Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-26-2023, 12:17 PM   #1
1930artdeco

Default wind lace

OK, I ordered a headliner for my 57 country sedan. I assume I will need to order and install wind lace at that same time-correct? Anything else I need to order and install at the same time?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 12-27-2023, 03:05 AM   #2
Abe Lugo

Default Re: wind lace

You need to make sure you have the metal holders on the kick panels, as well as the teeth along the doors.
This is the time to make sure your dome like wiring works and your dome light works.
Also time to add insulation or sound deadener to the roof.

Also most windlacing comes without the cardboard. It's better and more secure to add the carboard. You have to find some thin chip board and cut it into about 1-1.25" strips and sew it onto the loose fabric side of the windlacing. This will give some of the teeth something to bite onto.
On one of my other wagons I laced in wire through and made the teeth catch onto that where it could.

I would highly recommend finding a local auto upholster supply and see what they have for windlacing. Other wise be prepared to pay up to 12-15 bucks a yard. All the internet prices are overblown.

I found it very reasonable price at an upholster supplier shop in DTLA.

If you don't have a set already get one of those sets of plastic trim tools. They are useful for installing trim and tucking windlacing.

Btw I don't think you have to remove the windshield to do the front of the headliner. Just be careful when prying metal fingers above the windshield surround . So they don't break.
Abe Lugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 03:07 AM   #3
Abe Lugo

I forgot to mention it's best to install the headliner when it's warmer so that the material can stretch if you are using a vinyl.
Old 12-27-2023, 11:35 AM   #4
1930artdeco

I have one of the metal kick panel holders, so will need to source another-I will have to look when I go home. The teeth are all there so far. I have the dome wiring and new door switches just need to make sure everything is hooked up correctly. I may have to take her to a body shop as there is a dent in the corner of the roof on the pass side. Also, I have the insulation to boot-the original spun glass is coming out!

I called SMS and they are $22 a yard. But at least it would be the correct wind lace. Then I will have to find someone to install everything. Dad and I did my mustang and we vowed never again.
Old 12-27-2023, 11:58 AM   #5
Abe Lugo

Check how many yards you need by running a string along the door frames. Leave a little extra to tuck into the sill plates.
By reasonable I mean about 1.50ft or about 5 bucks a yard but please post a pic of what you get from SMS. What color are you doing?

So the little teeth on the kick panel plates- there are some like those along the windshield.
That where the front of the headliner hooks to on my wagon. Also note the is a bit of a felt or cushion in that same area. It might be just for extra fluff. About 1/8" thick
Old 12-27-2023, 10:47 PM   #6
miker98038

You might message Hitchhiker over on the HAMB. He’s in Edison, not exactly next door to Lynden, but he properly knows everyone between Seattle and Bellingham that does interior work. (Edison is and north of Burlington).
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 02:52 AM   #7
Abe Lugo

Mike. I ended up getting a set of those front lower panel pieces see pic

Let me know. Send PM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6498.jpg (46.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 12-28-2023, 03:43 PM   #8
1930artdeco

Abe Will do.

Mike
Old 12-29-2023, 09:43 AM   #9
totto

I bought my window lace from an "e-bay seller" classicautotrimnv that was "on sale". I have 1957 country squire. I bought "red" to match the original color. Give them a look. Quality lace.
totto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 05:04 PM   #10
GLAmes

This seems to be another piece of my restoration puzzle. Is there a difference in "headliner" wind lace, which I apparently don't need and the wind lace used in the front and rear of the doors? I thought my installation of the door sill scuff plates was the last step.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04913.jpg (83.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-05-2024, 02:11 AM   #11
Abe Lugo

For my hardtop 57. The windlace on the headliner was about 3/8" round almost rubber. Material with a bit of material to tuck into the teeth.
I'm going to make my own version of that for mine headliner with some white vinyl and cording.
On the doors I'm using the stuff you found at the upholstery supply.