Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-06-2010, 11:37 PM   #21
'29wagon

Default Re: Marvelous Mystery Oil?

yea, i put in my '47 willys 134L jeep motor. replacing one quart oil for that, just to try it out. still running. i checked the valves and thought to try it out before replacing them. one day. also put in fuel stabilizer for when leaving it to go outta town.
not running any zink or popular suggestions for additives yet.
i've not tried it in an A motor but satisfied with it in the willys.
'29wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:20 AM   #22
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
old school
I wonder if "old school" isn't better than "new school"? Have you seen what's comming out of "new school" nowdays?

Today I went to the fabric section of a store to buy some beaded trim. I told the worker that I wanted 8 feet. He stood there with a puzzled look and said "8 feet.............how many yards is that"? I said that would be 2 yards and 2 feet. He then proceeded to lay the trim on the yard stick imbeded in the cutting table, and measure off two yards and 2 feet.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:17 AM   #23
skip
Banned

You really don't need MMO as it only turns into unburned hydrocarbon emissions and soon develops into a varnish above the first [compression] ring of each piston. Why carbon up the churn any more than you need to by burning gasoline?

I do wonder if MMO 'seals' in the compression a bit. Like my weed string trimmer two cycle likes 40:1 and my chain saw likes 50;1 and the English made Saegull outboards like 10:1 oil to gas.

Just like a two cycle engine [O/B] not all the oil burns away and the majority comes out as blue smoke and an oil shine on the water on the way out of the engine after lubricating and cooling the churn's innards.

So why do exhaust valve sometimes stick open? Maybe because the are carboned up? From what? Burned oil? Burned oil like MMO? So are we exacerbating the problem by adding stuff that does not burn away nor add any additional hp? Just a thought.

skip.

Last edited by skip; 08-07-2010 at 08:51 AM.
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #24
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip View Post
You really don't need MMO as it only turns into unburned hydrocarbon emissions and soon develops into a varnish above the first [compression] ring of each piston. Why carbon up the churn any more than you need to by burning gasoline?. . . So are we exacerbating the problem by adding stuff that does not burn away nor add any additional hp? Just a thought.

skip.
Skip,
What makes you think MMO is comprised of the same long straight chain hydrocarbons that oxygen link into what is called varnish in an infernal combustion engine? MMO contains a mix of ring structures that are excellent high temperature solvents for engine varnish. That's why it UNsticks things. It also contains esters that are excellent synthetic lubes at high temps. I would agree with you if you were talking about mixing straight oil with the gas.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #25
skip
Banned

OK MikeK; you win.

But why do we need MMO? Wouldn't perfect combustion be a combustion that left nothing behind? So for MMO to UNstick things than MMO needs to be left behind after combustion leading to 'things' being gummed up with unburned [whatever I called it. That's not important] stuff?

And wouldn't MMO, to leave something behind, to lube something, need to be un burned? And isn't unburned anything gunk? And doesn't gunk turn into carbon when heated enough? And doesn't the gunk generally stop at the first ring? And any gunk not removed possibly leading to sticking? Requiring more MMO to UNgunk things?

Oh forgive me...I was just funnin with you.

Better question is why has WD-40 now become inflammable? And would that be WD-41? Being yet another variant of the formula that displaced water on the electrics used on the Army's Red Stone Missile Project in the 50's? And why has Brake Clean now become inflammable as well? Will it work as well?

skid~steer.

Last edited by skip; 08-08-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #26
kp

47 dodge 6 cyl 1 ton truck Dually ,many miles hualin wood or what ever,had " a frame"made of 2 1/2" pipe on it at one time I guess used for water well work at one time,I got it from a guy that lived close to a lake ,the truck was covered with water for a few days after extensive rain and the lake got up ,when I got it I drained the gear boxes ,engine oil ,gasoline tank ect. all contained vast quanities of water,engine was froze up,removed spark plugs filed cyl.with mixture of diesel and marvel mystery oil(bout 50 /50)let it set about 3 days ,removed dust cover from transmission and used a ring gear tool got the crank shaft to move slightly continued to work it back and forth til it made a round ,remover starter and got it freed up ( a little rust on the shaft)put starter back on ,hooked up a fresh battery and spun her over blew lot of the crud out of the cylinders. put gas directly in cylinders and let set,cleaned out carb.replaced fuel pump,cleaned gasoline tank added fresh gas,filled gear boxes with proper oil,cleaned distributor,turned motor over a few times and then installed new sparkplugs she started and ran and I drove it around with out any Brakes.I think that would be a good testimony for the mmo,but I'm just lucky. Just ramblin on here .
kp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:04 PM   #27
Ken/SC

I add 4 oz to 10 gallons also. SEEMS to run quieter.
Ken/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #28
Special Coupe Frank

I would just add that TOO much MMO ( or other oil in the fuel ) will turn to ash & carbon, and gunk and develop undesireable deposits, as well as un-necessary blue smoke.

As for sticking valves in the previously mentioned Gravely tractors ( the ones with the Gravely engines), this was a chronic headache with the per-1958 engines, and had to do with steel valve guides and inadequate lubrication.
In 1958 ( or so) Gravely revised the lubrication system on the engine, and replaced the spring-loaded valve-shields with a cast box with a little cover for adjustment, and oil-passages to the crankcase, and switched to bronze valve guides.
The exhaust valves tended to stick less after this revision.

My experience with the Gravely was that the pre-'58 machines would tend for the exhaust valve to stick open while running at high-speeds, during heavy use, after the machine had been running for a hour or so. Made it tough for me to get my grass-cutting jobs done in a timely fashion when I was in high-school.

With the post-'58 machines the if the e-valve stuck open, it was usually after sitting overnight...

And this was back in the days of leaded-gasoline, by the way... so much for the theory of lead keeping the valves lubricated...

At any rate, I like MMO... "Honestly so..." since, 1907 ?
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:01 AM   #29
Lyle

Hello all. I work on a U.O.P.fluid catalytic cracking Unit. We make what is called a cat gasoline. unleaded with a octane of 93. There are other units that produce higher octane.Other products are blended to bring down the Octane.Such as Naphtha, propane,butane other light or heaver products,depending on the time of the year(hot -cold) Down stream of us is the Gasoline hydro treating unit known as G.H.T unit this removes The sulfur
from the Gasoline.(GOVERNMENT REGULATION) Also makes it dry.Then the alcohol is added. yes a lubricant will help all engines.
Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:14 AM   #30
Brian LI

Quote:
Better question is why has WD-40 now become inflammable? And would that be WD-41? Being yet another variant of the formula that displaced water on the electrics used on the Army's Red Stone Missile Project in the 50's? And why has Brake Clean now become inflammable as well?
I believe the reason WD40 has become inflammable is that they have replace the propane/butane used as a propellant with carbon dioxide. I guessing that the folks at Brake Clean may have made the switch to Propane from a Freon based propellant.

While WD40 isn't flammable it IS combustible.
Brian LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #31
Uncle Bob

Just so nobody gets confused, misreads a label, and gets hurt.....inflammable and flammable mean the same thing....one of those annoying quirks of the english language. http://www.write101.com/W.Tips215.htm I think you guys might mean unflammable?

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 08-08-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #32
Frank Nemo

I agree with most of what I have read here on MMO. I use it in the gas for both my Model A and my '41 flat head V-8 Cadillac. They both seem to thrive on the prescribed dosage in their fill up.

Who has been using it in their oil changes? What have the results been? I have been hesitant to cut back on the amount of oil and replacing it with the MMO.

Any yes or no on adding it to oil?
Frank Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #33
hombres ruin

wouldnt a fuel system cleaner like lucas deep clean which is designed to lubricate and eliminate carbon deposits ,has no kerosine or diesel componants, work just as well?..i dont know what say you?
Old 08-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #34
DGNY

I am a longtime user of MMO; I add it to gas fill ups - around 4 oz to 10 gallons gas.

Have done so ever since it unstuck one or more valves in my '41 Cadillac, which had been little used for years. It was a car in 1981 with 26,500 on it. I used the MMO in its gas and in crankcase.

To answer the question above, I always add 1 Qt MMO to the '41 Cad oil change, to replace 1 Qt of motor oil. Also use 1 Qt in oil change for '69 Cad. Ditto in other cars I have had.

Regards,

Dyson
DGNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #35
just plain bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian LI View Post
I believe the reason WD40 has become inflammable is that they have replace the propane/butane used as a propellant with carbon dioxide. I guessing that the folks at Brake Clean may have made the switch to Propane from a Freon based propellant.

While WD40 isn't flammable it IS combustible.
I believe it has always been so, it has been used for years to check fuel starvation problems on 2 stroke motors.
just plain bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #36
Brian LI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Just so nobody gets confused, misreads a label, and gets hurt.....inflammable and flammable mean the same thing....one of those annoying quirks of the english language. http://www.write101.com/W.Tips215.htm I think you guys might mean unflammable?

Good Point! I always get that stuff confused a bit.
Brian LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #37
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
OK you win.

But why do we need MMO? Wouldn't perfect combustion be a combustion that left nothing behind? So for MMO to UNstick things than MMO needs to be left behind after combustion leading to 'things' being gummed up with unburned [whatever I called it. That's not important] stuff?

And wouldn't MMO, to leave something behind, to lube something, need to be un burned? And isn't unburned anything gunk? And doesn't gunk turn into carbon when heated enough? And doesn't the gunk generally stop at the first ring? And any gunk not removed possibly leading to sticking? Requiring more MMO to UNgunk things?

Oh forgive me...I was just funnin with you.

Better question is why has WD-40 now become inflammable? And would that be WD-41? Being yet another variant of the formula that displaced water on the electrics used on the Army's Red Stone Missile Project in the 50's? And why has Brake Clean now become inflammable as well? Will it work as well?

skid~steer.
Next thing you know, they'll make starting fluid inflammable!!! LOL

BTW, I just asked my brother, an ex truck driver, about the use of "INFLAMMABLE" and "FLAMMABLE". He said some time ago they made the use of "INFLAMMABLE" illegal on gas trucks, because the meaning is too confusing. The gas tankers MUST be labeled "FLAMMABLE".

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 08-08-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:03 PM   #38
Russ/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
OK, some one explain to me how it would lube the exhaust valves?? I'm not trying to be funny or step on someones toes, I've heard this all before and was just wondering how does the unburned oil in the fuel mixture get to the exhaust valves and do them any good?
On a teardown after running MMO, I found the oil does not burn, but leaves a film on all the cylinder components. It does make it through the exhaust path, thus it does lubricate the exhaust valves.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #39
skip
Banned

"I believe the reason WD40 has become inflammable is that they have replace the propane/butane used as a propellant with carbon dioxide."

Cool! Methane gas under tremendous seabed pressure five miles under water was what was pushing out the little bit of oil from that leaky BP well for a few days. Little bit as compared to the volume of water in the Gulf.

"While WD40 isn't flammable it IS combustible."

Yep guys in our model R/C flying club still use copious amounts of WD-40 to clean out all the unburned caster oil used in the 0 to 15% nitro found in our aeroplane fuels. We spritz some in the carb and hook up the glow plug and give her a spin. She will run full tilt on WD-40 and boy, then these engines are really free turning and clean.

skip.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #40
Robert Putnam

One summer a few years back I had a couple of injectors on my Windstar van plug up. The van ran fairly well on the flat but was useless on the hills. All the boys were on vacation at the Ford garage so it was going to be two weeks before they could take it in and install the new injectors. What to do ? Grabbed the MMO and gave The tank a few good glubs. The wife came out and said "OK if I take the van to the store?" "Ok I guess" said I "but she doesn't run too well" The wife was gone for about an hour. When she came back I asked her how the van ran. "Seems good to me" she said, so I took the van myself for a spin and it ran just perfectly. Gotta Love that MMO !!!
Robert Putnam is offline   Reply With Quote