Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 07:07 PM   #1
JRLampl

Default Burtz Block Update - Jan 2023

As we are coming into the new year, I thought it was time for a general update on the Burtz Block and related subjects. To date, we have delivered over 650 "New Engine Kits" and hundreds of new engines have been assembled and are running without any need for additional machine work.

Dennis Kliesen was one of the first buyers of a "New Engine Kit" and now has over 25,000 miles on his engine.

We have caught up on back orders and now have inventory at the warehouse so when an order is placed, it can be shipped immediately.

Every running engine including the now “well-known” #111 and #123 did not require any additional machine work before assembly.

The latest guides for building the "New Model A Engine" are as follows:
"Builders Guide" has been updated to 30 December 2022
"Doubling the Flow Area of a Model A Oil Pump" has been updated to 20 December 2022
"Installing an Oil Filter", 31 January 2021

The "Guides" can be found at www.modelaengine.com or www.BURTZBLOCK.com.

The BURTZBLOCK.com website is being updated to include the replacement cylinder block parts (cam bushings, studs, nuts, etc.) and the unique parts that may be needed (analog relief valve, seals, and special bolts)

Update on the blocks #111 and #123
The block kits, #111 and #123, which had previously been rejected by a customer, were sent to Tim McMaster at Hanford Auto Parts for a second opinion.

Tim McMaster is a professional engine builder and holds the distinction of having the fastest Ford Y-Block engine at Bonneville. He has been a Y-Block and Flathead V-8 builder for many years and upon seeing the "New Model A Engine" has become very interested in maximizing its horsepower by adding high-performance speed equipment

Tim completed the assembly of the engines #111 and #123 and they can both be seen running here:
#111 https://www.facebook.com/1443536485/...51452450111635
#123 https://www.facebook.com/1443536485/...83013788926695

We are happy to report that each of the erroneous claims made by the customer who returned these two block kits, has been proven to be false by Tim McMaster who completed the assembly of these engines without any additional machine work.

We plan to be at the Turlock, CA Swap meet on January 28 and 29, 2023 in Building 1, across from the snack bar, and are offering a "Special Event" discount on the Engine Block Kit, 6.5 head, flywheel, and camshaft for those that attend the meet and leave a deposit. We hope to see many of you there. Please stop by.

And on a final note, Tim McMaster of Hanford Auto Supply will be hosting a seminar on the Burtz Block engine kit and builds on February 18th. Terry Burtz will give a talk about the engine design and will lead the Q & A. Tim plans to show the two Burtz Engines (#111 & #123) installed and running in cars along with a 3rd engine on a break-in stand; there will be a lot of opportunity for an up-close look at running engines along with piece part examination of the "New Engine" parts. An event pricing discount will be offered to those in attendance. For further information, please contact David Martinez at (559) 288-0986 or Tim McMaster at (559) 759-7171. We hope to see you there.

Happy motoring!

John Lampl
Old 01-12-2023, 08:33 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: Burtz Block Update - Jan 2023

At our National Model A meet late last year, a talk was given about these engines. It was packed. Everybody had heard about the new engines and wanted to know more. Of the 160 or so entries, I know of 3 cars attending that were already fitted with one (mine included). It comes as no surprise to me that when people learn that I have one in my car, they want to see it. In many cases, I get the feeling that they are disappointed by what they see - it looks just like an original. Go figure!
It's that "wolf in sheep's clothing" thing that I like.

Last edited by Synchro909; 01-12-2023 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-12-2023, 09:24 PM   #3
McMimmcs

what is total cost start to finish ( block, parts and labour ) if you have a professional assemble and install the engine?
Old 01-12-2023, 10:37 PM   #4
ModelA29

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
what is total cost start to finish ( block, parts and labour ) if you have a professional assemble and install the engine?
It's going to vary by shop and what they charge per hour. Also if you decide to use some old parts or new ones like cam, valves, head, oil pump, water pump, nuts/bolts, etc. I was working on a spread sheet that lists everything needed. It was just over $1,000 (in addition to all the new parts they offer) for all new parts plus you'd need to acquire and refurb things like the oil pan, carb, manifolds, etc. I was hoping a supplier would make up a "Burtz Assembly" kit that includes all the little pieces.
Old 01-13-2023, 07:09 AM   #5
jack backer
BANNED

Huh, I’ll be damned, those two engines assembled fine?….where is the video guy now? Where is the public apology?
Old 01-13-2023, 07:17 AM   #6
Aretino

China is our enemy
Old 01-13-2023, 08:33 AM   #7
eagle

I have no personal experience with the Burtz engines, but from everything I see and hear they are trying very hard to supply quality products and customer service. Kudos to them, it is not a common theme anymore.
Old 01-13-2023, 09:22 AM   #8
jack backer
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aretino View Post
China is our enemy

Actually American business interests and capitalism created the China phenomenon.. exploiting 20 cent an hour labor. As thing have evolved high quality is available at a great price.. the Chinese are tied to us, as we to them.
Old 01-13-2023, 09:45 AM   #9
Dino's A

Thanks John for the update. I also vote for offering a complete motor option

Thanks Again,
Dino F.
Old 01-13-2023, 11:10 AM   #10
Mulletwagon

Given the pressurized lubrication system - what is the sustained high speed capability of a Burtz engine ?
Old 01-13-2023, 11:37 AM   #11
Jeff/Illinois

Yes thank you John for the update

Good to hear, good news!
Old 01-13-2023, 11:49 AM   #12
ThosD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack backer View Post
Actually American business interests and capitalism created the China phenomenon.. exploiting 20 cent an hour labor.
Having earned a living in supporting offshore manufacturing, I totally agree.
Old 01-13-2023, 04:24 PM   #13
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulletwagon View Post
Given the pressurized lubrication system - what is the sustained high speed capability of a Burtz engine ?
When the prototype engine was assembled, didn't they find it had zero oil pressure (later found to be a missing oil gallery plug) but they took it up to 3,500 rpm (that's 75 mpg with standard gearing) and held it there for 6 hours? Then, they put it in a car and took it for a long drive including up Pykes Peak in Colorado. When they got back to California, the engine showed almost no sign of wear.
I don't have any reason to dispute any of that but if it's accurate, it speaks volumes about the durability of these engines.
Perhaps Terry might confirm or update what I said above.
I bought mine for its stamina. While I can't complain about the life I have had out of my specially built 3 bearing engine, I am expecting this one to be he holy grail for towing the camper trailer on trips thousands of miles long.
PS. The camper weighs in at about a ton and we tow at 50 mph day in, day out for months at a time. So far, the longest trip has been 12,000 miles.
Old 01-13-2023, 10:08 PM   #14
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRLampl View Post
As we are coming into the new year, I thought it was time for a general update on the Burtz Block and related subjects. To date, we have delivered over 650 "New Engine Kits" and hundreds of new engines have been assembled and are running without any need for additional machine work.

Dennis Kliesen was one of the first buyers of a "New Engine Kit" and now has over 25,000 miles on his engine.

We have caught up on back orders and now have inventory at the warehouse so when an order is placed, it can be shipped immediately.

Every running engine including the now “well-known” #111 and #123 did not require any additional machine work before assembly.

The latest guides for building the "New Model A Engine" are as follows:
"Builders Guide" has been updated to 30 December 2022
"Doubling the Flow Area of a Model A Oil Pump" has been updated to 20 December 2022
"Installing an Oil Filter", 31 January 2021

The "Guides" can be found at www.modelaengine.com or www.BURTZBLOCK.com.

The BURTZBLOCK.com website is being updated to include the replacement cylinder block parts (cam bushings, studs, nuts, etc.) and the unique parts that may be needed (analog relief valve, seals, and special bolts)

Update on the blocks #111 and #123
The block kits, #111 and #123, which had previously been rejected by a customer, were sent to Tim McMaster at Hanford Auto Parts for a second opinion.

Tim McMaster is a professional engine builder and holds the distinction of having the fastest Ford Y-Block engine at Bonneville. He has been a Y-Block and Flathead V-8 builder for many years and upon seeing the "New Model A Engine" has become very interested in maximizing its horsepower by adding high-performance speed equipment

Tim completed the assembly of the engines #111 and #123 and they can both be seen running here:
#111 https://www.facebook.com/1443536485/...51452450111635
#123 https://www.facebook.com/1443536485/...83013788926695

We are happy to report that each of the erroneous claims made by the customer who returned these two block kits, has been proven to be false by Tim McMaster who completed the assembly of these engines without any additional machine work.

