Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-10-2023, 07:23 AM   #1
Edmather

Default Woodie roof material - any leads?

Hi All,
I went to do the roof on my '41 woodie this morning using a LeBaron top kit that has been sitting in my garage since 2015 (I know, such a long time!).
I was extremely disappointed to find that the piece of vinyl is cut too short. Width is fine (66") but the length is about 3" too short.
I know that LB are out of business now, and have done a search about sources for fabric, but can't find much chatter about that recently, but note general despair and unavailability a few years ago.
My question is: has anything changed? Is there anywhere out there that can now supply the 66" width top material?
Thank you,
Ed
Edmather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 09:47 AM   #2
GB SISSON

Default Re: Woodie roof material - any leads?

This may not be of any interest to you as it does not have the textured look of the original material. I built a woodie from a '47 truck which turned out to be wider and longer than the available material. Since I just wanted to complete my project and have some fun with it I purchased a sheet of epdm rubber 'pond liner' on amazon. This was made by firestone and is guaranteed 50 years in the sun. Cost was 85.00 compared to 600.00 from a woodie supply business (and theirs was too small). With six helpers on a hot day it conformed extremely well and remains so. It is a dull black and about 3/32" thick.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 09-10-2023 at 09:55 AM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 10:26 AM   #3
Willit Stop

You might want to check these guys out. I haven't used them. So good or bad...I don't know.
https://newstalgiaparts.com/
Willit Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 11:19 AM   #4
Bob C

Is it possible it has shrunk? Maybe put it in the sun and see if you can stretch it.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 12:22 PM   #5
Edmather

Thanks, I'll check out the pond liner! I'm thinking about boat tonneau cover material too!
And thank you for the link, I'll see about that too.
Ed
Old 09-10-2023, 12:24 PM   #6
Edmather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Is it possible it has shrunk? Maybe put it in the sun and see if you can stretch it.
It's several inches too short, so I don't think its stretchable sadly.
Old 09-10-2023, 03:41 PM   #7
GB SISSON

I could get a close up if you would like. The gutters are satin black anodized aluminum from an RV supply place. I remember they were 36.00, not sure if that was apiece or the pair. I won't be taking this thing to Pebble Beach but it looks respectable in it's own homespun way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woodie rubber roof day 020.jpg (63.0 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg wagon at majestic.jpg (117.7 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg Woodie in Parade 2023.jpg (84.7 KB, 347 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 04:09 PM   #8
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I could get a close up if you would like. The gutters are satin black anodized aluminum from an RV supply place. I remember they were 36.00, not sure if that was apiece or the pair. I won't be taking this thing to Pebble Beach but it looks respectable in it's own homespun way.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 04:32 PM   #9
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmather View Post
It's several inches too short, so I don't think its stretchable sadly.

Need some weight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A9330.jpeg (70.5 KB, 349 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 04:43 PM   #10
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Need some weight.

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 09-10-2023, 06:01 PM   #11
Model "A" Fords

There are many types of truck tarp material and material for those accordion style full covers for transport trailers. Look for a manufacturer of these items and and bring a sample of what you are looking for.

Also check out pool cover, hot tub cover, and awning material that now comes in styles, colors, and makeup that seems never ending. Just picture your roof and match the material needed then rename it roof material.

I was pleasantly surprised to find some truck tarp material that looked and felt like my seat cushion material and can handle the hot, cold and wet weather without any issues.
When I chose the correct style material for my job they asked if I would like it in a different weight. They showed samples of four different weights of all the same color and texture. I had the luxury of buying a heavier material that no one can notice unless they cut it open.

After years of punishment I realized the lighter material would have been more than required.
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 06:22 PM   #12
mrtexas

My woodie is complete less final wiring. Missing a piece of tan hidem. LB went bankrupt before they could ship my hidem.
Old 09-11-2023, 12:40 AM   #13
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
My woodie is complete less final wiring. Missing a piece of tan hidem. LB went bankrupt before they could ship my hidem.

Old 09-11-2023, 10:01 AM   #14
Karl Wescott

I have 1/3 roll (about 100 yards), 66" wide, in stock of fine grain vinyl top material (used on Model A sedans).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1051.jpg (23.0 KB, 216 views)
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 10:29 AM   #15
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wescott View Post
I have 1/3 roll (about 100 yards), 66" wide, in stock of fine grain vinyl top material (used on Model A sedans).

Old 09-11-2023, 03:30 PM   #16
deuce_roadster

People who work with vinyl will tell you that it stretches in one direction but not the other. When installing the top on my 40 woodie, I did it outside on a hot sunny day with help, and it stretched across quite a bit but not the long way. We tacked it several times and kept pulling it making it tighter before putting the rain gutters back on. I used small square head screws that fit in the gutters, not Phillips, so in the future, the rain gutters could be removed without damage. Unfortunately, when I bought it, the only top material that came in that width was black, and 37-40s had brown tops so before putting the rain gutters on, I masked off the whole car and sprayed brown vinyl dye on the top. Luckily yours should be black.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 04:27 PM   #17
sawzall

i recently purchased a roll of 64 inch wide long grain for a fairly good price.
its technically incorrect for my 32, however I doubt I will ever find the correct and if I do, I'll simply redo it.

I should have enough to do several cars. and may have some avail for sale if your interested.
Old 09-12-2023, 12:43 AM   #18
deuce_roadster

I would contact Karl Wescott and buy a piece long enough to do your car. Probably no upholstery vendor or supplier will have what you need.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 04:41 PM   #19
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
People who work with vinyl will tell you that it stretches in one direction but not the other. When installing the top on my 40 woodie, I did it outside on a hot sunny day with help, and it stretched across quite a bit but not the long way. We tacked it several times and kept pulling it making it tighter before putting the rain gutters back on. I used small square head screws that fit in the gutters, not Phillips, so in the future, the rain gutters could be removed without damage. Unfortunately, when I bought it, the only top material that came in that width was black, and 37-40s had brown tops so before putting the rain gutters on, I masked off the whole car and sprayed brown vinyl dye on the top. Luckily yours should be black.
My gosh, you bring back painful memories!
Like you, I'd done the installation on a very hot day and yep, in the sun.
Still, the corners in the back caused me fits. I ended up using a heat gun with great fear. Shrunk the vinyl just enough to smooth the corners out nicely. I was so afraid of damaging the vinyl and having to start afresh.

Painted the top on mine just as you did. Came out very nice and has held up wonderfully. Getting the vinyl clean enough to apply the paint was not fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5636.jpg (62.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 09-12-2023, 04:55 PM   #20
DavidG

I was fortunate in two ways, the '32 station wagons had black roof material and I obtained enough of the original material, pyroxylin cloth, so I did not have to worry about stretching it as it does not stretch in any direction. The two rear corners required some thought.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote