Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2011, 06:38 AM   #1
DONUT

Default E - z steer

Does anyone have experience with E - Z Steer brand steering boxes?..........tp
DONUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: E - z steer

Do a search, has been covered before here. I have had no experience with them, but sounds good altho pricey in my opinion.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
Roger V

Our region bought seven E-Z Steers (club discount buy). One just got installed. We're installing one tomorrow as a seminar. This doesn't tell you a thing and with eight or ten inches of snow and who knows when they will be tried out/used. One of our members previously used the modified F-1 and many who tried it were very impressed. Relative to the cost, it's not cheap but how much does anything relatively complicated cost to tool for basically low volume? It's totally new and what caused me to buy two of them is the one piece shaft whereas the modified units have the shaft welded (F-1 to Model A) so your life is possibly affected by the integrity of that weld. The other thing is you are always steering compared to braking, etc. Some think nothing of spending money on stone guards, motometers, step plates, other glitz, etc. which can accumulate to near the E-Z Steer price but not make an A better/easier to drive. Like everybody else, just my 2 cents.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
kenparker

I just installed an E-Z unit in my 31Slant. I get very smooth steering with 0 play in the steering wheel. Almost like power steering. I can negotiate corners in town with one hand. It did take some getting used to the extra revolution of turn in the steering wheel. It is 4 revolutions from lock to lock - if I remember the poop sheet correctly it is a 17 to 1 ratio.

As to the "pricy". Yes it did cost over $800, but the casting and all internal parts are MADE IN USA. Compared to the converted F100 box it is only about $200 more, is all made in USA. The people at E-Z Steer were very pleasant and knowlegable to work with. I give the people and the unit a grade A plus.

I could not be happier.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
willobs

No experence with EZ Steer, What about the Vega boxes on E-Bay any one try them. They seem much cheaper
willobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
CarlG

I don't think that the Vega boxes allow for the original light switch to be used.

I have an EZ Steer in my 31PU. Haven't had it on the road since I installed it (waiting for winter to clear up as well as some other engine work in progress). As to the cost, I considered the F100, as well as rebuilt original units. John (at EZ) sold me on the US made, the one piece shaft, etc. As has already been mentioned, the cost difference wasn't all that much, and it looks pretty close to original when installed. According to John, there are over 1,000 of these units out there in Model A Land installed and running.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
MikeK

My big concern with the E-Z box is the lack of adjustment. I looked at one at French Lick and was told "If there's slack, send it back... opening it will void any warranty." There is no adjustment without disassembly and shimming changes, so taking up any box slack after a few thousand miles of the gears and bearings polishing themselves in is not possible like it is with my Gemmer boxes. That being the case, I'd put the money in a proper Gemmer box rebuild and nice new round, polished steering balls riding on the available teflon ball seats. Add a new shorter pitman arm if you must.

To me, opening the hood and seeing "E-Z Steer" is just another step away from originality, like alternators, odd fans, 16" wheels, etc. If you don't mind (or care) the E-Z Steer may be for you.

I do not see or follow the "Like Power Steering" analogy. The advantage of true power steering is less effort with a QUICKER ratio, not a vastly increased ratio that makes the car drive like a bus, requiring large angular movements of the wheel to accomplish the same minor steering corrections. Both E-Z and short pitman arms make the steering less responsive and more sluggish while cruising, even if you have virtually zero free play.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
My big concern with the E-Z box is the lack of adjustment. I looked at one at French Lick and was told "If there's slack, send it back... opening it will void any warranty." There is no adjustment without disassembly and shimming changes, so taking up any box slack after a few thousand miles of the gears and bearings polishing themselves in is not possible like it is with my Gemmer boxes. That being the case, I'd put the money in a proper Gemmer box rebuild and nice new round, polished steering balls riding on the available teflon ball seats. Add a new shorter pitman arm if you must.

To me, opening the hood and seeing "E-Z Steer" is just another step away from originality, like alternators, odd fans, 16" wheels, etc. If you don't mind (or care) the E-Z Steer may be for you.

I do not see or follow the "Like Power Steering" analogy. The advantage of true power steering is less effort with a QUICKER ratio, not a vastly increased ratio that makes the car drive like a bus, requiring large angular movements of the wheel to accomplish the same minor steering corrections. Both E-Z and short pitman arms make the steering less responsive and more sluggish while cruising, even if you have virtually zero free play.

I agree 100%.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:25 PM   #9
Grapejuice

I plan to use an EZ Steer on my Cabriolet, so I'm also interested to read the reviews.

1930 Cabriolet (the newest project)
1929 Special Coupe (pieces n parts)
1928 Sport Coupe (the driver)
Grapejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
31Tudor

I appologize up front for this............sometimes all the things we do to Model A's really cracks me up. I really want a Model A to drive but I am planning to pressurize the radiator, alternator, 12 volt, electronic ignition, EZ steer, full gauges, tube shocks, hydraulic brakes, overdrive..... and the list goes on. I just don't get it or really understand.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #11
Dennis L Oberer

As for the teflon ball seats...I tried them and took them out and went back to original.

Yes I know that teflon was not available in the "day".

However after only a few hundred miles the teflon ball seats had "cold deformed" and were no longer working correctly.

The originals with proper greasing will surely outlast me...

Dennis L Oberer
Green Bay WI

YES....THAT GREEN BAY....SEASON TICKET HOLDER AND STOCKHOLDER.....
Dennis L Oberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #12
Grapejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31Tudor View Post
I appologize up front for this............sometimes all the things we do to Model A's really cracks me up. I really want a Model A to drive but I am planning to pressurize the radiator, alternator, 12 volt, electronic ignition, EZ steer, full gauges, tube shocks, hydraulic brakes, overdrive..... and the list goes on. I just don't get it or really understand.
If you're a purist, more power to you. If you like to make upgrades wherever possible (assuming they are upgrades), then more power to you as well.
As they say so often: "it's your A, do with it as you please".

1930 Cabriolet (the newest project)
1929 Special Coupe (pieces n parts)
1928 Sport Coupe (the driver)
Grapejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:19 PM   #13
zzlegend

Well said Grapejuice.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:44 PM   #14
CarlG

The first Model As I had were over 50 years ago. As a teenager, and the cars were only 20-25 years old (much like a couple of cars in my driveway right now) I had no problem with them being "stock". However, now that I'm almost 70, my PU is 80, we are both worn out, and need a little help wherever we can get it. If EZ steer and a v8 pressure plate, turn signals, etc. etc. will give me that and at the same time give me the thril of once again driving a Model A, then why not. Not much different than the Celebrex I take so that I can keep walking!
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:37 PM   #15
Ice man

I did an EZ Steer on a 31 Roadster for a customer while I was in Florida. Your gona love it. Iceman
Ice man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #16
rdscouple

I've rebuilt my 31 stock front end and Gemmer steering box. I also put one of Bratton's one piece pitman arms in my current restoration. I haven't driven it yet but I think it will steer just fine. Probably better than my other restored Model As.
rdscouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #17
hardtimes

CarlG,
Well said and well understood!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote