Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-15-2015, 06:21 PM   #1
ldj1002

Default New to me F-6 dump truck

I just got it today and moved it (pulled) about 3 miles to a safe keeping place until I can get a trailer to move it on home. I couldn't read tag on drivers side firewall. Tag in glove box reads Engine # 98RTH 308915 Series F-6 Model 9R-TH. On rt. head is cast 8B9 forgot to look at left head. Engine not stuck, I barely turned it. Before turning a lot I,will but some oil in cylinders. Can I turn oil pump with screw driver or something down where distributor mounts to prime and pressure up the oil gallys? By body it is a 48, 49, or 50, What can someone tell me about it from numbers I have supplied.
Leo
ldj1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:06 PM   #2
Ross F-1

Default Re: New to me F-6 dump truck

I believe it would be a '50 by that serial #.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:12 AM   #3
Barry-ct

The distributor runs off the cam and the oil pump is in the back of the engine. You have a 8BA/ 8RT series engine in there. I'd drain out the oil in the pan and drain the oil filter canister if equipped with one. Also change the filter itself. Add 5 qts of SAE 30 oil to the pan. Oil goes in the pipe sticking up off the intake with the cap. Do this when you get it moved to your house or where you're going to work on it. Putting oil in the cyls is a good idea if you're going to turn it over. Get a good 6 volt battery and remember, it's positive ground. Take all the cables from the battery and starter to solenoid off and clean them and the places they attach. Do that to the ground cables and where they attach also. Take a good look at your wiring under the hood and dash for any potential fire hazards. Don't want to start a fire after you have time and $$ invested in it. I'd take a look at the radiator and see if there's any coolant left in it. Look at the dirty oil for signs of coolant in there. If you drain the oil and you get water, then there may be trouble like a cracked block, blown head gasket, etc... people neglect them as it's an old truck, not worth anything to them and they just forget about it. Be prepared for that possibility. Hopefully, that won't happen to you.
If you get it to spin over decently, don't use starting fluid, nasty stuff on pistons. Use silicone spray as a starting fluid, safer on the engine. Have an extinguisher hand just in case. THese engines get stuck valves from sitting and be prepared for it to spit and fart out the carb or exhaust with stuck valves. Sometimes you can free them up by slowly putting Marvel Mystery oil down the carb. Be prepared for a cloud of oil smoke! I should have told you to clean the points in the dist before you try to start it as they get oxidized from sitting or even stuck together. Don't run it long without coolant, you'll do more damage. No more than a minute if that.
There's probably more info, but it's been a while since I've done this. Matter of fact, I have to wake up my flatty from a 2 year sleep!

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:03 PM   #4
ldj1002

Thanks very much. I sure didn't know about the positive ground.
ldj1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:36 PM   #5
corvette8n

Don't forget to post some pictures when you get a chance, I think big trucks are cool.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:23 PM   #6
Walt Dupont--Me.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I thought the F-6 use the Lincoln 337 engine. Not sure. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:39 PM   #7
38 coupe

The F-7 and F-8 trucks had the 337 motor. F-6 and smaller used the regular sized V8 or six motors.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote