Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-25-2014, 07:07 PM   #1
russcc

Default Winterizing the roadster

What do Fordbarners suggest adding to the gas to store the car over the winter. I plan to add what ever is recommended to the gas, run the car for a short period to get it into the fuel system, fog it out with MMO, shut it down, turn the gas off at the tank, and remove the tank. That gas in the tank will go in my car or snowblower, we will start the in the spring with new gas.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:17 PM   #2
Walt Dupont--Me.

Default Re: Winterizing the roadster

Boy, your going to a lot of work if your going to start it up in the spring. I live in Maine where winter comes early. I drive mine in the storage barn the first of Nov. unhook the ground cable on the batt. and lock the door. Start it up in the spring and we're gone for another summer. Been doing that for 35yr's. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
Shoebox

Well, I am sure there are several ways to go here. It is hard to beat draining or running carb(s) dry. Using a "recreational gas" no ethanol, if available locally is good idea, MUCH longer shelf life. Sta-bil and Seafoam are the longtime accepted fuel preservers. I don't believe fogging is needed, however no harm, just have a set of plugs on hand come Spring. Good idea to use a battery tender too. I base these recomendations on being a service manager at a large Honda, Yamaha, Skidoo/Seadoo dealership.

Shoebox
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
B-O-B

I just add MARINE GRADE STA-BIL & MMO run it a bit shut it off disconnect the battery & lock the doors. Six months later hook up the battery & it fires right off. Been doin that for 10 yrs. Never a problem with any of my cars. I run 50/50 antifreeze year round.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:32 PM   #5
rotorwrench

E10 fuel loves water in any form and it attracts it. You can't win with this mix for very long. Once the moisture content get high enough which is a very low part per million figure, then the water alcohol mix goes to the bottom and it is a mix that's hard on everything in its path. Sta-Bil will work for a while but it may also have alcohol in it which can attract even more water. Golden Eagle doesn't tell folks what's in their product so you just have to sniff it to tell.

The only sure fire way to protect your fuel system and engine components is to drain it out and leave it dry or use off road fuel as was previously mentioned. I use avgas in my bikes if they are going to set a while. I drain the lawnmower. In the military, it was mandatory to defuel and run light oil through the fuel systems if a vehicle was going to set longer than 60 days.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:40 PM   #6
paul2748

I have four old cars. I park them in the garage, take the ground cable off the battery and that's it. In over 40 years, I have never added anything to the gas in the tank and the gas I put in in November was the gas I started the car with in April. 10 % ethanol for a lot of those years. I think the Sea Foam and Stabile guys have sold the public a bill of goods. My son used Stabile one year and it fouled up the carb.

I do try to start and throughly warm up the cars once a month during the Nov - April time period. This way no costs in keeping a charger on the batteries. Take them for a drive if possible (that is what heaters are for).
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:25 PM   #7
flatjack9

I'm with Walt and Paul. I do fill the gas tank full and shut it off until the spring. 20 years and never a problem.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:45 PM   #8
barnfind

If ethanol gas was not problematic for fuel systems you wouldn't be able to buy gas at 5.00 a quart at Home Depot.
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:25 PM   #9
Ford Freak

I disconnect the neg. battery cable . That's all I've ever done , and I've never had a problem in over 40 yrs. If your worried about mice getting into your interior , put 4 or 5 mothballs in a ziplock sandwich bag , and put it on the floor . That way , you won't smell the mothballs in the spring .
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:13 AM   #10
Drbrown

My personal approach .... In northern NY State, 2.5 hour drive south of Montreal, we normally get at least two days each month during the winter when it's sunny and the salt and sand on the roads has dried-out and blown away. Out comes the Ford for an hour or so of country-side driving. The car is stored in an unheated shed, I use 10W-30 oil and I keep the tank full. I don't use a battery charger as this routine keeps the battery and engine ready-to-go.

Re gasoline, based on my search of various form discussions, I add the blue-colored Startron enzyme ethanol gas treatment product and MMO on a routine basis.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #11
rotorwrench

I've noticed a lot of folks state no problems for quite a sum of years. Ethanol mix fuel was in it's infancy in the USA around 15 years ago and has evolved a fair amount since that time. What was good 20 or 30 years ago is not as good now. If you park your car in a climate controled garage, you likely wouldn't have much to worry about over a period of 3-months or so but if you leave it in increasingly noncontroled areas then you have more and more to worry about. It doesn't take much temperature differential to get condensation to form. Condensed H2O is your enemy if you have E10 or greater % ethanol mix fuel. If they keep adding more then things are just going to ge worse.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #12
whirnot

I just shut off the gas, run until it quits, cover the car and walk away, usually for about 5 months. E 10 is all you can buy here. Make sure the battery is charged and there is no drain. For 2 stroke engines I use Stabil. Never had an issue.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:28 PM   #13
AKCJ

I'm glad we don't have the ethanol fuel here.

I always fill the tank so as not to leave room for condensation and use sea foam as a stabilizer.

Cars, snow blower, snow machines & more.
AKCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:15 PM   #14
paul2748

What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnfind View Post
If ethanol gas was not problematic for fuel systems you wouldn't be able to buy gas at 5.00 a quart at Home Depot.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote