Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
stovebolter46

Default cowl question

Hi guys, what is the difference(s) between a roadster cowl and any other cowls? I am thinking about buying some parts from a guy, and neither of us are sure if there are any differences. This will be my first model t, and i just want to be informed before I spend any money. If it matters, he said it is a 1927 cowl.

Also is there anything that I should look for. I don't have any other parts yet, should I start out with a frame, or can I go ahead and start with a body. I am on a pretty tight budget and i would like to go ahead with some purchases, but I will only be able to go piece by piece.

Any advice would be awesome.

thanks, Dave
stovebolter46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: cowl question

For 26-27: the roadster and touring used the same cowl, the coupe and 2door used the same cowl, the fordor and truck each had their own different cowls. There are plenty of cowls on the web just take some time to do a search. If it were me and I was building a T from the ground up I would start with the running gear and make sure you can get a title for it in your state before spending a lot of time and money on it.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
stovebolter46

Ok, thanks redmodelt. I have a friend that got a model A titled a few years back, so I think I should be alright there. It definitely sounds like a better plan to start with running gear first, I'm just not sure if I am going to go with model T, or A frame, motor etc.
stovebolter46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
t42

Dave,
Redmodelt's advise is very good. One advantage of the 26/27 models is their lack of wood, which can be very difficult to replace. Finding a sound 26/27 running gear and getting it in a safe operating condition would be my first choice also. Bodies are still available as are chassis. But whatever way you choose (T or A), do the research, it will help in your overall search for pieces. Good luck
t42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
ldj1002

Do like was said, get you a title first. You will have to do it sooner or later. Better to find out sooner if you can't. Over a period of several years I got maybe 8 or 10 titles then all of a sudden it has got more difficult and impossible in some cases. Another reason is that car incomplete isn't worth near as much as completed. When you do get a title,if you can, you will pay more tax because the difference between a $200 car it may be now and a $10,000 it may be when you get the title. Another reason is if you decide to sell the project at some time it will sell easier and for more with a title. I will never buy another car without a title. Getting bit once it all it took for me.
ldj1002 is offline   Reply With Quote