavy duty stop leak should cure the start up leak, sometimes it takes 2 bottles. If you see no sign of water in the oil, grayish look after running and higher oil reading on stick with water at the bottom of the stick then the water is coming out the over flow tube when driving. This is typical of a Ford radiator with the over flow tube coming of the top of the radiator tank. You need skips 3 lb valve on the bottom of the over flow tube. [email protected] for info. G.M.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:10 PM   #3
Lawson Cox

Not to worry. It is just condensation accumulating in the exhaust system. If you are blowing white smoke (steam) out the exhaust pipe, you've got a problem.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:25 PM   #4
rotorwrench

Head gaskets can and will leak. It doesn't take much of a leak to barf out a little coolant. Sometimes a re-torque of the head fasteners with stop a small leak. Barsleaks will work many times but too much of the stuff will start to plug the tubes in the radiator. A cylinder that has coolant leaking in will start to show up on the spark plug at some point. You can pull the plugs and turn it through and see if any comes out the spark plug holes.

It there is a crack in the block then it may get worse as time goes by. They open up more when the engine is up to operating temp and especially if it starts to overheat. Any engine overheating will compound the problems.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:59 PM   #5
40cpe

I agree that you should be cautious about the Barrs aluminum stop leak. I had a Griffin radiator leaking at the bottom of the core. I called Griffin and they said they couldn't fix it but try Barrs. I did and it stopped the seeping but I immediately noticed my electric fan running more. I drained it and flushed the radiator, but it never cooled like did originally.

To be fair, the Griffin radiator was 14 years old. I replaced it with another brand aluminum radiator and it is cooling good again.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:14 PM   #6
Tinker

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Déjà vu... I must read the ford barn too much.

http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread...=Water+exhaust

Last edited by Tinker; 08-01-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:21 AM   #7
wga

Its deja vu all over again...
We made too many wrong mistakes...
Yogi Berra
Old 08-01-2014, 07:47 AM   #8
G.M.

To add to rotorwrench if one cylinder is leaking you can sometimes see a brown color in that one spark plug. The only problem with Bars stop leak I have seen was with the pellet type when the whole bottle was dropped down on the tubes and it sits there in a lump. The granular type with aluminum or copper flakes don't clog when properly installed. You are supposed to get the engine warm turn the RPM's up a little so the water circulates and slowly add the Bars. I have stopped the wet black mess from coming out the exhaust many times. A minute or two of a small spitting is normal but a larger longer release in my opinion isn't. G.M.