Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #21
Milt/Las Vegas

Default Re: 1940 ford with a swap from the f/h to a s/b ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanborn View Post
Hopefully this will work.
Sanborn,that's beautiful.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #22
Milt/Las Vegas

Sanborn,do you have the short w/pump,I can't tell in the pic?

Last edited by Milt/Las Vegas; 12-17-2010 at 10:03 AM. Reason: colrrections
Milt/Las Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #23
sanborn

Yes Milt, it is a short pump using aluminum GM type pulleys. Thanks for the comment on the car, it's a "Resto Rod" similar to yours except I used the original beauty rings and Deluxe hub caps.
sanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:18 AM   #24
Django

I have a '70 302 in my '36. Had to cut the firewall, and actually replaced it with a Bitchin Firewall. I wish now we had just modified the stock firewall instead but at the time, that was the best way we knew how. I also run the 289 waterpump. The two '36s we are building now are both Flathead though.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #25
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgis 39 View Post
I have been dreaming about installing a Dura max diesel with an Allison transmission into an old Ford. It may cost too much so I have an 89 Olds engine and transmission that may work. It is a transverse engine but if I am careful I will not have to Cut the fenders and frame up too much.This will give me front wheel drive and I plan to mount the old Ford front axle in the back and have four wheel steering.

I think I will be able to get big bucks for it on E-bay after the project is complete. There are a lot of Fords that have not been molested .After I sell the one with the Oldsmobile engine I will be able to by another unmolested old Ford and go with the Duramax Project. I may be able to install the four wheel drive. It is going to be a lot of work but I think will really have something when I am done.

I really hate the saying put a Ford in a Ford. This trite saying was started by a Ford Engine re-builder and now the street rodders feel they must put a Ford in a Ford to be cool.

A lot of people have told me not to ruin a good old Ford. They say that I should keep the old flathead and go with a better breathing system and maybe an overdrive unit. They are crazy.
Oh really!
I've been dreaming about transverse mounting a Flathead V8 engine in a '80 Honda Civic. I would bring the six individual exhaust ports straight up and out through the hood like little exhaust stacks. Maybe make some wheel adapters to use '35 wires and white wall tires, front and back. Attach flathead V8 emblems everywhere and paint it with black enamel. Sort of make it a a little retro/ratrod Honda. Unfortunately, I woke up and realized my wife made me get rid of that old Honda Civic several years ago. Bummer!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg honda_civic_hatch_blue_1980.jpg (59.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg hondaratrod.jpg (104.3 KB, 41 views)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 12-17-2010 at 12:20 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #26
Milt/Las Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanborn View Post
Yes Milt, it is a short pump using aluminum GM type pulleys. Thanks for the comment on the car, it's a "Resto Rod" similar to yours except I used the original beauty rings and Deluxe hub caps.
Sanborn,you're welcome.What chevy pulleys are you using,and what short w/pump are you using?
Old 12-19-2010, 10:51 AM   #27
Harms Way

Chassis Engineering Inc. out of West Branch Iowa,.. makes a complete set up for this conversion,.... and most of it is bolt in.

http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/

http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/page53.html

http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/page54.html

http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/page62.html

We used this stuff on a couple 40' Fords,.... There stuff is top notch, and very well engineered. Give them a call.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:03 AM   #28
joe plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by George/Maine View Post
If this site realy went to all stock it would be very dull.It would be about wipers,oil,and ,my car won,t start.
I can say one thing people know where to find and answer.
I agree George
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #29
sanborn

Milt, I am using a Milodon "short" , high flow pump. What I did was to fabricate the air conditioner compressor and alternator mounts, then go to our local oval track speed shop and start looking through pulleys. I found a bottom pulley that lined up and then chose the top pulleys to get a good 1 to 1 ratio. The pulleys are aluminum which allows some minor machine work to get perfect alignment. Plus, most oval track shops also carry the "back spacers" in .030", .060" and .090" for both top and bottom pulleys to get the alignment close. Opps, I forgot to add, the harmonic balancer is an inexpensive, aftermarket unit the has both standard Ford AND GM bolt patterns---I sorta cheated on that one.
sanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #30
georgewarren

Al, your purple 40 pickup has a SBF, and the firewall is uncut, right? Still has the beam axle, and you use a shorty filter, right? I had recessed the firewall on my 40 to fit a Y-block with the original tranny, so when I put the 302/C4 with Bronco pan in it, all was well; the wishbones were dropped but uncut.
georgewarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #31
Hamtown Al

George, you're giving away all of our secrets!
BTW, I finally got time (and figured out HOW!) to bolt my 5 spd trans mount to the chassis today. It is bolted tight and I have clearance everywhere, including the starter(no longer rests against steering box) and wishbone which has not been touched nor has the mounting "ball" or its mount. I'm on a beer break right now as I'm pooped from working... not like my pals visiting in Key West in their sandals, shorts, and t shirts... right George?!
Old 12-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #32
Henry Floored

Just a thought here fellas..... If a person used a `40- `41 front crossmember from a pick up truck you will clear the small block Ford oil pump. It is quite a bit deeper than the passenger car version. A "flatter" front spring arch is all that's needed to get the ride height back to normal. I think I have an extra one I could part with if someone were interested.
Henry Floored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:14 AM   #33
georgewarren

If I remember correctly, not all pick up frames had the deeper crossmember; I've had both; CW had it that the 40-41's with a six cly had the deeper one. with my second 40 pickup I had to recess the firewall and jack the front of the Y-block up to clear the cross member, this even with a truck pan, and I still had to notch the front of the pan. Had to mill a carb spacer 10 degrees to level the carb! When I swicthed to the 302/C4 I placed it as far back and low as I could, and it handled sweet!
Old 12-20-2010, 01:18 PM   #34
georgewarren

Some more tips that may or may not help with a SBF in a 40; the bellhousing , flywheel, and converter from a V8 Mustang II is much smaller than any other, and may help with firewall/floor pan clearance. I believe you can buy aftermarket "short" waterpumps and crank pulleys. Also, for general info, the tranny pan on a C4 Mustang II is deeper, with more capacity. The oil pans on 79-90 full size 302 and 351s are similar if not the same as the bronco pans and are a dime a dozen (well, plentiful at least!) Depending on the years, left or right discharge waterpumps are available new, and cheap. Good luck!