Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #1
flathead34

Default '35 Shifter Question

I replaced the tranny in my '35 with a 16 spline '36 helical gear tranny. Can I use my '35 shifter assembly (40-7221) or do I need to use a '36 shifter assembly (68-7221). It seems to me the '35 shifter assembly should work. I want to keep the '35 shifter look. Thanks, Mike
flathead34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:10 PM   #2
flatheadfan

Default Re: '35 Shifter Question

Mike-

I think you are going to be out of luck. As I recall, I tried something like this years ago. I found the shifter hitting the dash as I attempted to shift. I guess this could be "manageable" if didn't need to use second or reverse gear! The closest you can get to the "'35 look" is with a '39 shifter. Unfortunately, these shift leavers are getting hard to find and pricey when you do find one.

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:14 PM   #3
Barn Junk

The issue is that the 1st/rev fork on the 1932-35 shifter top is narrower that the 1936up fork to match the change in the wider slot for the 1936up low gears. I have seen the earlier fork widened out (ground about 1/8 inch on each side) to match the later gear and it works OK but would be weakened somewhat (no speed shifting). I use this setup in one of my 1934 coupe successfully.
Barn Junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

The '35 shifter top assembly will not work correctly on the '36 transmission. The length and throw of the lower end of the two shift levers are different and I believe the forks are also different. I would use a '36 to '38 shifter top assembly and shift lever. You will need to either modify the opening in your '35 sheet metal transmission cover or find a '36 cover. The openings in these covers are slightly different between the two years because the '35 shifter tower slants back on an angle, while the '36 and later towers are straight up.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 03-22-2014 at 02:23 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:25 PM   #5
svm99

You can modify the shape of the shift lever which is above the shift tower to match that of your '35 shifter. I carefully heat and bend the shift lever to match the shape I need. The shifter is still strong as long as you don't over heat the area.

Good luck. Paul
svm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
flathead34

Thank you so much guys. Now I understand the differences between a '35 and '36 shifter. Now I can now make something work. Mike
flathead34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #7
Charlie ny
BANNED

CAREFULLY open up the 1st and rev fork to match the dimension of the
'34...equal amount both sides..., might not need to go 1/8, it'll look a bit weak but
it works ok. Heat and bend the stick....easy as you go.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:52 PM   #8
Barn Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
The '35 shifter top assembly will not work correctly on the '36 transmission. The length and throw of the lower end of the two shift levers are different and I believe the forks are also different. I would use a '36 to '38 shifter top assembly and shift lever. You will need to either modify the opening in your '35 sheet metal transmission cover or find a '36 cover. The openings in these covers are slightly different between the two years because the '35 shifter tower slants back on an angle, while the '36 and later towers are straight up.
In my experience as long as you don't try and mix the early top/forks with late shift handles or vice/versa, both tops provide the same distance movement for and aft within the the transmissions. Have changed them around many times over the years to match the chassis without problems.
Barn Junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:50 AM   #9
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn Junk View Post
In my experience as long as you don't try and mix the early top/forks with late shift handles or vice/versa, both tops provide the same distance movement for and aft within the the transmissions. Have changed them around many times over the years to match the chassis without problems.
Barn Junk, I went back and checked some '36 vs. '35 shifter tops and you are correct, I was wrong in my earlier post. Although the forks in these tops are different, the '35 top should work on the '36 trans if the 1/R fork is modified slightly as Charlie, NY suggests. We can learn something new on these old Fords every day, if we have a mind to .

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote