Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #21
Joe/Ct

Wink Re: Flathead highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
We're getting ready to install the Columbia in the Zephyr, should make a big difference in highway driving as the Zephyr came stock with a 4.44 rear.
Vic,

You're going to love the Columbia 2-speed. We have one installed in our '39 coupe, with 78's on the rear, and just effortly cruise down the highway with no strain at all. In fact, I like to run in high range all the time (except start-ups on steep hills); does especially good in 2nd gear. (Sorry, I don't know what I've got in the rear but I believe it to be a standard banjo.)

Joe

"The older I get, the better I was"
Joe/Ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:17 PM   #22
PeterC

Default Re: Flathead highway speeds - Stopping!

Both my 35 and 39 have Columbia's and warmed over flattys so 80 is comfortable to attain - that said - stopping is a MAJOR problem if you have a dire emergency in front of you. Both cars have juice brakes - the 39 stock and the 35 having big Lincoln Bendix units. Even so - a past experience with the 39 traveling at 65-70 when over a hill traffic was at a dead stop in my lane - there was no way my Coupe would ever halt at the rate of modern cars so my only choice was a quick move to the right lane which gave me more room to stop. I will never forget that feeling of knowing I could not haul that 39 down in time so I drive slower top end even though it is capable of faster speed.
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:07 PM   #23
Kahuna

Default Re: Flathead highway speeds

I certainly agree with PeterC re the brake issue. My 39 coupe has the stock original brakes. They work well, but I tend to avoid hi speed in that car. The gearing is not great, as it has a 4.11 axle without overdrive. It's happiest about 55 mph. My 32, which is not quite road ready, is quite different. It has the Lincoln brakes in front and Ford 150 brakes in the rear. The car is also geared with a 4.11 axle, but has a Gear Vendors O/D. I have high hopes that it'll both keep up with traffic and at the same time stop real well. Time will tell
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:38 PM   #24
lee34

The ratio is stamped on the center section near the pinion gear.It will be the number of teeth on pinion and ring gear.A couple good ratio would be a 11/44 (4.44) or a 9/37 (4.11) lee34
lee34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:21 PM   #25
Karl Wolf

The family station wagon was a 53 Ford, box stock... At 17 years old, I was on the way back from a flying lesson, J3 Piper... I decided to try out the old Ford, burried the speedo- it went to 100... Quite a bit faster than the plane...
Never told Dad...
Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:46 PM   #26
Brendan

50 is tops fpr my 36 pickup, i don't like to push it harder then that, also i still have mechanical brakes!

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:02 AM   #27
Kurt in NJ

39 standard --60hp ---very happy to buzz up the parkway at 70 --never finished a parade running --after 1 hour sleep --happy to do 70 on the parkway again.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:58 AM   #28
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe/Ct View Post
Vic,

You're going to love the Columbia 2-speed. We have one installed in our '39 coupe, with 78's on the rear, and just effortly cruise down the highway with no strain at all. In fact, I like to run in high range all the time (except start-ups on steep hills); does especially good in 2nd gear. (Sorry, I don't know what I've got in the rear but I believe it to be a standard banjo.)

Joe
Thanks Joe, I'm looking forward to driving the Zephyr with the Columbia. I’ve also got a '49 Merc three speed OD transmission that I plan to install in our '53 F-100 Panel Truck. Hopefully both the Zephyr and Panel Truck will be more enjoyable to drive on the highway. Vic
Old 04-20-2011, 06:51 AM   #29
danliveshere

When I was young and silly I would take the roadster to 100mph(59a with offy heads and twin carbs etc, 3.78 rear, hydraulic brakes). It would sit all day at 60-65 mph, never get hot, and felt good on the road. Anything over 70mph felt dangerous.Traveled nearly 70000 miles like this. Once it is restored it will be most unlikely to get over 60.... you cannot pull a car up compared to moderns with abs, etc. Plus other drivers are distracted looking at the car driving....and not where they are supposed to be. Might be a bit wiser now.
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:23 AM   #30
Mike51Merc

For a video of two flatties going somewhere in excess of 90 MPH

Go here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnG-nLwT01U

At 21 seconds is a 51 Ford Deluxe with a 239, OD, headers and two 94s

At 22 seconds is my 51 Merc, 255, OD, headers, and two 48s.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:01 AM   #31
Frank Miller

For an accurate speed I use my GPS. Speedo in the 49 reads a hair slow. 80 is no problem. It is true what some say about handling and stopping. The only way to make them totally safe is to not drive them.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:33 AM   #32
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Just posted this elsewhere: Isk Dream Wheel is now reproduced for calculating your R's in a proper analog style:
http://www.honestcharley.com/iskende...-computer.html
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #33
Ol' Ron

There are several company's that offer a conversion to disk brakes for the stock early Ford and rather than adapt the late drum brakes, I'm going to the disks.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #34
Byron Warwick

I try to avoid driving on the freeways. I run a 1954 Meteor engine with all the rest as Henry. It runs comfortable at 55 to 60 MPH. Lots of wind noise with the windshield cranked out part way. I have not driven for extended hours, but I'm going to push it for the trip to Auburn in August. Long time and going to try I-69 for the 6 or 7 hour trip.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #35
B-O-B

You want to read about brakes in a situation look up rumbleseats post about his bad summer.
No one mentioned what tire combo they are running !
I ran the 34 5W with 4:11s down the interstate in the slo lane & kept up with traffic but that flatty was a hummin. Made a 50 mile one way trip to Caldwell Idaho & interstate speed limit is 75. I also had 16" wire wheels. The tires were old but had tubes so I wasn't too concerned. I do have a lap belt & wear it. Worst part was I was going to get fuel on the return trip but ran out before I got there gauge doesn't work. Not a fun way to spend a saturday afternoon on the interstate. Had to walk a couple miles to a wally world store for a can & fuel & walk back. Stupid me ran the battery down trying to prime it to start it. I only bought the small gas can(1gal) & the car was on the shoulder & listing to the passinger side & there wasn't enough gas to reach the pickup tube. When it coughed the first time I pulled the choke out to try to make it to an exit but only made it about half way so the carb was bone dry & with the car on the fairly steep shoulder the elec pump couldn't pickup the 1 gal of fuel. Lucky help finally arrived in a mercedes with a young beautiful blonde driving (NO KIDDING). Only problem was her husband was also along. She insisted on helping this old geezer & they made a couple of trips to get me fuel & a battery. I insisted on filling the mercedes (which ran on premium) & later that week I took them a couple bottles of wine. I didn't mind the expense cause it would have been cheaper than a tow job & no way was I going to leave that car parked along the side off I-84. I now carry extra fuel & jumper battery when taking that car . NOPE don't have a cell phone & don't want one.
Hope you all didn't mind my long winded hi-jack of this post.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:15 PM   #36
Kahuna

Good story, Bob. Now, get the gas gauge fixed, cuz the odds are now against you having another "Blond" stop and help.
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:27 PM   #37
B-O-B

I have the gauge repaired just need to get home & install it. On second thought maybe lightening will strike twice in the same area. heh heh he
I spent about 30 minutes typing another incident about a couple blowouts & a female Hi-way patrol & tire warranties. I lost it so will try that one again another Day. Damn I'm whizzed.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:53 AM   #38
Gumpy

With a 40 coupe with 3:78 rear end ratio with a 51 mercury stocker It runs 70mph

on the freeway....with quick accelaration if needed.....
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:23 PM   #39
OldDad

Here's a story from "back when" I think you might enjoy. Old Dad (my avatar, who got that nick-name working at Blair's Speed Shop here in Pasadena after the war because he was married and had a kid already at 19) was driving from Pasadena to Reno, NV on 395 late at night after work in his '33 Tudor. He had a built flathead in it with Zephyr gears, etc. He drove fast, as it was late at night and nobody on the road. Out ahead of him he spotted a couple of taillights twinkling away in the distance, which he never seemed to gain on, even though he was traveling fast. Finally, curiosity got the best of him, so he stepped it up a bit just to see what it was barreling along ahead of him. He hit 90, 95 and finally caught up with what turned out to be a cattle truck (!) that was rocking down the road. So, he just had to pull out and pass him at about 100, and blasted on by and left the truck behind. Later, he pulled into town and stopped for some coffee, and when he came back out to the car he found the hood ajar. Apparently that trucker was curious how an old '33 Ford was able to pass him that rate of speed!

My dad had a friend who used to drive back and forth from Pasadena to the University of New Mexico after the war in his '38 Tudor. He'd get out of town and then step it up to 85-90, and then pull out the hand throttle (yikes!) and use that as a prehistoric cruise control across the desert. Not recommended by me, that's for sure. Myself, 70 is about all I'm interested in driving mine. But I think it's interesting to know that these cars were certainly exercised back when they were regular transportation.
OldDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #40
toddle321

My '36 Cabriolet with an LB engine and Columbia will run 75 all day without too much trouble. I have lincoln juice brakes. I've had a couple close calls similar to the guys above on the highways of Chicago, so I cruise around 60-65 and leave myself lots of room.
toddle321 is offline   Reply With Quote