Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2015, 06:05 PM   #21
Bruce in southern OH

Default Re: The Model A Members Album

Talked to this guy today, I was told that it was two payments of about $49 plus change, also surprised that we are on a list that is given out, waiting on a call for health insurance next from MARC!!???
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:12 PM   #22
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSunoco View Post
... It all hits the garbage as soon as it arrives...
I bought one of these to place next to my recliner so that when I'm reading the mail I can sort it properly without having to get up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Recycle bin.jpg (26.8 KB, 6 views)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:25 PM   #23
Hicktick

Well I guess I aint as sharp as I should be ,., 124.00 for a book coming next May ,., She wanted to know about my car and was surprised hen I told her I didn't have one ,., But I am looking for a caretakers position ., Oh Well my card came from MARC,.,

Old 10-27-2015, 07:25 PM   #24
BILL WILLIAMSON

Some COMPANIES/PEOPLE would sell their SOULS, for a BUCK!!
Bill W.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:52 PM   #25
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
I bought one of these to place next to my recliner so that when I'm reading the mail I can sort it properly without having to get up.
Carl I LIKE that have to get me one too
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:33 PM   #26
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Carl,
Try shredded junk mail, manure, & 16-16-16 fertilizer, to grow plants in pots! (REALLY)
Bill W.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:04 PM   #27
Fred K-OR

If you think your private info is safe and is not passed around, just key in your name into Google and see what everybody knows about you.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:56 AM   #28
Charlville

Guys, I work in the area of Information Security and I'd suggest you check who the clubs that you belong are sharing/selling your information with? Over here and I'm sure it's the same in most countries, you can request an explaination of what they are doing with your data and ask them to stop sharing if you are not comfortable. You'd be amazed who your information can end up being shared with, and they are not all the nicest folks....
Sporadic progress on My 1929 Sport Coupe can be found here along with my blog
http://automotiveamerican.com/
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:40 AM   #29
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
It's very hard today to keep one's privacy...

Been saying this all along. The world is getting smaller and smaller, not just in space but in privacy also. That old saying "Small World" is becoming an everyday occurrence.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:23 AM   #30
Rod in IHB

Did not go on Ford barn yesterday,wish I had.Recieved a email from MARC asking for assistance,Made the call,encountered a hard sell for a book,hung up.I Then tried to respond to the MARC e-mail and found out it did not come from MARC.Short story,e-mailed the president resigning from MARC.I do not think it necessary to go into the implant ions of a scam.{first A 28 Tudor in 1940} Rod Whelan
Rod in IHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:55 AM   #31
CarlG

Just out of curiosity, I retrieved the card I received from my recycle bin last night. I looked it over carefully. There was no mention of it being other than from MARC, except for the addresses and phone numbers were not the same as those in the magazine. No reference to Harris-Connect at all. It did say that this was a MARC Project though, and bore the likeness of the MARC logos and signatures as well.

It went right back in the recycle bin.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 10-28-2015, 11:33 AM   #32
Hicktick

I just got an e-mail ,., with Tax and stuff $133.00
Late May

Old 10-28-2015, 11:58 AM   #33
HoarseWhisperer

If this was actually from MARC, wouldn't you think it would be mentioned on their website?

I tried to forward this email scam to MARC so they can take action, but cannot find an actual email address for MARC and their contact page is not working.

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:00 PM   #34
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoarseWhisperer View Post
If this was actually from MARC, wouldn't you think it would be mentioned on their website?

I tried to forward this email scam to MARC so they can take action, but cannot find an actual email address for MARC and their contact page is not working.
It is not a scam. This is an effort by the Board to market a book, unfortunately the information was not in the last issue of the Model A News.

Here is a list of the Board if you wish to contact them with your questions and concerns.

http://model-a-ford.org/contact-us/board-of-directors/

Board of Directors

Terry Deters
President
PH: 419-466-5800
Email: [email protected]
Gary Johnson
Vice President
PH: 248-895-8965
Joe Valentine
Secretary
PH: 845-926-2751

Jerry Braasch
Treasurer
PH: 920-688-2294
Ken Ehrenhofer
Director of Membership
and Public Relations
PH: 630-697-3906
Larry Sadoski
Director of Publications
and Library
PH: 815-715-1991
Ross Milne
Director of Regions
PH: 905-455-6615

- See more at: http://model-a-ford.org/contact-us/b....lVnrgVpl.dpuf

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?

Last edited by 160B; 10-28-2015 at 12:08 PM.
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:18 PM   #35
Roadster Rich

I was one of those who did "sign up" yesterday morning. After seeing all these responses, I called back today to cancel. I must say that the company (Harris Connect) seemed very much on the "up and up" and did commit to refund the credit card right away. I will probably put a hold on the payment anyway. But to me, this still may be worth it to get a DVD or Book if enough of us members did have their cars in the book and the short "story" that goes along with the cars. I will hold until I see just how many do participate with some pictures or stories, before I decide to pay for something.