We plan to be at the Turlock, CA Swap meet on January 28 and 29, 2023 in Building 1, across from the snack bar, and are offering a "Special Event" discount on the Engine Block Kit, 6.5 head, flywheel, and camshaft for those that attend the meet and leave a deposit. We hope to see many of you there. Please stop by.

And on a final note, Tim McMaster of Hanford Auto Supply will be hosting a seminar on the Burtz Block engine kit and builds on February 18th. Terry Burtz will give a talk about the engine design and will lead the Q & A. Tim plans to show the two Burtz Engines (#111 & #123) installed and running in cars along with a 3rd engine on a break-in stand; there will be a lot of opportunity for an up-close look at running engines along with piece part examination of the "New Engine" parts. An event pricing discount will be offered to those in attendance. For further information, please contact David Martinez at (559) 288-0986 or Tim McMaster at (559) 759-7171. We hope to see you there.

Happy motoring!

John Lampl
Thank you John! It's my belief that a factory (anywhere in the word) that is ISO 9000 (or later) compliant is far more trustworthy than a small machine shop with outdated equipment and methods!
Old 01-13-2023, 10:08 PM   #15
ModelA29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack backer View Post
Huh, I’ll be damned, those two engines assembled fine?….where is the video guy now? Where is the public apology?

See Message 88 in this thread

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...=318159&page=5

Your business partner started threatening legal action. In fact, he demanded that I NOT publish the full video, and wants it to never be seen, and that's where people start wondering why I am silent. It's because there are lawyers involved now..............
If your business partner will stop the legal action direction he is headed, I would like to publish the video showing all the work Tim and I did to those blocks to make the cranks spin. John's video shows the cranks spinning, but not how we got to that point. There is a lot of good info in there, and Tim taught me a LOT that I really want to share with others.

Last edited by ModelA29; 01-14-2023 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-14-2023, 02:18 AM   #16
Dan McEachern

"Thank you John! It's my belief that a factory (anywhere in the word) that is ISO 9000 (or later) compliant is far more trustworthy than a small machine shop with outdated equipment and methods!"

You need to find another machine shop!
Old 01-14-2023, 06:47 AM   #17
jack backer
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelA29 View Post

Your business partner started threatening legal action. In fact, he demanded that I NOT publish the full video, and wants it to never be seen, and that's where people start wondering why I am silent. It's because there are lawyers involved now..............
If your business partner will stop the legal action direction he is headed, I would like to publish the video showing all the work Tim and I did to those blocks to make the cranks spin. John's video shows the cranks spinning, but not how we got to that point. There is a lot of good info in there, and Tim taught me a LOT that I really want to share with others.

I’m not involved with any business. The facts are clear in this matter. I believe legal action was warranted, folks invested a lot of money and time bringing a product to market and it’s clear the videographer didn’t weigh that, or the impact the video might have.. lessons like that should be painful. Once again it’s my opinion, and I don’t have a “dog in the hunt” as it were.
Old 01-14-2023, 01:54 PM   #18
JRLampl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelA29 View Post

Is there legal action? on the part of whom? I have not seen any..
Old 01-14-2023, 02:20 PM   #19
Dino's A

Obviously these motors do work. Hey, If you don't want one, then don't buy one.
For me, I want to build one someday, and learn how to do it. But if you just want
to post only negative views on it, then you can, but you'll look bad because there
are many happy Burtz owners out there having a great time. I'm going to be one of them
someday!
Old 01-14-2023, 06:48 PM   #20
shew01

Default Burtz Block Update - Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRLampl View Post
Is there legal action? on the part of whom? I have not seen any..

So, you are denying the threat of a law suit? You and your lawyers never threatened the owner of the two engines that were in dispute with a law suit, correct?

Please be clear. Just because WE haven’t seen a law suit doesn’t mean you or your lawyers didn’t threaten one.

If you and your lawyers didn’t threaten him with any law suits, please make that clear in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by shew01; 01-14-2023 at 07:06 PM.
Closed Thread