Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
35 coupe

Default stock fan vs electric

If you were building a motor a little more than stock and did'nt care about the stock look, what is better> a stock fan, or electric fan mounted on the motor side of radiator. I am talking about a flathead v8.
35 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: stock fan vs electric

This is a hot topic, with opinions galore. I'm a purist myself, and would put up with a lot to maintain originality...But, there is one factor to consider today that previously wasn't of much concern: The quality of fuel today is such that we all suffer, due directly to under hood temperature.

A modern car has temperature controlled fan(s) operated by a 12 volt system with an alternator. Nothing less than this combination is worth bothering with if you're bent on having a fan.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
flathead4rd

Electric fan mounted on the motor side of the radiator. Pullers are better than pushers. Get one with a thermostat controll.
flathead4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
Old Henry

Electric fan takes a lot of juice. Would need an alternator. Generator wouldn't do.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
MuskegonFlatheadFan

I have both, and the electric does a better job in stop and go traffic. I use a 12v system with a gererator. i do hope we are done with the 100+ temps.
MuskegonFlatheadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:49 AM   #6
41LjH

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I am using a SPAL puller on my 8BA. If you want a fan controller put it in the top of one of the heads and match it to your thermostat or simply toggle it with a switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwwB34vxJE
41LjH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:08 AM   #7
JWL
Member Emeritus

Well, as with most questions there is no simple answer until the variables are pinned down. The real answer is that it depends on which stock fan you have and which electric fan you plan to use. There are big differences in both.

Generally the electric is best for low speed cooling.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #8
31chevy

I also use a SPAL 16 in curved blade puller on my 48 DeSoto with the unmentionable SBC engine. I also use the PWM controller which modulates the fan speed & is programmable, I highly reccomend this control as these fans are quite noisey & will help maintain temperature very well. I am very pleased with it. As some one said you will probably need an alternator as they draw a lot of current.( Electric fan only way to go if originality is not desired, just my 2 cents)
Gary.
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:28 AM   #9
Deuce Man

I have a 6 volt electric fan in my 32, runs off a toggle switch, only use it when I need it. Generator more than keeps up with it. Just cant run the fan and halogen headlights at the same time for any extended length of time. Hope this helps Rich
Deuce Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #10
Bruno

On my '52 F1 I have an electric "puller" fan mounted behind radiator - 6 volt - on a toggle switch - find I only need to use in when sitting for a period of time just idling. (I do have an alternator.)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #11
35 coupe

Thanks, for all the input. I am putting a motor in my 50 f1 that was built by WALT DUPONT and wanted to see what was preferred. Thanks Everybody.
35 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #12
FL&WVMIKE

35 coupe ...................
Doing away with the stock fan will mean less noise and a few more horse-power. You, surely, do not need a fan on the road. You only need one in slow traffic.
I run a stock fan, but would be better of with an electric one, on a toggle switch.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #13
frenchy dehoux

Here are a few pictures of my set up on my V12 1932 Ford Roadster. I am using the electric fan with a manual switch. I can drive the car here in Phoenix for about 30 minutes without using the fan. With the fan on the temperature is up to 160 and the cooling is not an issue you can also see where at the bottom of the fan shroud we have some flappers to let the hot air escape. I will be doing the same set up on my Track T Roadster with the V8 Ford Flathead.

Thanks
Frenchy

Last edited by frenchy dehoux; 07-10-2012 at 11:34 AM.
frenchy dehoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #14
'36 5W

Nice aluminum work on that rad and shroud, Frenchy. Very neat installation....
'36 5W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #15
frenchy dehoux

Quote:
Originally Posted by '36 5W View Post
Nice aluminum work on that rad and shroud, Frenchy. Very neat installation....
Thank You for the comment. The only picture I have showing after it was completed.

Frenchy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1932 Hot Rod Lincoln 013.jpg (152.2 KB, 55 views)
Old 07-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #16
BUBBAS IGNITION

What a discussion with approx 50% pro and con for the electric vans.
My thinking is if the oem made a car that didnt overheat and drive down the road ( and i got to believe that they did) without overheating etc then we should be able to operate without the addition of a electric fan.
Now when modifications are made then all bets are off??? Cams , carbs new radiators etc then the factory engineered fan may no longer work as well...
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #17
Shadetree

I have both an electric fan and the original Ford fan. I am running a stock 6 Volt generator and see no charging issues. Even on hot 95° days as long as the car is moving it runs in the high Normal range. I only use the electric fan on hot days sitting in traffic or stopped for other reasons. It works great. When I shut the engine down it is unbelievable the amount of heat the fan shoves from under the hood. I let the fan run while the engine is shut down and when I get back in the car after a few minutes the temp gauge drops to half scale after I restart the engine. I am pleased with the set up.

My biggest complaint right now is that I get a lot of heat in the cockpit on hot days. I am going to work on that as a winter project with some insulation under the floor mat.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #18
Brad

If you don't care about looks go with the electric
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #19
frenchy dehoux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree View Post
I have both an electric fan and the original Ford fan. I am running a stock 6 Volt generator and see no charging issues. Even on hot 95° days as long as the car is moving it runs in the high Normal range. I only use the electric fan on hot days sitting in traffic or stopped for other reasons. It works great. When I shut the engine down it is unbelievable the amount of heat the fan shoves from under the hood. I let the fan run while the engine is shut down and when I get back in the car after a few minutes the temp gauge drops to half scale after I restart the engine. I am pleased with the set up.

My biggest complaint right now is that I get a lot of heat in the cockpit on hot days. I am going to work on that as a winter project with some insulation under the floor mat.
On an open car it is not an issue more if the engine is enclosed ( fenders & hood ).

Frenchy
Old 07-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #20
37 Coupe

I know this is probably rare but an electric fan on a flathead or any engine can fail,then what? I have run electric fans before on a flathead but always as a backup with the mechanical in place. I know this is not always easy to do and the setup was on a 53 F-100 where there was plenty of room for both. Last month a friend of mine was driving his 36 cabriolet to a local car show,he had to drive about 15 miles. He has a 59AB in it ,12 volt because he wanted electronic distributor and a GM alternator,he has only the electric fan. I don't know if his alternator failed or the fan itself but engine was still running when he pulled in and he cooked her good.