Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-20-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
allford

Default How to remove windshield frame

I need some help and advice. I have a 1937 ford pick up and i want to remove the entire wndshield unit. This truck has been settig for about 60 years in a barn but is rough, it set out side before it was parked in the barn. By the looks it had a rough life on the farm I have most of the body work done, and I want take out the windshield frame. How do you do this? i sprayed as much as I could with pentrating oil and i got the regulator to move and the frame is now swinging out. All the glass is broken out. How do you get the control knob off? I see some small screws around the frame when the frame is swung out. Anyone have a pictural drawing of the unit or maybe a parts drawing of the unit?
I also see the hindges inside above the windshield I have those soaking with oil. i think I can figure the thing out but i need some help getting started, and how in heck can the control knob comes out of the dash?
Thanks in advance

Al

h
allford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
37 truck

Default Re: How to remove windshield frame

I just removed my windshield frame, and they can be a struggle. The upper dash comes off from the cab, and the crank handle will come off with it. The crank handle is held on by a clip inside the dash panel. The upper hinges will have to be taken off the windshield frame, or drilled out if they are frozen. The hinges remove through the access panels. The regulator is bolted to the dash with two bolts from underneath. Good luck!
37 truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
V12Bill

To make life a little easier, you can remove the pins that hold the hinges to the header. It would be easier to remove the hinge to window frame screws on a bench rather than on the car. The same can be said of the regulator at the bottom of the frame. I think there are 3 bolts that hold the regulator to the upper dash . Remove both upper and lower valances first.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
Dick

Here are some pictures - hope they help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '37 bare dash.jpg (17.5 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg '37 Dash cover.jpg (13.1 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg '37 Dash cover 2.jpg (13.0 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg '37 upper windshield mount.jpg (36.0 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg '37 Windshield Hinge.jpg (24.9 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg '37 Wndshld crank 1.jpg (37.6 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg '37 Wndshld crank 2.jpg (43.0 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg '37 Windshield hinge 1.jpg (43.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg '37 Windshield hinge 2.jpg (43.7 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by Dick; 09-22-2011 at 11:39 AM. Reason: add assembled hinge pics per request
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
allford

Thanks very much for the help. The pictures were very helpful , I will up date on my progress.

Thanks guys.

Al
allford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:55 PM   #6
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by allford View Post
Thanks very much for the help. The pictures were very helpful , I will up date on my progress.

Thanks guys.

Al
The regulator is bolted to the dash with two screws from the bottom. Look at the two slots in the pic below. Apparently, the two screws go up through the two slots visible in the pic. Seems like IF you can get the two screws out, and that if you can release the clip for the hand crank knob, the windshield frame should push open with the regulator still attached to it, so that you can get to the screws that you can't see now. I'm gonna suggest that YOU do all of this YOURSELF before-hand, as the morons that you will likely find at the local glass shop ain't gonna have a clue, nor are they gonna give a rat's ass about your antique truck problems. With that, he just might give it a shot with a hatchet and make what you have FUBAR! Good luck!! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 07-19-2017 at 02:03 PM.
V8COOPMAN is online now   Reply With Quote