Short Summary, I am pretty sure it is not a scam, but it sure would have made sense for the club to let us all know they were involved in this. I bet it has a pretty bad turn out due to the way it happened.
Roadster Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:20 PM   #36
Roger V

The NEW MARC Coffee Table Directory!!!

It is with great pleasure and excitement that your MARC Board of Directors announces the offering of a beautiful full color “coffee table book” to share with your family and friends. This book will contain high quality photos of your Model “A” along with other information supplied only by you (your privacy is both respected and assured!). This special edition is being published exclusively for the Model “A” Restorers Club by Harris-Connect and will feature an introduction, list of regions, photos, member profiles and much more! This is a great opportunity to stay or get connected with other Model “A” owners around the globe in a “picturesque” way and to enjoy the beautifully arranged photographs and text.

As a MARC member, you will be contacted by telephone by a representative from Harris-Connect who will courteously request your profile information and a photo of your Model “A”. Remember: YOU will be in charge of how much or how little personal information is shared in this book. Please take a moment to consider the purchase of this beautifully bound volume as a way to show your pride in this great hobby.

Should you have any questions regarding the book, its purchase, or Harris-Connect, please feel free to contact the MARC office at: 734.427.9050 or [email protected].

| friend on Facebook | forward to a friend

Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser.
Copyright © 2015 Model A Restorers Club, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this notice because you are a member of MARC, and are a region or individual member of the club and have inquired about MARC. We do not solicit or sell our lists to anyone ever.
Our mailing address is:
Model A Restorers Club 6721 Merriman Rd
Garden City, MI 48135

Add us to your address book
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:03 PM   #37
Old182

Well, it seems there's a negative vibration regarding the MARC members album. Although the announcement timing could have been a lot better, the book itself is very much like the one published about 10 years ago for MARC by the same company. Harris Connect is a legitimate publisher that has recently produced similar books for the Model "T" Club, EAA Warbirds of America, the Pontiac GTO Club, and numerous colleges, universities and other organizations. And yes, they help non-profits raise funds.

When Harris approached MARC, there was a lot of discussion regarding the sharing of personal information and who would provide it. MARC necessarily had to supply enough info for Harris to make calls, but all information contained in the book will come from YOU the member. Neither the MARC Board nor the office has any interest whatsoever in providing anyone with the personal information of its members - now or at any time - ever! Our contract with Harris clearly states that no information may be shared with third parties except in the process of printing and packaging. I can guarantee that the MARC attorney will vigorously pursue any breach of that section of the contract.

Personally (and I think I can speak for the Board), the intent of this book was to provide MARC members with the opportunity to purchase a snap shot of who we are at this time in history and do it in a pictorial way that everyone could enjoy. The only bits of personal information published would be whatever the member provides - no more - no less. There was no intent in separating you from your hard earned cash or to sell your personal information to turn a profit. We were hopeful our members would see the benefits to owning this publication, but the negative comments here are overwhelmingly - well - negative. Apologies to all who are offended. To those who are not, please visit harrisconnect.com for more information on the publisher and please consider the purchase of this volume to add to your collection of Model "A" literature.

Joe Valentine
Secretary, MARC
Old182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:09 PM   #38
denis4x4

This is certainly not a new concept. Unfortunately, there are a lot of scam artists out there using this concept. As an outside observation, MARC could have done a better job presenting this to the membership.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:48 PM   #39
CarlG

I did not get an eMail, just the card in the mail. Exact same card I got from them several months back, only then it was AACA. Did not see this in either of the publications from the respective clubs. Like Dennis said, both clubs could have done a better job of presenting this to the membership.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 10-28-2015, 06:52 PM   #40
Old182

The benefits of owning the member album are no less than buying a T shirt from Atlantic City or Disney World. It's a souvenir photo album of the membership of your club at a point in time. I wouldn't equate it to the benefit of a new set of spark plugs or even an oil change but it will outlast both and can at the least be a conversation piece when trying to explain to your neighbors what a Model "A" is and what the different body styles look like on real cars that exist today around the world. Hopefully, members' stories would make for interesting reading as well.

I purchased the previous edition and didn't like it. This book will be better and the contract has been rewritten to be more favorable to MARC and its members. For example, MARC has insisted that should your information not be included in this publication through no fault of your own, you will get your money back including shipping both ways.

Any royalties MARC receives from the sale of this book belong to you the members of the Model "A" Restorers Club. No person or persons (except the members) derive any financial reward for selling this book. In fact, it's a helluva lot of work putting the thing together but the Board feels it's worth the effort and so here we are. I'm sure any royalty figures will be documented in the financial reports from the MARC treasurer in due time. A public forum such as Ford Barn is not the appropriate place to discuss club finances. Hope this helps (some).

Joe Valentine
Secretary, MARC
Old182 is offline   Reply With Quote