Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-29-2014, 02:00 PM   #21
Mart

Default Re: Why don't some of the "High Rollers" mfg a good low pressure fuel pump???

Do any of the US manufacturers make anything similar the the SU pump used on jags and MGs etc?

I fitted one to my roadster as a priming pump and it works great. It offers no resistance to drawing fuel through by the mech pump and you know when the fuel has filled the carbs because it stops ticking.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #22
jkeesey

Default Re: Why don't some of the "High Rollers" mfg a good low pressure fuel pump???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Do any of the US manufacturers make anything similar the the SU pump used on jags and MGs etc?

I fitted one to my roadster as a priming pump and it works great. It offers no resistance to drawing fuel through by the mech pump and you know when the fuel has filled the carbs because it stops ticking.

Mart.
After working on quite a few old brit cars I am trying one of the pumps you described next. My car ONLY has an electric pump so a failure is a big deal to me.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:17 PM   #23
Mart

If it's been sitting around for a while you might need to clean the contact points.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:40 PM   #24
jkeesey

Been through that before. So far I haven't found new original style pumps available here.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:01 AM   #25
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
. . . One has to junk up the fuel lines/engine compartment with an add on pressure regulator . . .
The regulator can go in the frame just in front of the electric pump that's as near to the tank as possible and not junk up the engine compartment at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny View Post
The Airtex 6 volt # E8902 is 2.5/4 lbs. Is that tooooooo much for ya .
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwick01 View Post
Do you guys use a regulator along with the Airtrex E8902?
The Airtex pump I got rated at that pressure seemed to generally go to the maximum 4 lbs which is probably OK for starting fill of the carb but too much for any prolonged use which I have to do with vapor lock. (Carb float needle is only rated for 3.5 lbs max.) That's why I added the regulator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I think what I'd really like is a good mechanical one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
I agree, a good quality mechanical would obviate the need for a jumble of extra parts or relegate them to a backup system in parallel...
I don't know of any stock mechanical pump in the stock position that is immune from vapor lock, no matter how good it is. When it's vapor locked it does not pump.

No need for parallel fuel lines with the Airtex that allows the mechanical pump to pull through it when off.

My 2¢
Old 07-31-2014, 07:15 AM   #26
dwick01

Thanks Professor! Makes sense to me. During vapor lock, do you have to run the electric pump for a while after the motor starts? If so, how do you know when to shut it off? Obviously, I'm a novice.
dwick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:20 AM   #27
Old Henry

If the vapor lock is just preventing starting the pump should be able to be turned off as soon as it starts. If you have a regulator it's not so urgent to get it shut off. If not, the engine will start to stumble when the carb bowl overflows and starts flooding the engine or you smell gas flooding into the engine compartment. My vapor lock usually comes while driving and I have to keep the pump on for a while, especially if I'm climbing a mountain. Then it's on all the way up. I have a very small LED indicator light to remind me the pump is on.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:42 PM   #28
dwick01

Thank you. I appreciate the information.
dwick01 is offline   Reply With Quote