Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-25-2014, 04:16 PM   #21
Gary/WA

Default Re: Dilemma

If you have no knocks ask yourself how many quarts of oil can I buy for $3000-4000. Use MMO it does work.

trulyvintage: It's liquid sunshine.
Gary/WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:40 PM   #22
chuck stevens

John, My 47 has a 52 8RT, and it has a ton of miles on it,20K. I never thought of going back to a 59AB. When I was doing the swap I wanted dependability, I went with a Mercury intake manifold so I could use a Rochester 2BBl, also a sbc distributor with petroinics, and a one wire GM alt. I used the new water pumps from speedway, all this stuff makes for a real dependable driver. Have fun, see you in Florida, Chuck S.
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #23
Ol' Ron

It's important to have at least three projects going at once. The first one is the one your working in now. The second is the one you work on when the first one isn't working too well. and a third is there to replace the first and second when you give up on them and start over.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:25 PM   #24
Shu47

If you enjoy the wrenching for the wrenching then do it. But it you don't then drive it.
Shu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:37 PM   #25
wisbangman

I guess my question to you is this....What do you want to do ? I have done a lot of things that made sense to ME. And I have done a lot of things, just because I wanted to. I am in the same decade as you are, and while the wall sometimes seems higher, I know that waiting 5 or 10 years is not the same option it may have been 20 years ago. I will say this though, lately, I have found, that the hardest part of most jobs, is to start them. Once you start them, the end is always in sight.
wisbangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:24 PM   #26
oldford2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbangman View Post
I guess my question to you is this....What do you want to do ? I have done a lot of things that made sense to ME. And I have done a lot of things, just because I wanted to. I am in the same decade as you are, and while the wall sometimes seems higher, I know that waiting 5 or 10 years is not the same option it may have been 20 years ago. I will say this though, lately, I have found, that the hardest part of most jobs, is to start them. Once you start them, the end is always in sight.
Well, I think Wisbangman may have it.

Thanks folks,
All your comments were spot on to my options which were:
* Drive the 59ab until she really needs to be rebuilt
* Put the 8ba rebuilt in and rebuild the 59ab for later
* Pull the 59ab, rebuild it and reinstall it
Factors in my decision:
* 59ab may be OK for another 5-8000 miles but at 2-3000 miles per yr I might be 80 and starting over the hill.
* I enjoy building engines and need a project for the next couple of months
* I really feel that this original engine has taken us on so many memorable trips/miles that she must stay in her birthplace
* A rebuild for tanking, magnaflux, boring, new pistons, bearings, balancing PP/flywheel, misc.(that is where the surprises come in). $2,000-$2,500. I will do all labor and valve work for free.
* I am anxious to teardown the 59ab: original bore as I suspect? bearing wear, valve/lifter condition?
*So, I am going to pull the 59ab and rebuild it in the next month or 2 and in the Spring driving it with the original engine. I really don't expect a great improvement in performance because is a strong runner now.
I will start with the hood removal Friday (Thanksgiving tomorrow) and then not look back.
A foot of snow today so the salt road season has begun and driving is over.
I will post progress along this project.
Thanks for all the input.
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:44 PM   #27
Tinker

My thoughts where due to you driving it down here. Like before. (Met you in st pete and we looked at a 39 truck on the beach a few yrs ago). If it's a winter project then great. only you have the right/wise answer. Look forward to the updates.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:13 PM   #28
Ol' Ron

Before you start, you might consider boring .060 or .125. Added displacement will help torque and early 39/41 heads will increase the CR. Now a 258 ci with 8:1 CR would also increase fuel economy. Just a thought. If you use the same rods a ser of Egge 3 ring pistons (New Metric Rings) no need to balance. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:26 AM   #29
AnthonyG

Quote:
8BA in a 46,just doesn't look right..
You can get the same look on the 8BA for the most part by using the 59ab front of motor config utilizing the crab distributor. Mine is set up that way on my '35 with an 8BA. My 8ba was built that way so not sure if any internal engine stuff is different like the end of the cam and how it receives the crab dist?

If maintaining the correct look isn't that important to you I would put the 8BA in regardless and forget it. 8BA is a fine engine and run great with more ( if both are stock ) power. Assuming when you rebuilt the 8BA you used the oil pan configuration to fit your car?

If you want to rebuild the 59AB to have something to do go for it but I wouldn't do it to put it back in, just have it incase someone at some point wants go completely original. As Bill W said you at the premium value on your vehicle with the fresh 8BA in it and a running ( even though not perfect ) 59AB to go with.

Regardless go for the cigar's, beer and or brandy, if they ain't killed you yet their probably helping, ( My philosophy anyway ) LOL.